Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:39 PM
Beginner

Default My first & LAST cruise on Royal Caribbean

I'm a veteran cruiser ( well over 30 cruises ) & this cruise ( Grandeur - 3/11 ) was the worst ever. Poor food quality, constant blasting loud music all over the ship, dress code ignored by a majority of the passengers. Celebrity is far superior, & Holland American is better as well.
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Sorry. Sounds like a value thing: expectations vs. cost. Hope you enjoyed the time away from the usual routine enjoyable though.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Admiral

The Grandeur was also our least favourite ship although it's been several years since we were on her.

I'm sorry you found it so bad but I would hope you found some good things about your cruise.

Even though I would not sail the Grandeur again, I did not allow it to cloud my decisions on other RCL ships.

I do agree that Celebrity and HAL are a cut above RCL.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old March 15th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If you are internet savvy,and, have been around cruise sites, you must have read the RC's food has gone down hill for many years now...While it's been a while since I have cruised the line, I know you will never go hungry..But the expectations is, and rightly so, crusiers should enjoy the meals....did you enjoy any meal?

Cruise attire, has also gone down another road, with many people, saying yes! One embraces it, or really, has to choose another line, that has a more structured dress code,and upholds it..

The music blaring...I have never found this an issue...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 16th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Admiral

the law of probability caught up to you....it happens to us all when one cruises alot and have many ships/cruiselines to compare to..

I was on the Grandeur 3 years ago on a smooth jazz cruise..it's older, but I enjoyed myself (had alot to do with the fact that it was a music theme cruise)

I agree about Celebrity (on the Century) and HAL being an nicer overall experience
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Sorry to hear your cruise on Grandeur was not up to par, but I hope it doesn't cloud your judgement on other Royal Caribbean ships...They are all a bit different, some better, some not.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 16th, 2010, 08:57 AM
First Mate

I'd agree, she's an older Vision class ship and priced lower than some of her more newer sister ships. The Vision class serious is really a workhorse for the line as they have them globally deployed. I'd not let this one experience cloud your judgement on RCI in general; having sailed so much, you understand that not all ships/crew are created equal.
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Sarasota,

I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience on your cruise. I do find it interesting that over the last few years you basically posted the same thing about your Celebrity Century cruise and your Holland America, Oosterdam cruise. If your previous postings are correct then maybe cruising isn't your type of vacation.

It would be great to hear about the cruises you liked.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 16th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Admiral

Our first RCCL cruise was on the Grandeur when it was a new ship.
That was several years ago. We had cruised several times on Carnival, Celebrity, etc. so we were not new cruisers by any means.
I'm not sure what seemed to be the main problems --it was just a combination of a lot of small things that seemed to be wrong from the word go. We had booked our air through the cruise line--we flew to Atlanta on a small prop plane, that if you counted the rust, it probably had 4-5 different colors on the wings, etc.Coming back, our flight schedule was so tight we had to fight our way off the ship, which was a free-for-all getting off, get our own cab and barely made the flight, and as I said, we booked the air through RCCL.
The food wasn't that great--the waitstaff wasn't none too swift to be of any help. One of our bags was missing and after dinner I found it by the elevator on our floor, with 2 employees standing there--I had to ask them to excuse me to get them to move out of the way to get my own bag and roll it to our cabin. There were dents, scrapes, etc. in the chrome around the elevator, cracked glass in the elevators and to top it off, there were about a dozen kids 10-12 years old that were absolutely running amok with no supervision what so ever. There were potted plants that had marble sized pellets in the planters that these kids were throwing-- we went to the pursers desk to complain and while we were trying to talk to him one of these pellets came whizzing by and hit the wall behind the pursers head-- he just smiled and said he couldn't be of any help.
Had it not been for having a balcony to get away from it all, I think we would have probably gotten off in San Juan and flown back home on our own.
That was our first experience on RCCL and for several years we wouldn't touch them with a 10 ft. pole.
Since, we have sailed with them several times, last time back in Oct. on the Freedom, we're going on the Mariner out of L.A. ( 3rd time on the Mariner ) in 3 weeks and back on the Freedom in Sept.
I only mention the above to show that one cruise can really turn you off on any line if you happen to be unfortunate enough to run into problems like we did but I'm very much an RCCL fan now, although we still cruise Carnival a lot.
But to be honest, if RCCL called me today and said I had a free cruise on the Grandeur, I'd refuse to take it-- but-- offer me one on one of the newer ships and my bags would be packed in a few minutes.
I would encourage the O.P to not give up on RCCL-- just try a cruise on one of the Voyager, Radiance, or Freedom class ships.
Old March 16th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Captain

As Mike picked up on, I immediately checked other posts and BAM...
SOS about the lines he "claims" are better. Shame the boards become a dumping ground at times but still appreciate the time objective folks take to drop a line or two.
Old March 16th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Yup...we've enjoyed our RCCL cruises...and the same with HAL and Celebrity...but I agree with Venice...the law of averages happens to all of us.

We love Celebrity...had a wonderful first experience on the Mercury...then we went on the Infinity to Alaska. We were somewhat disappointed because it was just not the same experience. The ship, crew and staff had a whole different feel. (the Mercury IS smaller and more intimate) Our Infinity experience has NOT colored our decision to cruise Celebrity in the near future.

Every cruise and ship are bound to be different because of all the random factors. The weather, overall mood of the crew and even your own attitude is bound to somewhat color your perception of a ship and cruise.

We sailed on HAL's Oosterdam and just love that ship, our experience couldn't have been more perfect. My son sail on the Amsterdam and hated it. All we could say was, different ship, different experience.

There is a caveat: When you have changes through-out a cruise line...for example RCCL over all decline in food quality.
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Admiral

As I stated in my post, our first cruise on RCCL just seemed to start off on the wrong foot from the very beginning. Sometimes things like that just happen. But, as I also stated, I'm now an RCCL fan, although I do agree that the food quality has declined over the past 2-3 years and Carnival, overall, does have better food.
But hey-even as good as I can cook,sometimes i screw up the beans!!
Old March 16th, 2010, 09:25 PM
Admiral

Ron we had a similar experience on RCCL's Rhapsody with kids throwing things. We were on OUR deck when some kids above us started throwing cups and water on us. My husband made like he was going to run up and catch them...so they quickly disappeared. But now when we book a cruise we check the school schedules.

Just because of the general passenger census, when we book HAL we don't have to worry about that type of thing happening.
Old March 16th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Admiral

We were on the Carnival Dream Feb 20-27 th sailing. There were some kids who threw pizza from the upper floors onto the dance floor in the main atrium. I didn't personally witness this but there was considerable talk about it. They roped off the dance floor area for about the last 4 days or so of the cruise but the word on that was that a bulb had fallen from one of the lights at the very top and broke on the dance floor. I do know they had one of those mobile cherry picker type machines there one morning with the boom extended all the way up--it was gone after a little while but the dance floor remained roped off the rest of the cruise--4 days or so.
But, cruising is always an adventure of some sort--we left a couple in Roatan. The capt. was pacing the bridge, watching and waiting. John Heald, the C.D. came on after about 15 minutes past sailing time and advised there was a Mr and Mrs so-so that weren't on board and they had waited a few minutes but as sorry as they were, they had to sail and away we went. John later came on the inter-com and explained what happened--the couple had rented a jeep and went out on their own--got the jeep stuck in the sand on the beach, had to walk a couple miles to get to a phone , etc/. Anyway, they had to fly to Belize ( out of their pocket ) to rejoin the cruise the next day.
As I said, always some adventure or other-- that's cruising !!
Old March 17th, 2010, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldmouse View Post
Yup...we've enjoyed our RCCL cruises...and the same with HAL and Celebrity...but I agree with Venice...the law of averages happens to all of us.

We love Celebrity...had a wonderful first experience on the Mercury...then we went on the Infinity to Alaska. We were somewhat disappointed because it was just not the same experience. The ship, crew and staff had a whole different feel. (the Mercury IS smaller and more intimate) Our Infinity experience has NOT colored our decision to cruise Celebrity in the near future.

Every cruise and ship are bound to be different because of all the random factors. The weather, overall mood of the crew and even your own attitude is bound to somewhat color your perception of a ship and cruise.

We sailed on HAL's Oosterdam and just love that ship, our experience couldn't have been more perfect. My son sail on the Amsterdam and hated it. All we could say was, different ship, different experience.

There is a caveat: When you have changes through-out a cruise line...for example RCCL over all decline in food quality.
If the OP was on Mercury right now, we would probably see a post next week blaming Celebrity for noro virus, I suspect.

As far as kids throwing things down on people from balconies, I remember my brother throwing ice cubes down on people on the ground from the second floor at a motel we were staying at on vacation, when we were kids. When Mom found out, ( I snitched-!) he really got it. I imagine many more of us have similar memories. Kids will be kids, unfortunately.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Old March 18th, 2010, 07:28 PM
First Mate

Wow~~~We have never had a cruise like that on ANY ship.

We just sailed Radiance last Sept., booked again in May, and Mariner booked next April. I realize they are different classes of ship, but we found Radiance to be a very nice ship.

Our food was very good both in MDR and Lido. We ate in Chops, and the food was outstanding.

For the newbies out there, give it a chance.

Pat

RCL Radiance
CCL Splendor
HAL Zaandam
CCL Elation
CCL Spirit
HAL Statendam 2x
HAL Ryndam 2x
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:49 AM
First Mate

Hi there,

Sorry you had a bad experience on Grandeur of the Seas....which is my favourite ship

We didn't start cruising until 2004 and our ship was Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore. We drove down from Ontario the day before the ship left and when we got to the pier for the cruise they were handing out sheets of paper to everyone telling us the COMPLETE itinerary was changed because Hurricane Jeanne was coming up the coast so no stops in Key West, Cozumel or Belize, we instead went overnight to Bermuda to miss the hurricane....no problem, I was on a cruise and had no cooking, cleaning, laundry to do!
We LOVED our waiters, the service, EVERYTHING was amazing! We also cruised on the Grandeur again in Oct. 2007 and found the same waiter and our first cabin steward were still working on the ship. We love the smaller ships, we have also been on the Explorer 3 times and Voyager once, and the Grandeur is the best in our opinion!
Everyone has their own opinions on everything........which is a good thing cause life would be pretty boring if we were all the same
To each their own........and mine is Grandeur of the Seas.

As far as unrluly "kids".......they can come at ANY AGE.....teens, 20's 30's, etc......

We are LOYAL TO ROYAL, now if their prices would just come down so I could book 4 a year

Take care everyone and HAPPY CRUISING....on whichever ship you're on!
Gail
Comet Cruiser