CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   New and need info on wine (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/375141-new-need-info-wine.html)

disluver July 10th, 2010 09:00 PM

New and need info on wine

We are new cruisers!! We will be going on the Monarch in Sept. My husband I were wondering if we can bring wine or anything else with us on the boat. And if we can bring it on board can we bring it to dinner with us? I want to make sure I am follow the rules.

Mike M July 10th, 2010 10:35 PM

You can bring one bottle of wine per person. If you open it in a public venue (i.e. dining room) you will be charged a corkage fee. This can range from $10 to $20 depending on the cruise line.

You can also bring on a reasonable amount of soda but no alcohol, other than wine, is allowed to be brought on.

Take care,
Mike

Manuel July 11th, 2010 05:33 AM

Wine on the ship, is not that expensive. They have a good selection and provide good service.
I allways buy a few bottles during my cruises.

TM

felix_the_cat July 11th, 2010 11:24 AM

Mike - You cannot bring any wine onboard an RCL ship. They will confiscate it if caught. No wine - no liquor and some say no pop.

T C July 11th, 2010 01:14 PM

so to clearify ... on Carnival .. you can legally "carry on" one bottle of "wine" per person, they check to make sure it is sealed. You can also carry on limited amounts of soft drinks and bottled water .. which is also subject to being checked to see if it is "sealed" (it is not hard to dump out 7UP or Sprite and replace with any clear alcohol, the trick is to make it appear "sealed") The checked luggage is another story, I have had wine bubble wrapped in my checked luggage with no problem, but on the same cruise I talked with some people who had their luggage held, because of suspicous bottles that were either wine or hard liquor .. so you just don't know. The wine package on Carnival is not bad, I think it's either 5 or 6 bottles for around $120.00, yep it's more than you would pay for it at home, but is still much less than you would pay for an individual glass or bottle at dinner.

Ok so my mind is twisted :mrgreen: when I first read the title of this thread, my first thought was Oh you're new to wine ... just drink it :mrgreen: Sorry sometimes those things just jump out :p

Kimbopolo July 11th, 2010 05:37 PM

On our next (Carnival) cruise we intend to bring our own wine and pay the corkage fee.

Two questions:

1) I plan to bring the wine in a carry on - I don't want to appear to be hiding it. So do I just make sure they see it and explain it for what it is?

2) Do they keep the bottles for us or do we carry them to the dining room?

T C July 11th, 2010 05:58 PM

[QUOTE=Kimbopolo;1302853]On our next (Carnival) cruise we intend to bring our own wine and pay the corkage fee.

Two questions:

1) I plan to bring the wine in a carry on - I don't want to appear to be hiding it. So do I just make sure they see it and explain it for what it is?

2) Do they keep the bottles for us or do we carry them to the dining room? [/QUOTE]

1) One bottle per ADULT in their carry on

2) They let you carry it on ... after they check to see if it is sealed ... if you consume it in your room ... no additional fee ... if you choose to bring it to the dining room they will charge you a "corkage" fee ($10.00 I think)

Kimbopolo July 12th, 2010 06:49 PM

Thanks TC!

Manuel July 14th, 2010 07:54 AM

What is the advantage of bring your own wine and paying the corkage fee?
Royal ships have a fine wine selection and it saves me the trouble of carrying an extra item.

TM