Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I can tell you the other side of the coin.
People that I know, including myself enjoy cruising on RCL.
Different stroke for different folks.

TM
I hope that I'm not jinxing myself, but I have been on 17 cruises with Royal Caribbean and none of them have been bad. I have enjoyed each and every one of them. I really don't comment about the food because I can't cook AT ALL. (I once burned a hot dog - in boiling water. How pathetic is that? ) So for me, the food is really good (better than I get at home). Anyway, I always cringe when I hear about people having a bad experience on (any) cruise(s) because it is my favorite type of vacation. So I do hope the OP cruises again. Maybe not with Royal but with another cruise line if choice.

The only thing I can say about being the youngest (at 50) on board is maybe they were having a Gray Panther Party;-) Happy sailing
Old April 1st, 2010, 09:50 PM
Familiar Face

Never had a bad RCCL trip.Even the old ones my husband and I enjoyed. Our favorite was Serenade of the Seas from Puerto Rico, but would have loved another sea day!!! Ready for another one.
Serenade October 2010
Freedom May 2010

Fantasy Nov. 2009
Serenade 2009
Victory March 2008
Holiday 2007
Rhapsody of the Seas 2006
Paradise 2004
Monarch of the Seas 2002
Paradise 2000
Big Red Boat 3x
NCL Sunward II
Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
I disliked everything about my RC cruise many years ago. Not sure if I would ever cruise them again. People that I know were not happy with RC line and they cruise a few times a year.
There are two sides to every issue. I happen to know people who cruise RC several times a year and they love it. As a matter of fact I have a friend who is about to book the Liberty OTS for the 5th time
I have sailed twice on RC myself and will be cruising on them again later this month.
Of the ships that I have sailed on. the only one where I had a lousy experience belonged to the US Navy.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:45 PM
Captain

Default Royal Caribbean

In October, we will sail on Royal Cairbbean for the 18th and 19th times. We have NEVER had a bad cruise on this line. Some have been better than others, but not one has been "bad".

I'm suspicious of people who "know people who know people" who have had a bad experience. Too much gets lost in the translation......
Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:53 PM
Admiral

I guess the OP is a "One Hit Wonder" and won't be back. Makes me wonder when anyone posts just once then never comes back just how true the post is. :o

I have 16 Royal cruises completed and many more to come in the future so far have no complaints about anything. Always have an awesome cruise.

However everyone has different taste in food, entertainment and their expectations of a cruise. There are enough cruiselines out there for cruisers to have a choice. If one cruiseline is not to your liking there are others to choose from.

Happy cruising to all!!!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 4th, 2010, 03:00 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by catty View Post
Never had a bad RCCL trip.Even the old ones my husband and I enjoyed. Our favorite was Serenade of the Seas from Puerto Rico, but would have loved another sea day!!! Ready for another one.
I am going on Serenade in September. I have heard some really great things about her. I can't wait. I have never been the Southern route, but I am so looking forward to it.
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi On your toes,
I actually like the Southern route the best. Lots of nice ports to visit and only one or two sea days. I'm sure you will love Serenade of the Seas, beautiful ship, nice size and layout.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Many times I think, when people post and, don't get the sympathy they thought they would get..they read, and don't post again..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 5th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Many times I think, when people post and, don't get the sympathy they thought they would get..they read, and don't post again..
I think you're correct about that. It happens a lot but at least over here people are kind with their answers which isn't always the case.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 5th, 2010, 06:38 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Felx, I agree, with some sites flak jackets are needed..While we may not agree, we respond in a respectful manner, regardless.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 5th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Trip, the cruisemates posters are polite and classy, and are not here to hurt anyone's feelings.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!

Last edited by Manuel; April 5th, 2010 at 08:28 PM. Reason: word
Old April 6th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
When she takes another cruise she will be back with more whining.

TM
She did put her first and last name. I do not recommend people do that. If I care to take the time I could find out a lot about this person. My first and last name are on facebook. But you only add friends to Facebook so I think it's okay.I had over 10K in posts, none of them list my last name. There is a website called "please rob me" it pulls information off sites like Facebook etc. So don't list on this site if you are going out of town or out to dinner. Here is an article on this site. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...-burglars.html

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:18 AM
Familiar Face

The DH and I are going on her in October, [belated 25th anniversary presents to each other -1 year 4 mos late...haha] Glad to hear so many people love her. We last cruised in 2005 with our kids, no kids this trip! And we sprung for a balcony...can't wait!
Since I don't like to cook, I consider food I don't have to pack home from the grocery and fix myself to be a good deal...and if it is edible, even better.
I am glad to hear her plumbing problems are being overhauled before we get on her...but I always take air freshener with me...I'd take candles but they don't want open flames...the 'fake' candles are nice for 'romantic' nightlight...and they smell great too.
Everyone has their own tastes, I'm glad that we all are so different, it would be a boring world indeed if we all liked and disliked the same things...
Thanks for all the info..this site's been a great help in getting and keeping us excited and looking forward to our trip...
I think I've converted my DH to being a true cruise fan...we're already talking about booking the Oasis for next year?

Read and post cruise reviews
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Admiral

Never say never, We are now looking at RC for our next cruise. I think the newer ships might change our mind. It will be 11 years since our first and only cruise on RC so it's time to give it another try. We will be booking in the next six weeks or so. Were looking at Adventure of the sea and Serenade of the sea.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 5th, 2010, 10:03 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Aerogirl,
You can't go wrong with either, but keep in mind, more things to do on Adventure of the Seas...The Radiance class ships are by far the most beautiful ships on water, their atriums are the best.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 5th, 2010, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Question

Thanks Donna!
I'm going to sit down and look at both ships carefully. The Adventure only sails Nov 27,2011 to where we want to go. I'm not sure where it's going the other dates. I'm ok with the date it's just what works with my friends.

I do have a question. On the balcony suites it looks like you don't look straight down at the water, it looks like they sit back and overlook a deck. This could be a deal breaker for me.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014

Last edited by Aerogirl; August 5th, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

My wife and I just looked at this thread and she made an interesting observation.

We sailed the Radiance a few weeks earlier than the OP. We were in a Grand Suite. The observation that my wife made was that if we had not been in a suite, with the amenities, and had instead been in an inside or an outside cabin and had the bad food and other not so great things, that we encountered she would have considered it a bad cruise and would probably never again sail Royal Caribbean. (She now even asks if it's Royal Caribbean when I suggest a cruise. Her response is: "It isn't Royal Caribbean is it?)

People pay a relatively large amount of money to take these cruises and if something goes wrong and when other things happen it just adds to the bad feelings.

Yes: People should immediately address problems with the right people and they should realize that nothing is perfect but many cruisers don't spend hours on the boards like many of us do.

That leads to the reaction to this post. This person could have been just a drive by but in less than 24 hours they were labeled a "drive-by" by a number of people, including moderators. Most people aren't sitting on their computer waiting to see a response and then immediately saying something. It isn't a chat room. A person may get online once a day, in the evening, and check out what's online. If they get online and see the reaction there is no way they are going to respond.

This is the reason that ten years ago I came to Cruisemates. I asked a simple question on another board (the alcohol question) and when I returned the next day I had not received an answer to my question but I was labeled an alcoholic, rule breaker, thief to the cruise line and other derogatory remarks. That's when I came to Cruisemates and asked the same question. I received an answer and not a judgment.

So: I think we should pay more attention to what someone says and if we can address then do so and not be so quick to "label".

OK: I got that off my chest.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 5th, 2010, 11:55 AM
Admiral

I looked at a websites pictures of both ships and I see the balcony will over look the water. RC website makes it look different.

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 6th, 2010, 10:40 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
I looked at a websites pictures of both ships and I see the balcony will over look the water. RC website makes it look different.
Aerogirl,
On Radiance class a lot of the balcony cabins are in the recessed part. Especially most suites are in this area (except the ones at the stern and the “hump”). The promenade deck 5 decks below the suites is covered, thus you will not look down to it. On the other hand you are not looking directly down to the water either due to the cover over the promenade deck. The deck above the suites (pool deck) protrudes quite a lot, thus blocking the sun (but I guess that is common on most new ships). See this picture from sister ship Jewel of the Seas:

The balconies on Adventure are partly covered as the railing is not entirely made of glass, which can be seen in this picture from sister ship Voyager of the Seas:

I agree with Donna, You can’t go wrong with either of these ships.

/Erik
Old August 6th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Admiral

Mike you make good points. On this site I saw a post that shocked the heck out of me on the Carnival thread. A guy asked if he could order two entrees at the Sun King Resturant. The first group of posts didn't answer his question. Instead they talked about overeating, how one entree was enough, and how greedy he was. People on this site are not normally that way. So it shocked me. I didn't know the answer to his question so I couldn't help him. This thread didn't bother me. Some people affirmed the OP compliants. I think the only part of the OP's post that people had an issue with was the age thing.

I haven't cruise RCCL since 1994 not for any issues it just hasn't happened. I have a large concern with food, unlike some of the other posters I love to cook and in fact grow a garden so I can cook with the best stuff. I'm not a master chef or anything. My hubby also likes to cook and we try to out do each other. It's fun and he makes an amazing cashew brittle. I was making salsa last night with tomatoes from my garden and he came by to fix it up. He added mexi corn and beans. I liked his additions. Anyway I had a point it there somewhere.

Oh yeah now I remember, I'm worried we will get on an RCCL ship and the food will be horrible. This was our experience on Celebrity Infinity the food was super bad and they had no activites planned. I haven't cruised Celebrity since. That Celebrity cruise pushed us back to Carnival. But we are ready of a change of ships. The Carnival ships are starting to look the same to us. We need a new ship and new ports. RCCL's newer ships are just so pricey and if the food is terrible I would be upset to spend the money. I wish they would move a Freedom class ship to Galveston I would risk it for that.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old August 6th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Does anyone know if the plumbing problems have been fixed on the Radiance yet?

We sail her in 4 and half months and I am wondering if we should cancel and book Celebrity Century instead.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old August 6th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

momofmeg,

The plumbing work has been completed. I haven't seen any "issues" reported in reports from recent cruisers. You should be good to go.

Have fun!
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 6th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

My friend and his family boarded Radiance today. I will contact them and see if they have any plumbing problems; they are in a group of ten, so they have different size cabins. I will report back when I hear something.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old August 7th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were on Radiance in early June in Alaska and there were no plumbing or odor problems. We had a great cruise.
Bob
Old August 7th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1 View Post
My friend and his family boarded Radiance today. I will contact them and see if they have any plumbing problems; they are in a group of ten, so they have different size cabins. I will report back when I hear something.
What I heard was that Radiance was replacing pipes, deck by deck. Many said this caused bathrooms (toilets, sinks, showers) to not work etc. RCI said all the work would be completed by September 2010.

I just wanted to check and make sure before final payment. Our room is on deck 7.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old August 8th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Captain

We're taking our family...finally..on Oct. 21 Radiance cruise. For years have tried to talk our son and daughter-in-law into cruising..so will do with their 2 kids on Oct. 21.
Was on the Radiance 3 years ago and it was wonderful.

Certainly don't want their frist cruise on RCI to be the cruise from hell, but was
reassured by other posters that we'll have our usual great ship and good time.
As we've cruised some older ships before, we know we won't be getting the
Oasis, but are confident we'll have a great time.

Does anyone have an idea where the cabins are that had the plumbing problem?
We're cabins 7044 7042 and 7050.

Lou
Old August 14th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Admiral

As I posted, the repairs/replacements were supposed to be finished by September 2010. I was just checking to see if problems were still being reported.

I have now achieved-
139 days total

Old August 16th, 2010, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Update on Radiance plumbing problems. My friend and his family of 16 just returned from Radiance in Alaska last Friday, Aug 13. They said the plumbing problems are still there. Some cabins were worse than others. His group had six cabins and three of those six had sewer smells. he said is daughters cabin smelled even out on the balcony. So hopefully they will try and fix soon. I would think they will have to repair to the pipes onboard; The sewage is backing up in the lines. Anyway hope this helps anyone who may be on Radiance in the next few months.

Go Reds
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Captain

Do you know the approximate loction of those cabins? We are on 7 forward, port side.
Old August 16th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Admiral

Lou I will check and get the cabin #'s

Go Reds