Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Food For Thought

We all have heard for years, through posting and friends, that Royal Caribbean, is just is not known for their food anymore, and I thought posting something good, may mean things are changing a bit.

I just spoke to friends who recently sailed on the Serenade,[2 wks. ago] and their small group of eight, thought the food was wonderful and tasty too

They never dined in alternative restaurants, just the traditional, & had several breakfasts in the dining room as well, and loved it all.

They had a wonderful cruise, and their only complaint was that the swimming pool was a tad too small......soooo, maybe there is change afoot??

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old April 14th, 2010, 08:51 PM
First Mate

I have now completed 17 cruises with RCCL, 3 with Princess. I have never had a bad meal on either cruise line. It is a never ending source of entertainment for me to read about the people complaining about the food.
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I think its great you have enjoyed your dining experiences. Food is so subjective...it's nice to hear it because so many have had different experiences...no one eve goes hungry, that's for sure

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; April 14th, 2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old April 14th, 2010, 09:21 PM
Admiral

I will be boarding the Oasis on saturday the 17. Our friends Linda and Paul from SC will cruising with us. Since they cruise several times every year on different cruiselines, I will be waiting to see what they have to say about the food.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old April 14th, 2010, 11:07 PM
Admiral

16 completed Royal cruises and every meal was good.
We always dine in the Main Dining room for dinner.

I also find the threads about not liking the food very entertaining.

Food is very subjective. Is there a cruiseline out there that can please each and every cruiser that steps foot onto their ships? I don't think so.

CQ's Cruise Resume

Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x2
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old April 15th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Admiral

As already stated food is very subjected. We have been sailing RCL since 1982 and from our point of view there has been a huge decline in the quality of the food, especially over the last 4/5 years.

I refused to accept nor will I make excuses when the food is bad. I'm paying for a product and I expect the best they have to offer. If their best isn't good enough I'll make other arrangements.

The best I can describe - the last transatlantic we took on the Brilliance, I ordered a shimp dinner. It wasn't straight shrimp - when I took the first mouthful, I though I had stuck my fork in a salt cellar - it was 100% salt. This was after having sent back two other entres as unacceptable. Same cruise I had to actualy spit out (discreetly of course) a piece of beef because I could not chew it and certainly couldn't swallow it.

That was the last RCL cruise we took. I'm not sure if we will give it another go. I haven't really read any impovement since then.

Now, we do eat in Chops and Portofino's where the food is excellent. They can't put that quality of food in the dining room?

I will not accept the excuse "I'm not cooking or cleaning therefore everything is hunky dorey".

We have cruised any number of other lines including RCL's Celebrity and the quality of each and every one of them leaves RCL in last place.

We loved the food on HAL in January.

Take this for what it's worth - it is my opinion, and it has cost RCL our custom.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old April 17th, 2010, 01:35 PM
First Mate

I have to agree with the majority of people in this post that with few exceptions,
all of my meals on RCCL have been quite satisfying.
The one HUGE exception (and let down) was Suzanne's very less than desirable
seafood in Portofino on Freedom OTS.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
2010 RCCL Oasis Of The Seas
2009 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (so nice we did it twice)
2008 RCCL Freedom Of The Seas (!!wow!!)
2007 Carnival Glory (Super Bowl - Bears vs Colts)
2005 Carnival Sensation (again)
2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I've personally never had a bad meal on their ships. I have had some that I just plain didn't like, it had nothing to do with the way it was cooked or presented, just didn't care for it. Lets just hope more passengers don't complain about the meals, I've always found something to eat and certainly feel full :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:33 AM
Administrator
Admiral

When it comes to food the opinions are very subjective in terms of taste and preferences. One person's likes and dislikes are very different from another's.

However there are objective observations that I have made over the years in terms of food on Royal Caribbean and these observations have become more frequent over my last four Royal Caribbean cruises.

There are basic things that need to be done to provide good food. You need to serve cold things cold and hot things hot. This is something that I have been very disappointed with.
  • Escargot that was cold and the bread crumbs on top were the consistency was similar to a blob of mud.
  • Halibut that was translucent throughout.
  • Meats that had to be spit into a napkin because they were unchewable.
  • Scallops that had turned giving an abhorrent fish taste to an entire seafood dish.
  • Presentation standards where soup is served with drips down the side of the bowl.
  • Steaks that haven't rested and are in a pool of their own juice and blood.
  • Creme Brule that is burnt and still served.
  • Creme Brule custard that is curdled and still served.
Six or seven years ago these issues were rarely seen on Royal Caribbean but they are now more common.

I do not go on a cruise expecting true gourmet food or ala-minute preparation. I expect that they will use proper cooking techniques, use reasonably fresh, good quality ingredients and have pride in preparation and presentation.

Food is subjective and some people may want bland food or they just don't care as long as someone else prepares the food and serves it to them. I am not in that group. I would MUCH prefer to go and cook my own food rather than be served something that is poorly prepared or just plain bad. I do believe that the attitude of "I don't care as long as I don't have to fix it." has added to the deterioration of the food quality. When people accept mediocrity or less, then that is what they get.

OK: I'm off my soapbox.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 18th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I have to say, my wife and I have always liked the food on Royal. Since we have never sailed any other cruise lline we can't compare; however, when we dined in the main dining room and there wasn't anything on the menu I liked, the chef and his crew always would make me something from the kitchen that I would eat. That is good customer service.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:44 PM
Admiral

I just remembered an event that happened in 1966 when I was sailing on a Cunard ship called the Carinthia.

We were at breakfast. As usually I ordered a soft boiled egg. When it was put in front of me and I tapped it open with my knife it was raw!! Mom called the waiter - he took it away with an apology and brought a second, well, didn't it also turn out to be raw. When he brought the 3rd and it too was raw my mom turned to him and said "she'll go into the kitchen and cook her own if this is the best you can do." (I was a kid at the time) The waiter took me into the kitchen actually and showed me what he did - there were two baskets of eggs sitting side by side - one was raw and waiting to be used and the other was where they put the cooked ones ready to be picked up - the silly begger kept grabbing from the raw pile!!!! I reached into the other basket and said "I'll take this one."

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 18th, 2010, 03:14 PM
Admiral

I think the problem sometimes is a too high level of expectation. People believe what the brochures say & with respect, what people on sites like this say about how WONDERFUL everything is. A cruise is a hotel that moves about that's all, we may love it but when it comes down to it it's only a hotel. How they prepare food to the standard they do is beyond me.
Old April 18th, 2010, 03:27 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
When it comes to food the opinions are very subjective in terms of taste and preferences. One person's likes and dislikes are very different from another's.

However there are objective observations that I have made over the years in terms of food on Royal Caribbean and these observations have become more frequent over my last four Royal Caribbean cruises.

There are basic things that need to be done to provide good food. You need to serve cold things cold and hot things hot. This is something that I have been very disappointed with.
  • Escargot that was cold and the bread crumbs on top were the consistency was similar to a blob of mud.
  • Halibut that was translucent throughout.
  • Meats that had to be spit into a napkin because they were unchewable.
  • Scallops that had turned giving an abhorrent fish taste to an entire seafood dish.
  • Presentation standards where soup is served with drips down the side of the bowl.
  • Steaks that haven't rested and are in a pool of their own juice and blood.
  • Creme Brule that is burnt and still served.
  • Creme Brule custard that is curdled and still served.
Six or seven years ago these issues were rarely seen on Royal Caribbean but they are now more common.

I do not go on a cruise expecting true gourmet food or ala-minute preparation. I expect that they will use proper cooking techniques, use reasonably fresh, good quality ingredients and have pride in preparation and presentation.

Food is subjective and some people may want bland food or they just don't care as long as someone else prepares the food and serves it to them. I am not in that group. I would MUCH prefer to go and cook my own food rather than be served something that is poorly prepared or just plain bad. I do believe that the attitude of "I don't care as long as I don't have to fix it." has added to the deterioration of the food quality. When people accept mediocrity or less, then that is what they get.

OK: I'm off my soapbox.

Take care,
Mike
All valid points to be sure...
With the exception of a very poor seafood dish in Portofino's,
we have never (thankfully) experienced any of those issues.

2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old April 18th, 2010, 03:30 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
I just remembered an event that happened in 1966 when I was sailing on a Cunard ship called the Carinthia.

We were at breakfast. As usually I ordered a soft boiled egg. When it was put in front of me and I tapped it open with my knife it was raw!! Mom called the waiter - he took it away with an apology and brought a second, well, didn't it also turn out to be raw. When he brought the 3rd and it too was raw my mom turned to him and said "she'll go into the kitchen and cook her own if this is the best you can do." (I was a kid at the time) The waiter took me into the kitchen actually and showed me what he did - there were two baskets of eggs sitting side by side - one was raw and waiting to be used and the other was where they put the cooked ones ready to be picked up - the silly begger kept grabbing from the raw pile!!!! I reached into the other basket and said "I'll take this one."

Ha !!! Good story

2004 Carnival Sensation
1993 Celebrity Horizon
1991 Celebrity Meridian
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Passenger

Default Kid Food

One quick question since the last time we cruised was our honeymoon and we had no children....

We will be cruising next Spring. When we go to the Main Dining Room for our sit-down dinners, do they have "kid food"? I'm not saying corn dogs and fries, but my 6-yr-old son would never eat filet mignon and I wouldn't waste it on him! Do they have other options for the kids besides the "adult food", like spaghetti or mac and cheese? My 12-yr-old daughter will be so excited to eat a fancy steak- she never gets it at home due to the cost so it will be a treat for her!

Thanks.

Also does RCI consider a 12 year old an adult or a child when charging us for the cruise?
Old April 18th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybaybie10 View Post
One quick question since the last time we cruised was our honeymoon and we had no children....

We will be cruising next Spring. When we go to the Main Dining Room for our sit-down dinners, do they have "kid food"? I'm not saying corn dogs and fries, but my 6-yr-old son would never eat filet mignon and I wouldn't waste it on him! Do they have other options for the kids besides the "adult food", like spaghetti or mac and cheese? My 12-yr-old daughter will be so excited to eat a fancy steak- she never gets it at home due to the cost so it will be a treat for her!

Thanks.

Also does RCI consider a 12 year old an adult or a child when charging us for the cruise?
They do have a kids menu so your children will be OK with that.

I don't think they have mac and cheese though.

A 12 year old is a child but that is not the way RCL prices their cruise. There is a price for first and second in the cabin and a lesser amount for third and fourth in the cabin. It's not based on age though. If you get two cabins you will pay full fare for all.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 19th, 2010, 08:53 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It doesn't matter if the 3rd person is a baby or an adult, same price. The price for the 3rd and 4th is discounted anyway, so it doesn't matter the age of the passenger.. Regardless, its still a person to clean up after, towels, sheets, etc...

Message Boards Moderator