Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Admiral

Unhappy European flights - cancellations now......

Is there anyone here who is being affected by the massive flight cancellations in Europe?

I've been reading so much in regards to insurance, re-routing, cancellations and expectations.

I understand RCL (along with most of the other lines) are following U.K. laws. If you booked a complete package, including air with them, you are entitled to be completly refunded - not just a future cruise credit, however if you purchases cruise only you are not entitled to anything.

Of course if you have insurance, I would be turning it over the them to help but apparently most of the insurance policies over there do not allow for "act of God", which this is and therefore will not cover the costs.

What a mess.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Sponsored Links
Old April 17th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Admiral

Default Yeah ..right..

Only an insurance company could blame the act of a mythical being as a way of stiffing the customer!!
Even when the planes get the ok it will a nightmare, everything will be in the wrong place.
Old April 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Only an insurance company could blame the act of a mythical being as a way of stiffing the customer!!
: Well-said!
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:06 PM
Familiar Face

Had a vague thought.... could the people who are stranded in an area with a cruise port take a cruise ship back to Europe? It would be easier, fun and perhaps faster. I read some flights won't be leaving for another week.
Old April 17th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Admiral

We were just saying that, in an ideal world ...Our local paper says that OV is in Crete but a lot of passengers haven't arrived, though some have & some have just stayed on board ...nowhere to go. So if you got there you ain't going anywhere & if you have been you ain't going anywhere either!!
Old April 17th, 2010, 05:14 PM
Passenger

Default May benefit some

Also read that (understandably) the situation has brought about an increase of inquiries regarding transatlantic sailings on the Queen Mary 2.
Old April 17th, 2010, 05:19 PM
Admiral

There is an opportunity ...
Old April 17th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Admiral

btw - isn't this Mother Nature?????

I'm sure some who are on ships that are just arriving are being offered bargains to stay on another week or so - I guess I would if I had no other choice - of course it would depend on how much they want.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 17th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Admiral

Default stayin' on...

I don't suppose you got much choice but stay really & if the ship isn't moving... I bet it is more reasonable than ashore where the kind hoteliers are no doubt all ''helping out'' with cheap accommodation in the circumstances.
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I don't suppose you got much choice but stay really & if the ship isn't moving... I bet it is more reasonable than ashore where the kind hoteliers are no doubt all ''helping out'' with cheap accommodation in the circumstances.
Owners of hotels do seem to do that don't they, as soon as there is an emergency they raise the prices to double - triple.

I used to work for a hotel in the falls a number of years ago when tourism was great - on Saturday nght when everything was sold out it became a bidding war. They really only had to go down the road to Thorold or St. Catharines to get a hotel room at as reasonable price but they didn't know that. And no-one (except me) would tell them that.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 18th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Admiral

A person I post to on another messege board was supposed to be on the Eclipse next week for a 2 day inaugural voyage. She is supposed to fly out tomorrow. It seems a lot of TA's were invited-I guess many will not be able to go if that cloud does not lift.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
146 days total
Old April 18th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
A person I post to on another messege board was supposed to be on the Eclipse next week for a 2 day inaugural voyage. She is supposed to fly out tomorrow. It seems a lot of TA's were invited-I guess many will not be able to go if that cloud does not lift.

That's too bad cause it looks like the earliest I'm hearing in Thursday unless you already have a confimred booking. There are people who will be a week before they can get home.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 18th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
That's too bad cause it looks like the earliest I'm hearing in Thursday unless you already have a confimred booking. There are people who will be a week before they can get home.
Her cruise leaves Thursday (April 22) so I guess she won't-unless she left on a Wed midnight flight (so early Thursday)-she would never make the ship-would she?

I saw Trip was going also, (she replied to Jane's thread on the fashion board over there) so I guess that is too bad for both of them. I hate that. Even though it was only a 2 night cruise-Jane intended to spend a week in England.

I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
146 days total
Old April 18th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
Her cruise leaves Thursday (April 22) so I guess she won't-unless she left on a Wed midnight flight (so early Thursday)-she would never make the ship-would she?

I saw Trip was going also, (she replied to Jane's thread on the fashion board over there) so I guess that is too bad for both of them. I hate that. Even though it was only a 2 night cruise-Jane intended to spend a week in England.

They are trying. Some of the airlines (BA, KLM, Air France) have run test flights and they appear to be OK. Apparently they are going to ask that the airspace be opened again but it isn't their choice.

If they do start letting them go those with confirmed seats will go first so if Trip and your friend have confirmed seats after restrictions are lifted they should be able to get out. Secondly will be those who have had their flights cancelled over the last 3 days. Of course it's too late for anything from Europe now with the time difference so we are already looking at Monday.

I feel bad for those who were suppose to leave. I'm now wondering about ours for October. I wanted to book this weekend with our ffm but it's impossible to do at the moment. I hate to phone when they are tied up with those who are already out and about. Maybe tomorrow.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 18th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Admiral

Default who goes...

So, how do we think they will work this backlog, when the dust eventually clears? I assume that those waiting longest that haven't cancelled go first?
Old April 18th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Admiral

Well, they'll put on bigger planes first. Then the confirmed will go then next the higher priced tickets - first class, business class then down the line til those that paid the least.

Now you do realize this is only me speaking. I don't speak for the airlines.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 18th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
Well, they'll put on bigger planes first. Then the confirmed will go then next the higher priced tickets - first class, business class then down the line til those that paid the least.

Now you do realize this is only me speaking. I don't speak for the airlines.
So...you think that people that have been waiting with families in airports since the start of this will be bumped in favour of people with more expensive tickets....not nice.
Old April 18th, 2010, 05:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
So...you think that people that have been waiting with families in airports since the start of this will be bumped in favour of people with more expensive tickets....not nice.

Yes, actually I do. It has nothing to do with who they are or their particular situation. Its the way it's done. Always the cheaper priced tickets risk being bumped if a plane is overbooked.

And, yes, those that are flying first class/business will always go before the family that is flying economy. It may not sound fair but that's the way the booking grades go.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 18th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Admiral

So we are in a European airport with thousands of people who have been there for days, are you saying they will call for 1st & Business class passengers & the rest will have to wait?
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Yes and people who are at a high level in their FF programs will also get priority.

If there are extenuating circumstances families will be prioritized.

The people at the top of the list are the flight crews who need to be relocated to other aircraft in the system.

It may not be fair but that's the way it is.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:34 PM
Admiral

Now I admit I know little about the workings of airlines but surely they will call for the flights in the order that they should have departed? I can't see thousands of desperate people just sitting there saying ''after you as you paid more'' or ''because we are on holiday we are less important than you''. Are we "on the same page " here? I am talking about repatriation of thousands of holiday makers on mostly charter flights, who are low on cash, had nowhere to stay for days & just want to get home??
Old April 18th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Admiral

No, they won't do it that way. Sorry, it may sound like they should but in fact, they won't.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 18th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Sorry to appear thick here, but you say they won't just replace flight for flight in order but put special planes on just for 1st class etc. leaving ordinary charter passengers to wait? Well we shall see, but if they do that over here there will be trouble at the airports I bet!!
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Sorry to appear thick here, but you say they won't just replace flight for flight in order but put special planes on just for 1st class etc. leaving ordinary charter passengers to wait? Well we shall see, but if they do that over here there will be trouble at the airports I bet!!

No you misunderstand. They will put on bigger planes. They will then board everyone who has a valid ticket for that flight. Then they will first board any first class/business class who have been stranded in any empty seats for first/business class. Then they board those that are waiting based on the class of ticket they have. Basically each class of ticket sells for a different price. If you have a Y class you are going to be at the bottom of the list and will be last boarded after all holding tickets of higher class than you, even if they are flying in the same seats.

That's the way its done and I don't think you will find anyone over there who will be placed in any different order. This is one of the reasons to buy first/business class or higher end economy. It's the price you pay.

They can get as ticked as they want over there it isn't going to change how things are done. That's why so many have been told it will be Thursday to Saturday before they can get out.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 19th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Admiral

You may not quite grasp the way we fly over here, virtually everyone goes on package holidays on charter flights, I don't think there actually is a ticket class as such. I think most of those stranded will be this class of passenger. My idea that when flights restart they will just have a mass repatriation is a non-starter then? we are not talking a few hundred people here more like tens or even hundreds of thousands.
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Admiral

Actually I fully grasp - I am English living in Canada

It doesn't matter - no matter how much they want to they cannot perform miracles. They will return everyone to their destination in the manner I have described because that's they only way they can do it. No matter where you are, you do not choice who is going where based on the size of the family or how much change is in their jeans.

Once again - they will start with those who have confirmed tickets on the flights that are about to leave. From then on it will be based on who is rebooked and for when.

No miracles.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 19th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Admiral

And to be clear, those with first class tickets WILL go first. That's part of why they pay extra.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old April 19th, 2010, 08:01 AM
Admiral

OK...they will just resume normal flights & fit people in if there are any spare seats, no extra flights & no rescue missions, as the vast majority will not have higher priced tickets & few charters have enhanced classes anyway this is going to take a long time, we shall see.
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Default Hmmm....

Monarch airlines are sending planes from Tenerife to Madrid & getting people back to the UK by coach, HMS Ark Royal has been sent to Calais to get people across the channel....no mention of class distinction... Tui Travel (Europe's largest TA) are utilising their cruise ships & also getting people to mainland Spain to coach home, no mention of ticket price there...
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Admiral

In the interest of fairness, news is that people stranded in China have been told BA are no longer willing to pay for their accommodation or expenses & they are on their own. If they want to go home they have to re-book at a cost of 2,600 each, they are on a package tour of China. Similar news from Russia where people whose visa's have expired are under house arrest in a hotel.