Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Beginner

Thumbs down Radiance from Hell

We were on the Radiance of the Sea this past february. This being our 2 Royal Caribbean cruise we knew that the beds were bad for our backs but we never experienced the toilet continuesly backing up or our bathroom light going out. We thought that the food was making my husband sick for the last 3 days on board then we find out the last night before leaving that there was a epidemic of stomach problems which they never told us about. We talked with several staff members on the QT. and found out this was a continuous problem. I had an eye infection half way through the cruise but didn't know how I had gotten it until they said there was a high instance of people getting sick. Me being one of the yougest on board and being 50 years old we will not be using Royal Caribbean in the future....... mad:
Sponsored Links
Old March 7th, 2010, 10:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Sorry your cruise was not all you hoped for..firstly, you could have asked for an egg crate for your bed..that would have more than likely fixed that issue...did the lightbulb just go out, or was it an electrical issue? Did you ask for a plumber?

Did you ask for help in any of these situations? Alerted the Pursers office? Give us some more information, if you will please.

Why do you think your eye issue was connected to a gastrointestinal problem?

I have never been on a cruise with an outbreak, as you mention, so, honestly, I don't know how this situation is handled by staff.

Lastly, on all my RC cruises, there have been people of all ages, so the age comment surprises me...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; March 8th, 2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old March 8th, 2010, 12:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I hope that you addressed your problems as soon as you encountered them.

The Radiance has had ongoing plumbing problems and they are renovating the plumbing throughout the ship. I'm sorry you encountered it. On our 1/23 cruise we had one instance of odor from the plumbing and we didn't have an older group of cruisers. I'm 51 and wasn't the oldest nor the youngest onboard. It can vary from one cruise to the next.

I did have some issues with the overall food quality but there was no problems with illness to myself or anyone else I encountered.

Our bed was EXTREMELY comfortable. I had no problem sleeping and I am picky bed person.

The Radiance had some problems, the food was not very good, but nothing that ruined the cruise. I'm sorry to hear that you hit a number of problems that made your cruise less than memorable.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace Muzika View Post
We were on the Radiance of the Sea this past february. This being our 2 Royal Caribbean cruise we knew that the beds were bad for our backs but we never experienced the toilet continuesly backing up or our bathroom light going out. We thought that the food was making my husband sick for the last 3 days on board then we find out the last night before leaving that there was a epidemic of stomach problems which they never told us about. We talked with several staff members on the QT. and found out this was a continuous problem. I had an eye infection half way through the cruise but didn't know how I had gotten it until they said there was a high instance of people getting sick. Me being one of the yougest on board and being 50 years old we will not be using Royal Caribbean in the future....... mad:
I do not defend cruiselines, especially RCL as they do have issues. However, your remark about being one of the youngest at 50 is rather silly. RCL always appeals to all ages and I really would doubt strongly you were one of the youngest.

I also take acception to you blaming a gastro illness on your eye infection. If it was that kind of infection you probably rubbed your eyes thereby causing the infection.

I agree about the beds. RCL has terrible beds. It's like sleeping on a floor or worse. We have asked for the egg crate but they don't always have them and sometimes they don't quite fit the bed.

Radiance has been having all sorts of issues with the sewer backup and they say it will be some time before they are finished making all the changes. I don't find that excuse acceptable. It should have been drydocked and all done at once. I agree it's disgusting to go through and quite honestly, I would be complaining to hq and expecting something in return.

We started sailing RCL back in the early 80's. For the last 4/5 years we have found their food has deteriorated badly so again, I agree with you about the food. However I don't believe that's what was making your husband ill unless he has food allergies.

Noro is rampant on ships no matter how hard they work to clean them. We were on a HAL ship in January and it had Noro. It seemed to have hit a lot of staff as the spa staff were working the buffett. They took all the necessary steps to get the virus under control. You couldn't handle any food on the buffet yourself, the coffee/juices were handed out etc. It was still about 4 days before things were back to normal.

The best way to avoid noro is wash your hands all the time. So many people don't. Avoid shaking hands, wipe down the computer keyboards in the computer room, use your elbow to push elevator buttons - just be caution.

While you do have some legitimate reasons for being upset and definitely should be writing a letter some of your remarks are uncalled for.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:37 AM
Familiar Face

There's no such thing as stomach flu. It was norovirus from someone not washing their hands after using the toilet and touching food. And its not a phenomenon that you could just pin on one cruiseline or another. It happens in all of them with equal frequency only because there are an even number of personal hygiene challenged rubes about the world.

Pay attention and if people start being reported sick stop eating in the buffet.

The dining rooms where you are served by wait staff are almost guaranteed good to go. Those folks know about washing their hands since they practically live their whole lives asea.
Old March 8th, 2010, 10:29 AM
First Mate

Frequent handwashing will also prevent the most common eye infection - conjuncivitus. This is a highly contagious infection and can be contracted by touching an infected surface in addition to, for instance, shaking hands with an infected person.

Never rub or otherwise touch your eyes without washing them first.
Old March 8th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'm just wondering Grace, if you asked for a different cabin, were any available?? Rather than put up with the difficulties just in your cabin with the plumbing, etc....they should of done more if you asked.

As for being sick, it does happen, and in most cases the crew make every effort to help, sometimes these bugs just get brought on the ship and spread....

Very sorry to hear about the problems. You didn't say anything about the ports or what you did, couldn't be all bad?

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 8th, 2010, 01:48 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbopolo View Post
Frequent handwashing will also prevent the most common eye infection - conjuncivitus. This is a highly contagious infection and can be contracted by touching an infected surface in addition to, for instance, shaking hands with an infected person.

Never rub or otherwise touch your eyes without washing them first.

Excuse the typo: it should read "conjunctivitus".
Old March 8th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Admiral

I disliked everything about my RC cruise many years ago. Not sure if I would ever cruise them again. People that I know were not happy with RC line and they cruise a few times a year.

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I believe the OP is just a drive-by poster and not really interested in the excellent comments posted by others.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I agree- drive-by. Anyone who posts three months after the fact just happened to be here. But they did have to register to make their post, so...

That's OK. Just don't bother trying to help them unless they come back.
Old March 8th, 2010, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

As I typed my response, I was figuring the same thing

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 8th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Well:

Their cruise was in February which ended eight days ago. They did slam the cruise line and post their negative experiences. It is a good thing that people addressed them rather than leaving them unanswered for other cruisers to read and not get a balanced idea of what is going on.

Just because someone is a drive-by doesn't mean their experience or post doesn't deserve a response.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 8th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Admiral

I Agree Mike. It's opened up a whole conversation whether or not the OP chooses to be part of it. That really isn't a bad idea.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 8th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
I disliked everything about my RC cruise many years ago. Not sure if I would ever cruise them again. People that I know were not happy with RC line and they cruise a few times a year.
I can tell you the other side of the coin.
People that I know, including myself enjoy cruising on RCL.
Different stroke for different folks.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old March 9th, 2010, 07:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
There are a lot of people who don't like RCL, but then again there are a lot of people who don't like NCL or Princess or Carnival. It's mostly personal preference.

It's a bit much to say your disliked everything about a cruise you took many years ago. Don't you think it's time to let go of that and give it another try?

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 9th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Familiar Face

It's cruising!

What's not to love?!

If the ship doesn't sink and I see something new, I'm all over it.
Old March 9th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMark View Post
It's cruising!

What's not to love?!

If the ship doesn't sink and I see something new, I'm all over it.
Can't completely agree with you there. I have certain expectation and it isn't just being on a ship.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 9th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Another hit and run, we had one on Halland America a few months back!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Familiar Face

We have had a cruise that we didn't like certain things and in fact it really ticked us off, that didn't ruin our fun, nor did it stop us from going back and cruising again with them. Its all par for the course, not everything is perfect all the time or for that fact any time.

Sorry you had a bad time..

~ Future Cruises ~
~ None ~

~ Past Cruises ~
RCI - Vision of the Seas - 2003
RCI - Monarch of the Seas - 2004
NCL - Norwegian Sun - 2006
CCL - Paradise - 2007
CCL - Splendor - 2010
CCL - Spirit - 2011
CCL - Inspiration - 2011
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Your right I didn’t dislike everything . I liked my balcony and our ports. We have toyed with the idea of sailing with RC again and if we do it would probably be on Oasis because there should be enough going on.
We did sail an older ship so maybe on a new larger ship if would be better. Were just hesitant to do so. Manuel you right its all just a matter of opinion.

Need some cruise help?
Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old March 11th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

In 14 cruise with Royal Caribbean, I have never had a bad one. The food was always great and the beds comfortable. I enjoy the entertainment, the poolgames and meeting fellow cruisers. Looking forward to the Radiance cruise I have booked and will report back as always with a review and photo gallery!

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old March 11th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Admiral

We chose our Radiance of the Seas cruise for 2 reasons.

1) Because I have always wanted to cruise a Radiance class ship, as I love the idea of all the sea views that class ship offers. Our cruise is a 4 day with only 1 port, so we will have 2 sea days. The port is not as important as the sea days, although our daughter does want to return to Cozumel.

2) Our daughter works as a para-pro (teacher's aide) in our local county school system, and we promised her we would crusie with her at least once every other year. She is limited as to when she can go-and normally the cruises are very expensive when she can go-this one was a bit higher, but because it debarks Christmas Eve, it was more reasonable than others offered during the Christmas/winter break.

Now, we are not afraid of old ships. We cruised Sovereign of the Seas twice. We cruised the Celebrity Zenith and the old Pacific Princess shortly before they were sold, also our very first crusie was on Carnival Tropicale, an old ship, that lost power a couple of times while we were on her, the emergency lights would come right on! ! So, she did not stop us from falling in love with cruising.

Now, I am hearing such horror stories about her I am wondering if we should not switch to Celebrity Century, which has a 4 day, the same date, that goes to Key West also, besides Cozumel, for about $100 a person more.

However, if the pipe repairs will be done by September, I would prefer to remain with Radiance.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
146 days total
Old March 11th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Felix:

Quote:
Azamara or Celebrity - October/November 2010 - Holy Land (Just can't make up our minds which ship so booked on both for the moment.) Really leaning to Celebrity now.
Take the one that spends an extra day in Israel. There is so much to see there. You want to spend one day touring the Sea of Galilee and Dead Sea, then the next day in Jerusalem. If you have an extra day you can go to the musuems, etc.

Otherwise - take a 2-day Israel + 1-day Egypt, but I think Egypt is a trip to do on its own, because the best stuff is about 300 miles up the Nile. I would skip a cruise that only goes to Cairo and save it for a full Egypt trip. Both Israel and Egypt are places that deserve three days apiece at least.
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Felix:

Take the one that spends an extra day in Israel. There is so much to see there. You want to spend one day touring the Sea of Galilee and Dead Sea, then the next day in Jerusalem. If you have an extra day you can go to the musuems, etc.

Otherwise - take a 2-day Israel + 1-day Egypt, but I think Egypt is a trip to do on its own, because the best stuff is about 300 miles up the Nile. I would skip a cruise that only goes to Cairo and save it for a full Egypt trip. Both Israel and Egypt are places that deserve three days apiece at least.
Thanks. It will be Celebrity with the most time - 2 days Egypt and 3 days Israel. And you're right again. We will do Egypt seperately, either land or an Nile cruise.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 12th, 2010, 12:44 AM
Admiral

We were on the Radiance in December. We were on deck 10, cabin 1078...and there were plumbing issues. In fact there was one day that we couldn't find a working bathroom (read toilet) on our side of the ship, including the Spa and Gym. We had a air blower outside our cabin door most of one night because some carpet had gotten a little wet when the crew was working on one of the wall panels just outside our cabin.

We weren't the only ones effected by the plumbing problems. Sometimes we'd laughed about it and one or two times we were really 'put out'. But NO ONE we spoke with on our deck including us, thought the cruise was the 'cruise from hell'. The problem at most was intermittent...and we could see the crew working hard to correct it.

Sometimes passengers put things down the system they shouldn't. A ships plumbing system is not like the ones at home.

So despite the intermittent plumbing inconvenience, our cruise on the Radiance was wonderful. We had great service, good to excellent food and a very nice cabin. Would we cruise the Radiance again if we could? In a minute!
Old March 18th, 2010, 08:35 PM
First Mate

I wouldn't worry about Radiance too much. We just came back a few months ago, and are booked again in May.

Our cruise was great. Food was good, service was excellent, we were some of the older crowd (we're in our 60's).

I have heard about some plumbing problems, but we had nothing like that.

Something I really liked is the glass elevator looking out to the ocean.

I think Radiance is a good ship, and I'm not happy it's leaving San Diego ! =)

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old March 19th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyredhat View Post
I think Radiance is a good ship, and I'm not happy it's leaving San Diego ! =)

Pat

Amen to that! We're just sick about it.
Old March 19th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

As you can see, the OP posted the one time and that was it...We most likely won't hear from her again...

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 21st, 2010, 08:36 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
As you can see, the OP posted the one time and that was it...We most likely won't hear from her again...
When she takes another cruise she will be back with more whining.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015