Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Familiar Face

Default Oasis comments

My dh and I were on Oasis Feb. 6-13. These are my thoughts on the ship.

It was a beautiful ship. Central park is amazing and absolutely breathtaking at night. The Boardwalk area was really neat and the Aqua Theater was awesome. The Solarium was gorgeous and very tranquil, easily my favorite area on the ship.

However, it was REALLY crowded. Pretty much everywhere, all the time. I'm not sure how many passengers were onboard, but it was surprising to me how much more crowded this ship was than others I've been on. We've been on the Freedom twice, at full capacity, and never felt half as crowded. At times, the Promenade was almost shoulder to shoulder. I read others' reviews and they did not seem to have this problem.

I can see why some cruisers say you can forget you were at sea. We were blessed with storms and rough seas, so we unfortunately felt the ocean around us, but at times, I was almost desperate for a glimpse of the sea. Once I found the nice chairs on Deck 5 aft, I was happier. If you are one who NEEDS the easy access to the ocean, definately go with an oceanview balcony or be prepared to find limited public access to ocean views.

We also found the food to be subpar in the main dining room. We've taken 6 cruises in the last 12 months with RCCL now, so the menu is repetetive, but the quality was off. I suspect the crew is preparing meals on such a large scale that some of the quality suffers. We also found the windjammer to have very little variation at lunch. We did enjoy the Park Cafe for both breakfast and lunch, and the Solarium for breakfast, and both were free. The Seafood Shack was also good. We were unable to get reservations at Chops seeing as how we booked on this ship the day before it sailed.

The entertainment was good. We were able to book most shows from our stateroom TV once we were onboard, and never had a problem with our reservations. The comedy show kept trying to give us dates from December, and we never could get it fixed. We were told it was booked solid for the entire cruise when we went to the Box Office. Otherwise, we had no problems and enjoyed the shows. We did find that the usual free movie channels that play the same movie for your entire cruise were gone. It's all pay-per-view movies now or the basic CNN, ESPN, etc. The channel that shows the map of your itinerary, your current location, and the depth of the ocean where you are was also missing. I actually LOVED that channel, because it served as my in-stateroom clock, and it was always educational for my son.

We found our cruisemates to be mostly older couples or very young couples with small children. We had many rude cruisemates, and were really surprised at that. I know passenger mix is the luck of the draw, and we certainly didn't meet everyone onboard, but that was our overall impression. It was a very different environment than what what we're used to.

As a family with 2 children, we discussed bringing our children back for a future cruise on Oasis. We have decided against it for the time being, and are sticking to our smaller ships. I think the Freedom class are as big as we're comfortable with. While we enjoyed the Oasis, we wouldn't pay full fare to do it again.

So overall, it was a nice ship, but not our favorite. The Freedom class remains our favorite, although we do love the Monarch, and we're sticking to "small" ships.
Monarch OTS over and over and over again
Carnival Imagination 5/2009
Oasis OTS 2/2010
Grandeur OTS 3/2010
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Admiral

What a nice unbiased report. Thank you. It's very similar to what 2 of our agents had to say about it.

So, RCL still has not so good food. I'm tired of the excuses people give - primarily because they are cooking for large numbers don't expect decent food - I disagree.

The biggest complaint I've heard is the lack of seeing the ocean. That is 75% of why I cruise.

Thank you again - you have re-affirmed my decision not to sail on the Oasis anytime soon.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old March 4th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Thank you for your review. We will be sailing on her (doing a B2B), next month. I'm really anxious to see the ship. I have said all along that I may never want to sail again, but I have to, at least once!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old March 4th, 2010, 12:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Just a niggle but it would irritate me if I paid the price for Oasis- to find that the comedy shows were completely booked for the cruise ! Why have entertainments that can't be enjoyed by all
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:53 PM
First Mate

"The channel that shows the map of your itinerary, your current location, and the depth of the ocean where you are was also missing. I actually LOVED that channel, because it served as my in-stateroom clock, and it was always educational for my son."

We love that channel too and it is usually the only channel we have on in the room. Nice to see what time it is and to watch where the ship is and what the radar shows for the weather too. The quiet jazz music is also nice to have as back ground music in the room.Hope they add this back on before we go in October.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old March 4th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Were you able to see the water show, if so, how was that? What about the ice show, any good?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 4th, 2010, 08:07 PM
First Mate

very different from my experience. Probably the best food I have had on any RCCL ship ( I have done 17). I found the ship very uncrowded (our sailing was completely booked), in fact, I often wished the lounge areas were more crowded to make a better party atmosphere. Everybody's experience is different I guess. I also wish there were more access to the ocean.