CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   WiFi (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/372775-wifi.html)

bjpram March 24th, 2010 02:50 PM

WiFi

Does anyone know if you can access WIFi on board with a phone or do you need to have a laptop? I want to be able to check my email but don't want to bring my laptop. Thanks.

dina March 25th, 2010 07:56 AM

You will be able to access you email via your phone but it is expensive. You need to check with your phone provider. You will be connecting via Cellular at Sea. $2.49 a minute. Some providers have a global data plan that you can get so it can bring the cost down. Text messages are typically .50 to send .05 to recieve. Some cruisers have ended up with some shocking phone bills because they were unaware of the cost involved.

Happy cruising

bjpram March 26th, 2010 03:48 PM

Thanks Carolin,

On the RCI website they talk about needing a laptop to use thier Wifi, but I have a phone that can also access the web by Wifi. Using Wifi I can use services like Skype to call home and all I have to pay is .55 per min for the Wifi service. I can bring my laptop but would rather not carry it along if I can use my phone.

bjpram March 31st, 2010 04:38 PM

So nobody has either used or tried to use WiFi with their phone on the boat?

dina April 1st, 2010 08:36 AM

When I get on the ship, I turn off my phone and don't use the computers. Your either paying for internet service on your laptop. They have packages 100 minutes for $55. You purchase this on the ship. Or you are paying your cell phone provider. Both can add up quickly. I've heard from others that Skype doesn't work on the laptops because the speed is very slow. For example, printing off a boarding pass can take as much as 25 minutes when connecting via laptop.

If you are visiting one of the us territory islands, you will not pay any extra charges. I have sprint and I'm not charged roaming on St. thomas and Puerto rico. These are the only islands I turn my phone on.

jdh April 1st, 2010 12:07 PM

I have stayed in touch using the ships computer center. You pay for the minutes, but if you are organized such as composing your e-mails in word, then cutting and pasteing or using the drafts, it is faster. Using the ships computer center also meant I did not have to bring my laptop. In addition ( I don't know if it is still in there), the coupon book repeat RCI passengers receive used to have a coupon for free minutes. About $5 worth

bjpram April 1st, 2010 12:09 PM

Thanks Dina, I don't turn my phone on either. When I'm away I'm away but we have things going on at the home front that may need our attention while we are away this time. We had hoped to have it all done before we left but thats not going to be the case.

Mike M April 1st, 2010 01:42 PM

On my Verizon, Blackberry Worldphone I have not been able to receive email via the ship's CDMA link. I had to wait until I was in port, and 3G was available to receive email.

Take care,
Mike

Steven April 20th, 2010 03:56 PM

Perhpas this lends a different perspective. And this is meant as a pleading and not an admonition.

Do we really need to be connnected while on vacation. My boss always makes sure he can be reached on his vacation days. His boss forfeits two of his four weeks a year of vacation as he feels he cannot justify being away from work that much during the year. We are to be reachalbe even on sick days. It is unwritten that we come in early and leave late. This type of cultural direction will continue until there are no cruises, no vacations, and we work as people did in the middle ages.

34 years ago while on a family vacation our house was robbed. No one could reach us, so we were greeted by a notice on the door when we got home. I remember my mom saying, "I'm so glad we didn't know about this during our vacation, it would have really saddened our trip!" Vacation saved, memories perserved, and it didn't matter that we found out four days later.

So help de-stress the world a little bit and teach the younger generation how to enjoy a vacation and not how to make it just like work, but on a cruise ship.

PS I know some of you earn a living by going on cruise ships - to you, we smile and hope the wifi plan is in your favor.

PSS - If your phone can connect to wifi (iPhone, etc.) not be confused with 3G or 4G, you can skype and e-mail through the ship's minutes and skip the trans ocean cell bills.