Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Beginner

Default Samana Question

Booked Enchantment of the Sea for our first cruise and are looking at shore excursions. We are finding alot of bad reviews of Samana but they are 2 to 3 years old. Has anyone been there recently and can give us their views of the island? What excursions were your favorites? Waiting impatiently for our cruise to get here.

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:51 PM
Familiar Face

My girlfriend and I were there in March, and did the 4 hour tour, where they take you to a farm, drive you throughout the countryside, and walk to a waterfall.

Basically this wasn't too bad, but like any third world country, there are plenty of people looking for handouts. the farm visit was ok, tasted some local "delicacies" if you will. Not my taste, but when in Rome...

The walk to the waterfall was ok, but there were local kids there, taking your arm, helping you through, then expecting a tip. They practically knock you over, and it was just an uncomfortable feeling. Then you visit a beautiful nearby beach, but you can't go in the water; want a chair, you have to pay for it.

It was a long tour, since you couldn't swim in the water, they could have made this 45 min stop into 15 mins. But my girlfriend and I wandered off and found some time to ourselves near the rocks water.

A few people I spoke with all said about the same with their tours, all ok, nothing, WOW, and a lot of people looking for handouts. Where the tenders dock is a nice water front area, some shops about a 20 min walk, but not much at all, don't plan on a lot of shopping here.

If there is a beach tour to hang out at a beach you could actually swim in, I would probably do that next, but let me tell you; being two blonde haired blue eyed women... we embarrassingly were the center of attention, and it was uncomfortable at times.

Try to find something though, it is a country that needs economic help, and there is something to learn there.

Enjoy your voyage!
Old June 19th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Beginner

Thank you for the info, it gives us something to think about.
Old June 20th, 2010, 03:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanttocruise View Post
Booked Enchantment of the Sea for our first cruise and are looking at shore excursions. We are finding alot of bad reviews of Samana but they are 2 to 3 years old. Has anyone been there recently and can give us their views of the island? What excursions were your favorites? Waiting impatiently for our cruise to get here.

Thank You
WTC, I was in Samana in April of '09. DW and I did a hoarse back riding excursion.

We boarded a bus and traveled about 45mins through the countryside and small villages. We stopped at a gift shop and cigar shop where you can purchase souvenirs and hand rolled Dominican cigars. From there we traveled about another 15mins. From there we got on our horses and went riding for about 30mins with some beautiful views. We then hiked through the tropical forest for about 20mins to a beautiful waterfall(I think it was Cascades di Limon). We went swimming in the little watering hole at the bottom of the falls. We hiked back to the horses, rode the horses back to where the busses were waiting, and then the bus ride back to the ship.

It was really nice and I would do it again, but it is also VERY VERY physical. I don't know exactly what type of excursion you are looking for. If you Are up for a workout, I would highly recommend this.
Old June 20th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Beginner

Wow, this sounds like great fun, I love horses and love to horseback ride. Thanks for the great idea
Old June 21st, 2010, 03:12 PM
First Mate

We booked an excursion through the ship to Cayo Levantado last spring. It was incredible, a beautiful beach with shopping, lounge chairs and a beach barbeque (an extra fee). It is my favorite beach we have been to, and we have been to many. You can see the ship from the beach and the water was crystal clear, there were starfish swimming by and you can snorkel and find little conch shells and quite a few fish. Whatever you decide have fun.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:14 PM
Familiar Face

Are you taking the EotS from Baltimore in Aug.?
Serenade October 2010
Freedom May 2010

Fantasy Nov. 2009
Serenade 2009
Victory March 2008
Holiday 2007
Rhapsody of the Seas 2006
Paradise 2004
Monarch of the Seas 2002
Paradise 2000
Big Red Boat 3x
NCL Sunward II
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
Beginner

Hi Catty, yep, we are going in August out of Baltimore. This is our first cruise so we are super excited about it and can't wait until it gets here.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 01:33 PM
Familiar Face

My husband and I are planning on booking that one today. We love cruises and I know you will enjoy it. There is nothing like a cruise!!
Serenade October 2010
Freedom May 2010

Fantasy Nov. 2009
Serenade 2009
Victory March 2008
Holiday 2007
Rhapsody of the Seas 2006
Paradise 2004
Monarch of the Seas 2002
Paradise 2000
Big Red Boat 3x
NCL Sunward II
Old June 26th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Familiar Face

We stopped in Samana in Nov 2009. We did shore excursion to Cayo Levantado and it was beautiful there. We did not go into town so can't comment about it. We were able to get a day pass to the resort on Cayo Levantado and it has been my favorite place of all my cruise outings. Have fun!!