Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 19th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Summing up the NEW RCI price guarantee

here it is in a nutshell ---

First - the old policy is completely gone unless you booked your cruise before May 17. In that case you are still fully entitled to the old best price guarantee.

With new bookings it works like this:

If you put down a deposit only before the final payment is due you can watch for price drops and put down the final payment whenever you want at the lower price. You are NOT obligated to pay the price the cruise was when you made your deposit. But you must make the final payment before the penalty period starts (usually 90 days ahead of the sail date) or else pay whatever the price is on the day final payments are due.

If you happen to have made a full payment and the penalty period has not yet started and the prices drop you can ask for an upgraded stateroom selling for the amount you paid for your stateroom (assuming all the cruise fares on the ship went down) and RCL will try to accomodate you.

In the absense of these two conditions (meaning you booked during the penalty phase by paying full price) you are stuck with the 48-hour best price guarantee limitation. If you see a better price within 48 hours you fill in a form showing the lower price and you will receive a 110% shipboard credit for the difference between what you paid and the new price. This offer ends 48 hours after you book your cruise by making the reservation and leaving a deposit.

That's it.
Sponsored Links
Old May 19th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Familiar Face

I'm not sure I understand and am reading the following quote incorrectly:

Quote:
If you put down a deposit only before the final payment is due you can watch for price drops and put down the final payment whenever you want at the lower price. You are NOT obligated to pay the price the cruise was when you made your deposit. But you must make the final payment before the penalty period starts (usually 90 days ahead of the sail date) or else pay whatever the price is on the day final payments are due.
Does this mean if you don't pay your final payment 90 days out, which I believe is earlier than the usual final payment date (isn't it 75 days?), then you have to pay what the price is on the final payment date? So if the price is higher than when you put your deposit down, you have to pay the higher price? I thought the price was locked in when you placed the deposit. Am I reading that wrong that people need to make their final payments 90 days out to get the price that they put the deposit on or run the risk of having to pay more when the actual final price is due?
Old May 20th, 2010, 11:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Got it thanks.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old May 20th, 2010, 02:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Wando - I honestly don't know what happens if the price goes up. I assume you have to pay whatever the price is whenever you make your final payment.

If the price goes up after you make your final payment then there no penalty - but there is an upgrade possible if you make a final payment and the price goes down before the penalty period begins. This is an alternative to having you cancel and rebook, or having to give you an ojboard credit.

But to answer your other question - your deposit is due the same day the penalty period starts. It varies according to whether your cruise is 1-5 days 6-8 days or 9-days+, it is 75, 90 and 90 days out.
Old May 20th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It sounds to me that once you book, in order to keep the price you got when first booking, you need to make final payment or pay the price when final payment is due? Sounds like they just want more money earlier....May-be?

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 20th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Admiral

I don't think they mean you will have to pay a higher price on your final payment date if the price of your cruise has gone up. That's absurd. All it means is once you make final payment on your final payment date there will be no more rate reductions available and that's only if you booked after May 17.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old May 20th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Felix,
That does make more sense...

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
I don't think they mean you will have to pay a higher price on your final payment date if the price of your cruise has gone up. That's absurd. All it means is once you make final payment on your final payment date there will be no more rate reductions available and that's only if you booked after May 17.
I hope that is what it means, but Paul's post seems to say otherwise:

Quote:
But you must make the final payment before the penalty period starts (usually 90 days ahead of the sail date) or else pay whatever the price is on the day final payments are due.
Old May 20th, 2010, 10:24 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Wando - I honestly don't know what happens if the price goes up. I assume you have to pay whatever the price is whenever you make your final payment.

If the price goes up after you make your final payment then there no penalty - but there is an upgrade possible if you make a final payment and the price goes down before the penalty period begins. This is an alternative to having you cancel and rebook, or having to give you an ojboard credit.

But to answer your other question - your deposit is due the same day the penalty period starts. It varies according to whether your cruise is 1-5 days 6-8 days or 9-days+, it is 75, 90 and 90 days out.
I checked the final payment date for my RCL cruise next April (13 nights) is 70 days (final payment due Feb 19, 2011; Cruise April 30). Note: this cruise shouldn't be impacted as it was booked in Jan 2010. I always thought it was either 70 or 75 days unless it was a Christmas holiday cruise and then final payment was 90 days.

So if the price isn't guaranteed once you pay the deposit for final payment, then I assume to be sure to have that price quoted when you placed your deposit you will have pay the final payment at 90 days or earlier rather than the actual final payment date.

I can see locking the price down after final payment, but keep that price what it was when the deposit was placed or change the final payment date to 90 days prior for all cruises. I'm hoping all this is just poor communication on the part of RCL.
Old May 21st, 2010, 09:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wando View Post
I checked the final payment date for my RCL cruise next April (13 nights) is 70 days (final payment due Feb 19, 2011; Cruise April 30). Note: this cruise shouldn't be impacted as it was booked in Jan 2010. I always thought it was either 70 or 75 days unless it was a Christmas holiday cruise and then final payment was 90 days.

So if the price isn't guaranteed once you pay the deposit for final payment, then I assume to be sure to have that price quoted when you placed your deposit you will have pay the final payment at 90 days or earlier rather than the actual final payment date.

I can see locking the price down after final payment, but keep that price what it was when the deposit was placed or change the final payment date to 90 days prior for all cruises. I'm hoping all this is just poor communication on the part of RCL.
I'm sure Paul did not mean that. It makes no sense to book a cruise today at $1000 then pay in off in 6 months and have to pay $1,500 because that is the current price.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old May 21st, 2010, 12:03 PM
Passenger

Thumbs down Sounds a lot like the "old" way.

Actually, in the "olden days", like around 12 or 14 yrs. ago (when prices sometimes varied a LOT depending upon which agency you booked through), it was often quite hard to impossible to get an "adjustment" after final pymt.

Back then, we used to cruise every yr. w/RCCL during March, along w/our friends. At best we ONCE got a small upgrade when the price dropped, however we didn't realize that is why we got the upgrade until later. Subsequent to that, there was an occasion involving a booking on RCCL when the same T/A would not give our neighbors an adjustment, nor an upgrade, though the price for their cabin category had dropped significantly. The T/A blamed it on RCCL and vice versa.

I always booked figuring after final pymt., nothing could be done. It was so in my experience. There were some posts on these boards to the contrary, but they always seemed to be people who booked the higher end cabins, booked frequently w/a particular agent.

When the adjustments became more easily available, I was thrilled! The past several years I have come to expect an adjustment when prices drop and have received several. Although RCCL used to be our first choice in cruisng and they have wonderful ships, their prices are higher & we have been using other lines more often as a result. Now they are removing the "safety net", so there is less of an advantage to book with them. The differences between the mainstream big ship lines are not THAT different, so . . . .???
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I understand that statements can easily be read in ways the author did not intend. I said this...

If it goes lower after you make a final payment, but before the penalty period starts you can request an upgrade. If it goes higher no problem, you have locked in your price when you made your deposit.
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:36 PM
Admiral

Paul, That is certainly not what I got out of it. What I have understood, if you book May 17th or later you are entitled to whatever price drops happen if any. When you reach final payment date you pay whatever you booked at or were reduced to and that is they end of if. No more changes.

Certainly I'm sure they do not intend to raise the price of your cruise if you don't pay til the day it's due if the price has gone up. In that case no one, and I do mean no, is going to book a cruise with RCL and company before the last 30-60 days. It just wouldn't make sense if you are not locked into the rate you booked at.

Anyway, I will be on the Solstice on Sunday for Seminars. I will most definitely be querying this new program and see exactly what the truth is.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old May 21st, 2010, 09:50 PM
Admiral

The misinformation about this policy is astounding. If you book at a price, everything remains the same as it was...you pay the price you booked at.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:09 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Felix....

I admit I had not considered what would happen if the price went up - and since I am not a travel agent I will say you are right, that you pay what the price was when you made your deposit. It seemed to me (from memory) that it was the other way, but my memory certainly isn't perfect.

Either way - that policy has not changed and it wasn't mentioned in the new "Best Price Guarantee" policy. The only thing I ever meant to address was the new policy.
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Passenger

Quote:
here it is in a nutshell ---

First - the old policy is completely gone unless you booked your cruise before May 17. In that case you are still fully entitled to the old best price guarantee.

With new bookings it works like this:

If you put down a deposit only before the final payment is due you can watch for price drops and put down the final payment whenever you want at the lower price. You are NOT obligated to pay the price the cruise was when you made your deposit.But you must make the final payment before the penalty period starts (usually 90 days ahead of the sail date) or else pay whatever the price is on the day final payments are due.

If you happen to have made a full payment and the penalty period has not yet started and the prices drop you can ask for an upgraded stateroom selling for the amount you paid for your stateroom (assuming all the cruise fares on the ship went down) and RCL will try to accomodate you.

In the absense of these two conditions (meaning you booked during the penalty phase by paying full price) you are stuck with the 48-hour best price guarantee limitation. If you see a better price within 48 hours you fill in a form showing the lower price and you will receive a 110% shipboard credit for the difference between what you paid and the new price. This offer ends 48 hours after you "make" your final payment.

That's it.
I am not sure where you are getting your information from, but that is not even close to what I was told. I spoke to a travel agent (who specializes in cruises) and RCCL and was told the following:
1) I am able to receive any price drop that happens right up until final payment. In order to get this price drop I do not have to pay the rest of balance at that time. I can pay it on the final payment date, just as I would with the old policy.
2) If there is a price drop that happens within 48 hours of me booking a cruise, than I get an onboard credit for 110% of the price difference.
3) Final payment date is 70 days prior. It is only holiday sailings that require final payment before 90 days.
4) If the price drops after final payment, I can ask for an upgrade.
5) When I put down a deposit, I am guaranteed that price. I do not have to pay the price that is in effect on final payment date.

The Q&A on cruisecritic also mentions this same info. I have a hard time believing that a spokesperson for the cruiseline would do an interview with a well known cruise site and purposely give false information. Therefore, I am treating the Q&A on cruisecritic as fact.

The policy as posted on RCCL's website is confusing. However, the information that you are giving is inaccurate.
Old May 24th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I also got my information from a top-selling RCL travel agent. I admit my interpretation may not be perfect, it was how we interpretted it at the time - we are waiting for clarification to come in.

BUt I ask you what you mean when you say "book a cruise" - I checked with RCL and the online gaurantee says when you "make a reservation" defined by RCL as making a deposit.

At that point you have just 48 hours to look for a better price. I stand by only being eligible for an ungrade up until the time final payment is made (if there is a price drop) because the idea there was to eliminate the need to cancel and rebook. That period is only good up until the cancellation penalty period starts (when final payment is due).
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I just want to make a point here. Cruise Critic already amended thweir Q & A once - so I sewe no reason to take it as gospel.

Plus, the bottom line is that the price guarantee is what you see on the RCL web site, not Cruise Critic.

I checked with RCL about two things:

1. The new price guarantee starts when you make a reservation (a deposit)

2. The old price guarantee is gone.

Bottom line, as time goes on, despite what they say in Cruise Critic, if it is not written in the RCL Best Price Guarantee then it is not a done deal.
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:14 AM
First Mate

Quote:
I just want to make a point here. Cruise Critic already amended thweir Q & A once - so I sewe no reason to take it as gospel.

Plus, the bottom line is that the price guarantee is what you see on the RCL web site, not Cruise Critic.

I checked with RCL about two things:

1. The new price guarantee starts when you make a reservation (a deposit)

2. The old price guarantee is gone.

Bottom line, as time goes on, despite what they say in Cruise Critic, if it is not written in the RCL Best Price Guarantee then it is not a done deal.

Off topic:
I see in your signature that you will be on the Epic TA? We finally shall meet. ;-)
Old May 27th, 2010, 12:18 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
Absurd? In the dictionary under 'absurd' you have the initial RCI.

Quote:
Main Entry: 1abĚsurd
Pronunciation: \əb-ˈsərd, -ˈzərd\
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle French absurde, from Latin absurdus, from ab- + surdus deaf, stupid
Date: 1557
1 : ridiculously unreasonable, unsound, or incongruous <an absurd argument>
2 : having no rational or orderly relationship to human life : meaningless <an absurd universe>; also : lacking order or value <an absurd existence>
3 : dealing with the absurd or with absurdism <absurd theater>
4 : RCI
Old May 27th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Captain

This whole thing gives me a headache. Why does it have to be so confusing? Cant the brains at RCCL make it easy for people to understand in clear concise language? I dont want to hear lawyer speak. I want PR or marketing people to tell me in simple terms. How friggin hard is that to do?
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old May 30th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Well, I am back from my Seminar and the leader is just as confused as the rest of us. He has asked Miami (twice) for an explanation and proper information. He has promised to email it to me tomorrow.

Amusing - there were 31 of us there and we all had a different take on RCI's statement.

As for taking anything on Cruisecritic as gospel - why? They are a gossip site - nothing more nothing less. They are certainly not the have all be all and I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone would take their owners/moderators word for anything as the "real thing".

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old May 30th, 2010, 08:15 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Thanks Felix. One thing I knew was that that article was misleading, and not accurate.

All you have to do is compare what the guarantees say vs what the Cruise Critic article says and when the "rudder meets the road" you know the fallback position will be what is in writing - not how some underling attempted to "spin it."

But the biggest mistake in Cruise Critic's article was in taking what she said was "the spirit of" the guarantee and interpretting that to be the "rules". Such as saying it is "targetted" at people who make reservations after the penalty period starts and turning that into "it only applies to" such people. Not true.

PLEASE COME BACK here and tell us when you get the final interpretation.
Old May 31st, 2010, 02:22 PM
Beginner

Default Excuse my Ignorance

Someone once said there is no such thing as a stupid question. Well that was before this one. Here goes: How do I know if my price has dropped?

I booked 5/24/10 for an 8/14/10 sailing. Right now it is deposit only. I did not use a TA but booked directly with RCI - prolly not something that is advisable I know but we sorta did this on a whim. I've got my commitments via email and our final payments are due 6/14.

So how do I watch to see if our price has dropped?

Be nice.. I know it's a dumb question!
Old May 31st, 2010, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3tellas3 View Post
Someone once said there is no such thing as a stupid question. Well that was before this one. Here goes: How do I know if my price has dropped?

I booked 5/24/10 for an 8/14/10 sailing. Right now it is deposit only. I did not use a TA but booked directly with RCI - prolly not something that is advisable I know but we sorta did this on a whim. I've got my commitments via email and our final payments are due 6/14.

So how do I watch to see if our price has dropped?

Be nice.. I know it's a dumb question!
Certainly not a dumb question. As you booked directly with RCL it is up to you to check for price drops. The easiest way is to go to the RCL site and go through the booking process as if you were going to book the exact category again. See if the price is cheaper than when you booked. the things to remember - it must be exactly what you are booked in, it must not be a Tuesday special - you may see it as senior discount, Military discount, state discount - you would be entitled to those 3. Some of the others you may not be.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old June 1st, 2010, 12:43 PM
First Mate

Default Price Drop

I booked May 3 on Solstice for a July cruise in Aqua Class. Two weeks later the price dropped $300 per person. I now have a $600 on board credit. Had I booked after May 17 I not be smiling as big as I am today;-)

Tulum Mexico Resort Reviews

Splendour of the Seas 97
Veendam 05
Westerdam 06
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11