Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 9th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Familiar Face

Default Is it Ok to book a flight out of FLL at 11:30?

I'll be on Oasis fr May 8th - 15th and fly back to Washington DC but don't know if I can book a 11:30 AM flight. Many people said it's very quick to get out of Oasis and FLL is not too far away from the port, in addition it's on Saturday therefore I guess not much of traffict in morning However, a next flight is 1:40 PM and cost $60 more for us and have to wait for another 2 hrs at airport.
Sponsored Links
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:05 PM
First Mate

Smile FLL

You should not have a problem. I have done the 11:35 flight to Atlanta serveral times and am booked April 12.

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Old March 9th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

The airport is only ten minutes ($13 cab ride) away from the port. If you do the self assist with luggage, you should be first off and have plenty of time, particularly if you have your boarding pass printed off and do the curbside check in - then you go straight to Security screening. Always have a plan B available though, FLL airport gets swamped at times..
Old March 9th, 2010, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Yup, this is an airport, where that flight is doable,and I have done it many times. Let them know you have an early flight, and you can be off asap..Due to the Oasis, disembarking an additional 5,000 passengers, expect longer lines in security etc..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 9th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

11:30 a.m. is doable.

I suggest using Royal Caribbean's Luggage Valet program. It will cost you $25, plus the airline baggage fee, but you will not have to worry about collecting your luggage, lugging it to the airport and checking it in. You will receive your boarding pass on board. Then all you need to do is go to the airport, go through security and board the plane. Once you reach your destination your luggage will come off with the everyone else's.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 9th, 2010, 09:02 PM
Admiral

You may not be able to use the valet for that time. Usually your flight has to be 12 noon or later so you will have to check that out. But if you do walk off and take a cab you shouldn't have any problem.

While it was a HAL ship, we did just that in January. I had up book on a 10 AM flight and we were at the airport by 8:05AM.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old March 10th, 2010, 10:46 AM
First Mate

Luggage Valet is only for flights leaving past 1PM. An 11:30AM flight is more than fine - enjoy your cruise.
Old March 10th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMember View Post
Luggage Valet is only for flights leaving past 1PM. An 11:30AM flight is more than fine - enjoy your cruise.

Do you mean 11AM? That is a change but definitely a good one.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 10th, 2010, 12:57 PM
First Mate

just got off freedom last week, all the documentation said that the luggage valet services was only offered for those passengers with a departing flight after 1pm. To clarify, we were sailing out of port canaveral and it's a good 45 minutes from the pier to the airport; they may allow an earlier time on ships from FLL or MIA.
Old March 10th, 2010, 01:44 PM
First Mate

You're confused.. the OP stated FLL.

No way is it 45 minutes from Port Canaveral to FLL.
You are describing the trip between Port Canaveral to MCO (Orlando)
FLL is basically right across the street from the port!
You couldn't BE any closer.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2010 RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
2009 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (so nice we did it twice)
2008 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (!!wow!!)
2007 Carnival Glory (Super Bowl - Bears vs Colts)
2005 Carnival Sensation (again)
2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Admiral

11:30 is a perfect flight time.

We were off Oasis and sitting at FLL by 9am.

Enjoy! Oasis is OMG so Awesome!!

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 10th, 2010, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Surprisingly - Oasis is a very efficient for on and off - granted off takes a little longer than on (due to immigration control) but it is a very efficient port facility.

11:30 is definitely fine, but I would still try to get to the airpot as early asp possible. The lines get very long very quickly on weekend mornings.
Old March 10th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

When the Allure arrives, weekends at the Lauderdale airport, will be tough going..I can just see the security lines now...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 10th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I had two friends who sailed on Independence OTS. I just checked with them and the flights had to be after 11:30 a.m. from FLL. I would say that Oasis would be the same time.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 10th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Familiar Face

Wow! Thank you so much for all replyiers. It makes me feel so much better to book this fly when I read it from all expert cruisers. Thanks again.
Old March 11th, 2010, 05:40 AM
Admiral

you do know any advise on these boards come with a disclaimer...if everything goes normal you should be fine, but if there is a hiccup and you miss your flight, we accept no responsiblity ::::

I am always a fan of booking a return flight from a cruise after 1 pm (no stress) and bring a book and IPOD and sit in the airport to people watch (always fun)

the FLL-DCA area is a high frequency corridor, so if something does happen, you have options
Old March 11th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
you do know any advise on these boards come with a disclaimer...if everything goes normal you should be fine, but if there is a hiccup and you miss your flight, we accept no responsiblity ::::

I am always a fan of booking a return flight from a cruise after 1 pm (no stress) and bring a book and IPOD and sit in the airport to people watch (always fun)

the FLL-DCA area is a high frequency corridor, so if something does happen, you have options
lol Abslutely correct. I think that's why we all say "this is what happened to us" rather than "this is what should happen to you."

I do find this particular board is very good for that disclaimer - it's another board that demands you do what the posters say.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 11th, 2010, 08:48 AM
Admiral

The airport is pretty boring. The ship is better for people watching.

To play it super safe a flight in the afternoon is better.

I have a 10:10am flight in two weeks from MIA. :o That should be interesting. :razz:

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 11th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Admiral

CQ...that should be very interesting, but I have no doubt you will have time to spare

I enjoy watching the gate action on an oversold flight where they cannot find volunteers on a cruise weekend..i've picked up some free tickets for future cruises because I have all day to get home
Old March 11th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen View Post

I have a 10:10am flight in two weeks from MIA. :o That should be interesting. :razz:
We have done that several times and not had a problem ( so far). We were first off and at the airport around 0800...
Old March 11th, 2010, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Diamonds View Post
We have done that several times and not had a problem ( so far). We were first off and at the airport around 0800...
Good to know! We are always at the airport between 8am to 9am and that is without rushing.

We had a choice of the 10:10am or 2:40pm. Did not want to sit at the airport for over 5 hours so did not want the 2:40.

The noon flight was triple the price the flight cost more then the cabin.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old March 13th, 2010, 02:36 PM
First Mate

Quote:

That's cutting it pretty close CQ !!
Miami airport is no where as close to port as FLL...
but you know that already don't you!
I think you're just trying to squeeze one last
THRILL out of the whole trip !!!!!!

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2010 RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
2009 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (so nice we did it twice)
2008 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (!!wow!!)
2007 Carnival Glory (Super Bowl - Bears vs Colts)
2005 Carnival Sensation (again)
2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old March 13th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
The noon flight was triple the price the flight cost more then the cabin.
Usually the reason the noon flight is more is that it's hard for cruisers to get there earlier.

If you need to be there 2 hours early for security (I know, sometimes it doesn't make a difference), I wish you luck !

Let us know how it goes when you get home,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 13th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Many people said it's very quick to get out of Oasis and FLL is not too far away from the port, in addition it's on Saturday therefore I guess not much of traffict in morning
We were booked on the HAL Eurodam 2/20-2/27, putting us into Ft. Lauderdale Saturday morning. Our TA strongly advised us not to book a flight any earlier than 1:00 PM. So that's what we did.

Looking back, I can see that (1) his advice included what the lawyers call "an abundance of caution," and (2) that there are specific places along the route where you might easily need the wiggle room that such caution provides.

HAL asked us when our flight departed the night before disembarkation. Accordingly, we were asked to disembark between 9:30 and 9:45. I noticed that other folks were disembarking as early as 7:45-8:00. So, there's the first place where things could go wrong -- for whatever reason, you might be wrongly assigned a disembarkation time late in the que. I'm not saying it does happen, I just notice that it is the first point at which something can go wrong.

In order, here are the next choke points you will pass through:

1. Finding your bags: this is no problem, of course, if you've ponied up the bucks for the valet service. And, this assumes the valet service works as promised. Which set of dice to roll? :razz: We opted for getting our own bags and moving them through customs. It worked fine, though we can all think of very conceivable problems that might occur.

2. Moving through customs: You're in a que, of course, and at one point things came to a dead stop for about ten minutes. I've no idea why, and in the press of the crowd (plus I'm short!) I couldn't see where the knot had developed. If I were trying to make an early flight, this could have added several points to myh blook pressure!

3. Securing a cab: While waiting in our cabin for our disembarkation time to roll around, I stood on the verandah and observed the street where passengers were to grab a cab. I noticed a fascinating phenomenon -- the cabs came in waves. For a while there would be 20 to 30 cabs along the road, inching their way around a sloping curve to the curbs where the passengers waited with their bags. Then, within minutes, they would be almost all of them gone! About ten or more minutes later, here they'd come again -- piling up in a long line after returning to the port from the nearby airport at FLL.

When it was our turn down at the cab curb I noticed that some cabbies were cruising the crowd offering rides to Miami. One fellow declined to take us (FLL is a very short ride; Miami a longer one and, therefore, carrying a higher fare). it torqued me a tad for him to do that. A few minutes later, here he came from the opposite direction, offering a cab ride. I said to him (as if he were a dull child) "I'm not going to Miami." "Neither is anyone else!" he said, shrugging his shoulders.

Being the gracious forgiving fellow I am , I said, "Let's do it," at which he returned to his cab down the line and attempted to bring it up to where people were loading. But, as soon as he cut in line to the curb, some other fellow -- imagine an NFL linebacker with a purposeful set to his face -- picked up several very large bags at once and hurled them into "my" cab. Of course "my" cabbie didn't care.

We got our cab; there were simply too many of them at that point not to secure one. But, if this trolling and cab stealing had occurred at the end of one of those cab-waves, I'd have been looking for the blood pressure meds again!

4. FLL curbside checkin: Someone above noted that the airport can be swamped by the disembarkation of several ships at once. Many cruises begin and end on Saturday, so it's not just the Oasis you're dealing with, but four or five other ships at the same time.

Driving through the airport complex, we noted long lines at the curbside check-ins. It was Really Long at Southwest Airlines, the bags fly free folks (our airline). Southwest did their best, sending agents along the line asking for folks with flight times that were getting perilously near. Other customers were patient about having these folks move around them.

I looked at my wristwatch to note the time, intending to learn how long we would be in line. Turns out, it was only 15 minutes. Those baggage handlers know what they're doing!

5. Airport security: There was another very long line inside the terminal for entry into airport security! We waited 20 minutes in that one.

I must be sounding like an advertisement for the valet service! But, we had a 1:00 PM flight, so there was never any real danger we encountered that would have threatened our making it. And, the flight was late in departing! It did not depart until 1:40 PM.

All this to say that if you're looking at only $60 more for a later flight time, you might as well do your own bags and enjoy the scenery along the way. But, if you're planning on the valet service, thinking this will speed things along, ... well, it might save you some time at certain choke points, but it will not eliminate other choke points.

So, pick up whichever pair of dice that fancies you, roll 'em, and see what you get. I honestly don't think you'd have a problem IF Oasis lets you off the ship early. But, if your karma is in the toilet that morning, a later flight time could save you a lot of money for the cost of Tums.

Last edited by Rivilian; March 13th, 2010 at 08:08 PM.
Old March 13th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Admiral

There are several variables to all the statements here. If, such as we did, you have a very early flight (10 am) (and I would never book a client on a flight that early) then it is necessary to do the walk off with your own luggage. I knew we would do that prior to booking our air. Based on that, we were the second and third persons to walk off the ship. We hit immigration first who asked how long we would be remaining in the US. When I told him 2 hours he just handed back our passports and said have a safe trip.

We were able to get the first cab in line and head straight to the airport. Upon arrival at the airport we checked outside for our Delta flight. I was not happy because the fellow said we were 4 lbs overweight on one suitcase. I carry suitcase scales so I had weighed them both and already moved stuff around. Nevertheless, I was able to open one end of the suitcase and pulled a sweater or two out and move them to hand baggage. Away they went - problem - in the fuss and bother of moving stuff around I forgot to tip the guy - oh well.

From there we went inside and directly to security. There were a few people ahead of us and one family that held things up for awhile however it was only 8 am so we stayed exactly where we were. Once we were able to move to the checkers we were less than 5 minutes to the other side. All in all, by 8:15 am we were seated in an extremely hot FLL airport waiting for our plane.

My point, it can be done if it's done right. You have to realize up front it's only going to work if you are in control - take all your baggage with you. Don't wait to sort it out after leaving the ship.

For those who choose to use the valet you are not going to make an early flight and if you don't carry off your own luggage you are not likely going to make an early flight.

I used to always book our flights for 1-2 PM. I no longer feel that's necessary. Sitting in an airport is not my idea of winding down from a cruise and we will continue to carry off our own luggage and I will continue to book us on early flights. Mind you, 10 may be a bit dicey but certainly well before noon.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 14th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Admiral

the golden rule of cruise travel is applicable here

"if you err on the side of caution when you get off the ship at 0830 am(book a 1 pm instead of a 10 am), everything will go like clockwork and you'll be at the airport at 0845 am wishing you had booked the cheaper 10 am departure" (Felix the Cat)

"if you are the optimist (book the 10 am) and you hit any of the barriers (and you usually don't hit just one, but several), you make it to the airport at 0930 and you miss the cut off, then you are stuck until 5pm to get out of town on standbye (Rivilian)

and remember due to security, if your bag does not make it in the pit of the airplane, you don't fly

when i was younger, i was an optimist, now i am older and don't like the extra stress when i wake up on the last day to worry about everything going right, I book the 1 pm, don't rush off the ship, get to the airport around 1030 am and have my book and mp3 player and kick back and watch the folks, sometimes it could be boring, but generally it's alot of fun watching stressed out passengers who missed their 10 am departures thru no fault of their own

the other way to play it, is if you just have carry on's and are a premier member of one of the airlines, you may have options if everything goes right to move up to the earlier flight
Old March 14th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
when i was younger, i was an optimist, now i am older and don't like the extra stress when i wake up on the last day to worry about everything going right, I book the 1 pm, don't rush off the ship, get to the airport around 1030 am and have my book and mp3 player and kick back and watch the folks, sometimes it could be boring, but generally it's alot of fun watching stressed out passengers who missed their 10 am departures thru no fault of their own.
I SO agree with Venice! I don't need the stress after a wonderful, relaxing cruise! I always have something to read and I love to "people watch" .

When there are many passengers flying (as there usually are after a cruise), it's not always possible to fly standby if you miss your flight.

Just FYI, if you use the luggage valet option you must fly with your luggage.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old March 14th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Admiral

I know the rules are that you have to fly with your luggage but I have to say that is just not always happening. On at least 2 occasions over the last 3 years our luggage has left before us. When we've arrive at the final airport and everyone else's luggage has been claimed I have found mine either locked or not locked in the office of the airline I've flown in on.

The other scenario to think of - if your flight is not suppose to leave without your luggage or vis-versa how come some much luggage goes to the wrong city/country. This is a common occurance - it just rather makes a mockery of the rules about luggage and passenger flying together don't you think.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old March 15th, 2010, 02:53 AM
Admiral

Felix..good questions...the way the system is suppose to work, when you check in with baggage, your bag tag # is edited into the computer and when you go thru the gate reader to go down the jetway, it tells the ramp ok to board the bag or more to the point, if you don't board the aircraft, then the ramp must offload your bag (thus the cut off time to check in which is between 30-45 minutes before scheduled departure, which gives the ramp plenty of time)..the exception(s) are usually when the flight is oversold and they ask for volunteers (which is usually last minute) and international flights
if your bag goes to a different city then you, 99% of the time, it's human error on the part of the ramp (not reading the bag tag or placing the bag in the wrong transfer pit)..weight and balance issues may cause your bag to be advanced on an earlier flight usually a non stop (assuming that you are on a connection flight and have checked in)..i.e. you are going FLL to LAX via ORD at 11 am and arriving at 5 pm and there is a non stop FLL to LAX at 1030 am arriving at 330 pm
the baggage system actually works pretty well (unless of course it's your bag) and the airlines get 98% of the bags arrive with the customer
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Familiar Face

Default What exatly is "self assist" with luggage as mentioned?

We have a 12:10pm flight from FLL from the Oasis on April. In reading all these posts, I keep noticing mention of self assist luggage to get off ship earlier. I am assuming this means you keep all your baggage in your cabin rather than setting it out the night before? How do you know at what time you can disembark and how do you let guest services know this is waht you want to do? Neither of us can remember ever seeing it as an option on the paper you fill out that asks for departure time/flight #/etc.
Thanks much for explaining this!