Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 24th, 2010, 03:55 PM
Passenger

Question Passport or Passport Card?

We will be cruising with about 25 people next Spring and have a question about passports. None of us have a passport and at $100 a whack it can get quite pricey for our budget travelers. I know that closed loop (we re going Eastern Caribbean) dont require them, but I don't feel ok traveling w/o one due to medical emergencies, etc, etc. The new passport card looks to cover most bases and is only $45. What are everyone's thoughts on this? In my family there are 2 adults and 2 children. I want to advise my group cruisers on which way to go.

Thank you in advance.

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Old April 24th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Captain

Default Passport or Passport Card

GET THE PASSPORT! Granted, the iniitial cost is more than the card, but the passport is good for ten years - $10 per year! We would never consider leaving the USA without some proof that we are citizens. There are all sorts of things that can go wrong - a broken leg that requires evacuation from South America, etc., and a passport proves you can get back into the US with no problems.

OK, maybe a passport card will do the same, but as someone who traveled the world when I was working, I found there was nothing more valuable than a US passport.

Forget about the cost. Get the passport.

Norm
Old April 24th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybaybie10 View Post
We will be cruising with about 25 people next Spring and have a question about passports. None of us have a passport and at $100 a whack it can get quite pricey for our budget travelers. I know that closed loop (we re going Eastern Caribbean) don't require them, but I don't feel OK traveling w/o one due to medical emergencies, etc, etc. The new passport card looks to cover most bases and is only $45. What are everyone's thoughts on this? In my family there are 2 adults and 2 children. I want to advise my group cruisers on which way to go.

Thank you in advance.

Melissa
Melissa,

Sorry to burst your bubble but the passport card is only good for land or sea entry. If for some reason you need to leave the ship for a medical emergency or other reason you would have a hard time getting back by air. Air travel is how you would be transported back to the U.S.

Here is a segment of the description of the Passport Card from the U.S. Department of State website:

Purpose

The new wallet-size U.S. Passport Card is a travel document that can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Note that it cannot be used for international air travel. The passport card is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book.

Go with the passport.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 24th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I'll have to agree here, doesn't look like having the card has many benefits, other than half the cost, but its not the same thing. Go ahead and advise your group to get a passport, its good for 10 years...If you enjoy cruising, chances are, you'll go again within 10 years and will be ready to go, no hassles..

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 24th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Passenger

Thank you all! I did read about the passport card, but didn't notice the part you pointed out about AIR travel. That makes perfect sense now. I shall go with the passport.
Old April 24th, 2010, 09:07 PM
Beginner

When I renewed my passport recently, I got both the card and passport. Other than cruising. They didn't charge me additional for it. It was a fee for both. I like having the card in my wallet for ID purposes. I always travel with my passport when going overseas.

Eris
Old April 25th, 2010, 01:17 AM
First Mate

Default Passport and Card

All good advice.
If you can afford it , having the Passport as your prime ID and the Passport Card as a wallet Identification makes a lot of sense.
Remember to make a copy of your passport (the page with your picture/signature. number et etra and keep in your wallet.
This way with your passport in the cruise ship cabin safe, cruise ID on you, you still have a backup on you.

As a person born in the UK and now a Canadian, I can tell you the problems I had years ago going into the US when the first question was 'where were you born'?
Soon as you said something that was not part of US , trouble.
So , I learnt eons ago to carry a passport when away and in my wallet is my citizenship card.

You just never know///
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old April 25th, 2010, 06:44 PM
Familiar Face

My wife and I have used the passport card exclusively the past few cruises, leaving our passports at home. We never gave a thought to an emergency arising, such as what Mike M pointed out. I think we'll take our passports along for back-up from now on. Thanks for the good advice, Mike.
Old April 26th, 2010, 07:24 AM
Admiral

get the passport so you have more options..prorate the cost over 10 years and you will see it is a great bargin