Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 11th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Beginner

Default Dinner Reservation for Under 13

Hello All,

My wife, kids, and I are looking forward to boarding Oasis on 05/29. We'd like to try Chops one night but the website does not allow booking for those under 13. My son being 10, is the problem. RCCL's policy states we can book onboard before 7:00 pm that day but surely they'll be booked up. Does anyone have a work around for this?
I completely understand the "no one under 13" rule since many parents cannot manage their children in public. He may be a 10 year old kid but he's more polite then most adults and usually just reads a book when we dine out. My wife and I could go alone but I don't believe in letting the boat be a babysitter.
Sponsored Links
Old April 11th, 2010, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I think you'll find the cruise line sticks pretty closely to their age policy for the specialy (surcharge) restaurants.

While your son may indeed be better behaved than adults, there's no way to judge these situtaions on a case be case basis.

You may be able to hire a babysitter for one evening for you to dine there. Just ask at guest relations as early in the cruise as you can.
Old April 11th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

It's too bad they don' have an early bird dinner available for passengers with children. Setting up a time like five pm, for this maybe a suggestion you can make on your comment card.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 11th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to sergej

I wonder how many crazy rules have get some cruise lines.

E.g. nobody would come to idea (except the parents itself)
to forbid to take their children anywhere on ship of AIDA.
But there is no babysitters at all (only some clubs)
Old April 11th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Admiral

We go to Chops and Portofino's for the quiet, solitude and ambeance (even if I can't spell it) and I do like the idea there are no children allowed.

However, I beleive the time frame they do give for children is good. We never make our ressies in advance (I don't want to pay in advance) and have never had a problem getting one.

I think you'll find the earlier hour easiest to get.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 12th, 2010, 02:18 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the response all,

I called RCI to see if I could get the right answer. I was told to book the reservation online for before seven o'clock for my wife, daughter, and myself. Then, sometime during the day of the reservation, notify the maitre’d that a fourth person under the age of 13 would be dining with us. She said “they will be happy to help you.”

From the tone of the representative, this was not some method to skirt the rules; it was simply how it works.

Thanks again!
Old April 12th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Good for you and your family.

Though I have to say I'm disappointed in RCI for not sticking to their own policy!

If that's the policy they should state it clearly, so others aren't making reservations specifically to have a "kiddie free" evening.

Not saying I'm against allowing it. But AM saying it's a very tacky working model for RCI.
Old April 12th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Passenger

CNST,

I just did the same last Friday, but it didn't work out perfectly. We are a party of seven, which they can't seat as it is. My youngest daughter is 10, which means our reservations must be before 7:00 and the system that the attendant had did not accommodate the new rule. And my seventeen year old daughter is in a wheel chair, which limits the tables we can access. So the attendant made two reservations for 3 each at 6:30 on the day we requested. She instructed us to add my 10 year old on the reservation after we board, but the initial reservation will reserve the necessary tables.

Perhaps this can work for you as well. If you make reservations for three and then for the fourth after you board, but before the day of your reservations, they will accomodate all our of you at one table. (A party of three will be automatically be placed at a table of four.)

As to those who are concerned about my 10 year old, don't be. Be afraid of my 15 year old daughter. We're working on her. The 10 year old is very quiet.

Also, realize that many 24 year olds are really just 13 year olds that haven't grown up yet. They'll be obnoxious and then just smile and tell you it's all cool.

Cheers