CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Jellyfish at CoCo Cay (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/374274-jellyfish-coco-cay.html)

tbsavga June 2nd, 2010 11:51 PM

Jellyfish at CoCo Cay

Our 4 night cruise will go to RCCL's private island of CoCo Cay in a couple of weeks. This will be my fourth time there, and I love the place, especially since the overhaul several years ago.
My question is regarding jellyfish. The first two times I went there, I never saw the first jellyfish, yet last August on our honeymoon, it was a jellyfish minefield! Was that due to the time of year, or has there been recent developments in weather or tidal patterns that have affected this?
Anyone been there recently? can anyone give me a heads-up?

AF1 June 4th, 2010 09:40 PM

That is a good question. I will be taking my 5 grandkids there next year; and I will wait to hear an answer.

Cruisebunny7 June 8th, 2010 09:33 AM

I am going on Monarch OTS in 3 days so after I come back on 06/15 I will let you know if we had any "jellies" sightings at Coco Cay this weekend!!

tbsavga June 8th, 2010 10:42 AM

Thanks, but I will be on CoCo Cay on the 15th, you must be thinking about the 13th, since we leave on the Monarch on Monday the 14th.
It would be great to hear ahead of time, though, so I can mentally prepare if the jellies are out !

Cruisebunny7 June 8th, 2010 07:37 PM

lol Yup...we will be there on the 13th...I think that is what I mean't to type!! Enjoy your cruise also!! I LOVE quickie cruises!!

wordsyouwant June 10th, 2010 11:27 PM

We just got back from Coco Cay on the Monarch and I did see one small jellyfish while snorkeling. It was about the size of your palm. I overheard one guy say that one got him on the shoulder, but it was small so it didn't hurt too bad. More of a sting I guess. I steered clear. My husband was also snorkeling, but I don't think he saw any. There was some great snorkeling though. Lots of neat fish to be seen. We also saw a stingray on the far right of the beach just by the far right lifeguard stand in the sand.

AF1 June 11th, 2010 03:06 PM

tnks for the update wordsyouwant. I appreciate the tip

Paul Motter June 11th, 2010 03:28 PM

If you get stung by a jellyfish pee on it immediately (the sting, not the jellyfish). I wish I had known that after Cozumel when I got stung on the hand. I burned for hours.

A jellyfish sting is irritating, but it isn't life-threatening as far as I know.

Of course, you don't want young kids getting stung since they will cry for hours, but for me it was an irritation but not a big deal.

dave 3261 July 15th, 2010 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbsavga (Post 1295482)
Our 4 night cruise will go to RCCL's private island of CoCo Cay in a couple of weeks. This will be my fourth time there, and I love the place, especially since the overhaul several years ago.
My question is regarding jellyfish. The first two times I went there, I never saw the first jellyfish, yet last August on our honeymoon, it was a jellyfish minefield! Was that due to the time of year, or has there been recent developments in weather or tidal patterns that have affected this?
Anyone been there recently? can anyone give me a heads-up?

Late August is when you start seeing the jellyfish here at Gilgo Beach, NY.

jimt July 17th, 2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave 3261 (Post 1303493)
Late August is when you start seeing the jellyfish here at Gilgo Beach, NY.

What does than have to do with CoCo Cay?:?:

Donna July 19th, 2010 07:10 PM

Just watched a segment on the news about jellyfish. Seems when its warmer, they reproduce at record numbers and since its been a very warm summer worldwide, you could see more than usual??

addicted2 July 21st, 2010 08:53 PM

We will be in Cococay in a few weeks so I will be on the lookout for jellyfish. Will let you know if we see any.