Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old July 31st, 2010, 09:56 PM
amyd1972's Avatar
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: somewhere in the USA
Posts: 27
Exclamation RCCL's new policy on price drops

Hi, can someone clarify for me RCI's new policy on price drops after booking? I just booked a cruise for mar 31 and now I'm concerned that I'm going to end up paying way too much b/c I booked too early. The travel agent didn't tell me this until after I booked. Will I at least get an onboard credit if I ask for it? What can you use onboard credit towards? Any chance they'd upgrade my balcony room to a junior suite? What if I threaten to cancel my cruise altogether if I'm not compensated? I bought the insurance and my husband is a diabetic who can easily verify a medical reason for cancellation.Please advise--thanks. PS--this is my 1st time cruising (as if you couldn't already tell)
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old August 1st, 2010, 10:44 AM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,621
Default

Making threats is never a good idea. It's downright rude.

You can continue to get any discounts that you qualify for up to final payment. After that - no. You will not get an OBC if the price goes down after final payment. If you choose to cancel you will be into penalty phase and will have to pay accordingly.

They would only upgrade you under very trying circumstances which are really hard to meet.

You are free to cancel anytime before final payment. If your TA charges a penalty for cancelling you will be on the hook for that of course.

As you say this is your first time cruising - relax - don't threaten people - you only make enemies that way.

I'll also point out to you that all cruiselines are going this way now. The only one that will give a reduction is CCC and that's only if you bought using a non-refundable deposit.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old August 1st, 2010, 04:16 PM
AF1 AF1 is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,297
Send a message via MSN to AF1
Default

I agree with what Felix the Cat says, and I will caution you about your travel agent. When you went to the travel agent they should have explained everything to you. They are suppose to give full disclosure; meaning if you canx prior to final pmt, no harm no foul, if you canx after final pmt then u may not get all you money back; that is where cruise insurance comes into play. Your travel agent should have mentioned purchasing trip insurance; to cover your cruise and airfare in case you have to canx, it also covers you while onboard the ship and you have an emergency. Trip insurance is inexpensive, and you should have it. if u didn't purchase, suggest you speak with your travel agent. OBC(on board credit) is offered by a travel agent to entice you to book thru them. Royal Caribbean does not offer it directly. Now that I have said all this; what ship did you book and what itinerary? maybe we can answer questions you may have about the ship or cruise. Cheers
__________________
Freedom of the Seas Dec 11
Allure of the Seas: Jan 11
Voyager of the Seas: May 09
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99



Go Reds
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old August 1st, 2010, 04:27 PM
amyd1972's Avatar
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: somewhere in the USA
Posts: 27
Default

Thanks--I did buy the insurance, that's why I mentioned that I wouldn't be afraid to cancel if they refused to lower the price for me. Like any other consumer I just want the most for my dollar..as a new cruiser, it didn't occur to me that the price of the cruise could drop so I didn't think twice about booking early. I don't really agree with Felix that telling the cruise line I'll cancel if I don't get the lowest price available is rude. I mean that's what consumers do to get what they want for their money! Is the cruiseline rude to not reduce my final payment? No...they're just out to make as much $$ as they can. Rudeness has nothing to do with it.
That being said, I'm sailing on the Explorer of the SEas and looking forward to it regardless of the price.
I just thought someone might have a tip on how to get the best price.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old August 1st, 2010, 04:39 PM
AF1 AF1 is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,297
Send a message via MSN to AF1
Default

Amy1972, don't worry your travel agent and you both can check prices from now until you sail. That being said, if the price goes down, and you haven't paid your remaining full pmt, you will be able to get a lower price for the cabin you are in. Depending on how the cruise sells out, will determine if u get an upgrade. I will tell u this; Royal Caribbean normally upgrades their Crown and Anchor loyalty members and Diamond members first. Same as frequent flier program; those who sail the most get offered upgrades first. I have been on Explorer and it is a great ship. You will enjoy the Royal Promenade and the ice rink.
__________________
Freedom of the Seas Dec 11
Allure of the Seas: Jan 11
Voyager of the Seas: May 09
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99



Go Reds
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old August 1st, 2010, 05:44 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,621
Default

Even though it may appear so, there really is no difference between what they used to do and what they do now. The only real difference is no discounts after final payment - that is the only change. It's risky but a lot of people are now saying they will wait until after final payment to see what sales there are. Now if you live close to a port this may work but for those of us and my clients, who have to fly it's not necessarily a good risk.

One should only book at what one is comfortable paying. After that, any discounts are gravy.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:09 PM
Dave Beers's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
One should only book at what one is comfortable paying. After that, any discounts are gravy.
That is certainly my outlook when I book a cruise. The price I agree to when I make the booking is what I expect to pay come final payment day. Cabin location and category is important to me so I will not chance it by waiting to the last minute and having to take what is left.
__________________
Dave
Forum Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old August 1st, 2010, 09:22 PM
Mike M's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: You're Looking At Me
Posts: 23,555
Default

Also remember that the vast majority of insurance policies DO NOT cover you for "I decided not to go."

You must have a valid medical reason, death of immediate family member or traveling companion, or, on some policies, the loss of job.

There are cancel for any reason policies but they are more expensive.

Read your policy and find out exactly what it covers and what can be a valid reason to cancel.

Take care,
Mike
__________________
Cruisemates Community Leader/Moderator

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 09:03 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Default My Experience....

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1 View Post
Amy1972, don't worry your travel agent and you both can check prices from now until you sail. That being said, if the price goes down, and you haven't paid your remaining full pmt, you will be able to get a lower price for the cabin you are in. Depending on how the cruise sells out, will determine if u get an upgrade. I will tell u this; Royal Caribbean normally upgrades their Crown and Anchor loyalty members and Diamond members first. Same as frequent flier program; those who sail the most get offered upgrades first. I have been on Explorer and it is a great ship. You will enjoy the Royal Promenade and the ice rink.

Wait a minute. Let me tell you my experience with getting the lower price and what I am going through now. My cruise doesn't sail until June 2011, and I have only made 1 payment so far. I booked early to get the best cabin. 3 weeks later, RCCL sent out an email saying they were now offering $125 savings on my cruise. This is my third cruise, and I am a loyalty member. When I called to get this, they said it is only for new bookings, and they will not honor it for me. In addition, they said if I cancel my cruise and rebook it, I will not get the discount because they are monitoring this (it even stated so in their terms and conditions). I was on the phone with several different departments for over an hour and I still do not have the credit. I have a complaint filed with the BBB and the Attorney General's office. I received one response through the BBB from RCCL arguing with me and saying that they will still not honor the lower price.

I have all the emails from this. If anyone would like to see them, please let me know. My husband and I had one cruise picked out for every year for the next 3 years. I will now take that business elsewhere. I always stood by RCCL, but they will not do the same in return. Not even for a someone in their Crown and Anchor Program. So instead of giving me the $125 credit, they will lose the $10,000 in business from me over the next few years.

Buyer beware.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:03 AM
blueliner's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeriePl View Post
Wait a minute. Let me tell you my experience with getting the lower price and what I am going through now. My cruise doesn't sail until June 2011, and I have only made 1 payment so far. I booked early to get the best cabin. 3 weeks later, RCCL sent out an email saying they were now offering $125 savings on my cruise. This is my third cruise, and I am a loyalty member. When I called to get this, they said it is only for new bookings, and they will not honor it for me. In addition, they said if I cancel my cruise and rebook it, I will not get the discount because they are monitoring this (it even stated so in their terms and conditions). I was on the phone with several different departments for over an hour and I still do not have the credit. I have a complaint filed with the BBB and the Attorney General's office. I received one response through the BBB from RCCL arguing with me and saying that they will still not honor the lower price.

I have all the emails from this. If anyone would like to see them, please let me know. My husband and I had one cruise picked out for every year for the next 3 years. I will now take that business elsewhere. I always stood by RCCL, but they will not do the same in return. Not even for a someone in their Crown and Anchor Program. So instead of giving me the $125 credit, they will lose the $10,000 in business from me over the next few years.

Buyer beware.
There is a difference between a price drop, and a sale. When RCI puts on a "sale" like the Wow Sale, it is aimed at getting new bookings in fast for the period of the sale. A price drop affects all the cabins and isn't for a set period of time, and that is why when the cruiseline makes a general price drop, usually because that particular sailing hasn't sold fast enough, you can call and get that price drop for your booking (as long as you haven't made final payment and their new price drop policy kicks in). Many companies run sales to gain new customers, and don't give those savings to existing customers. I just saw my cell phone company is offering like 1 free month to new customers, but as an existing customer, I don't get the savings. That's just the reality of business.
__________________
Scott

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:39 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 388
Default

I just booked a May 2011 cruise on Oasis; price dropped three weeks after booking; called my agent and she price adjusted down the new fare. Basically, if the price dips further after final payment, you get that amount as onboard credit instead of cash back. But here's the trick, if for whatever reason you don't use all your onboard credit by the end of the cruise, you can go to the Guest Relations Desk and they will pay you CASH for the left over amount. We had this happen to us in February of this year and got money back CASH. So honestly, the policy really hasn't changed all that much from before.

As for the upgrade question earlier, 99% of their ships sail full each week around the world. The likelihood of a non-Diamond Plus member getting an upgrade is like zero. I've got 37 cruise credits and was the 4th highest sailing member on my last cruise and was still not offered the upgrade as the two cabins they did have left for upgrades went to couples with over 100+ cruise credits. Based on my history, their's always a handful of these 100+ cruise credit people on every sailing; so I've reserved myself to not get an upgrade until after I break the 100 mark...haha.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
amyd1972's Avatar
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: somewhere in the USA
Posts: 27
Default thanks

Thanks for the information everyone. I have no intentions of cancelling out on this cruise regardless of what happens with the price but I think in the future I would definitely wait to book for the lower price. A co-worker is going in 2 weeks and said she just booked for her family 6 weeks ago. It just seems like this policy is only going to discourage early booking and you'd think the cruise lines would prefer early bookers wouldn't you? Oh well, whatever.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 11:27 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner View Post
There is a difference between a price drop, and a sale. When RCI puts on a "sale" like the Wow Sale, it is aimed at getting new bookings in fast for the period of the sale. A price drop affects all the cabins and isn't for a set period of time, and that is why when the cruiseline makes a general price drop, usually because that particular sailing hasn't sold fast enough, you can call and get that price drop for your booking (as long as you haven't made final payment and their new price drop policy kicks in). Many companies run sales to gain new customers, and don't give those savings to existing customers. I just saw my cell phone company is offering like 1 free month to new customers, but as an existing customer, I don't get the savings. That's just the reality of business.
Thanks for this response. Maybe I should have just started a different thread with this. Sorry about that! I was just stating my experience with RCCL, and this was the worst customer service experience I have ever had with a company. The price of my cruise has not dropped yet, and what I am referring to was not a "sale". It is not the WOW sale, although I was offered this as well, but when I read the terms and conditions, I saw that this would not apply to old bookings. What I am speaking about is the savings certificates that RCCL offers to their LOYAL customers. I am a loyal customer and belong to the Crown and Anchor. When I booked my cruise, they said the Certified Vacation Planner told me that there would be no savings certificates available for this cruise. 3 weeks later, I receive an email with the certificates that would apply to my cruise. However, they will not honor the savings certificate for me. The reason that they are telling me that they can not give me the $125 off my cruise is because I also used a $500.00 gift certificate that I purchased, and they are telling me that I will lose the gift certificate if I cancel my cruise and rebook it. Just my opionion, but this is bad business. Why would they not just credit my rebook for the $500.00 certificate? I'm not asking them to give me something for nothing. They offered the certificates, but will not honor them for me because I used a gift certificate? Again, it doesn't make sense to me, the little person that spent a hard earned $5000.00 ($5020.69 to be exact) booking just this cruise alone. Seems to me that the measly $125 wouldn't be a big deal to RCCL to keep a loyal customer happy. Apparently, they can care less, and to me, this shows how thoughtless this big business can be. Maybe they don't care about losing my revenue, but I've spoken to 2 other cruise lines that do, and I will book future cruises with them.

Just my opinion. I appreciate this board, and had I read some of the reviews and other's experiences, I may have taken longer and investigated RCCLs business practices before booking my cruise.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:11 PM
blueliner's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyd1972 View Post
Thanks for the information everyone. I have no intentions of cancelling out on this cruise regardless of what happens with the price but I think in the future I would definitely wait to book for the lower price. A co-worker is going in 2 weeks and said she just booked for her family 6 weeks ago. It just seems like this policy is only going to discourage early booking and you'd think the cruise lines would prefer early bookers wouldn't you? Oh well, whatever.
I think you are assuming that cruise prices will always drop, and that is certainly not the case. Booking early is still the best option because you get the best cabin options and I believe the best price. If the price goes up (and they do go up too) you get to keep your original low price, and if it goes down before final payment, you get the price drop. There is no guarantee that the later you wait to book, the lower the price. Price drops after final payment are not certain and are not that common.
__________________
Scott

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
Dave Beers's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyd1972 View Post
I think in the future I would definitely wait to book for the lower price.
Don't assume cruise prices will always decrease as the cruise date approaches. Prices can increase if demand is high enough. As does airlines, cruise lines use yield management programs to set prices as high as they can and still fill the ship.

An important factor to many of us is cabin selection, which will always be better if you book early. The suites and cheapest cabins usually are the first to be reserved when a cruise opens for bookings. If you wait too long you might find that the only cabins available are in a couple categories, and in less-than-desirable locations.
__________________
Dave
Forum Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 12:30 PM
blueliner's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeriePl View Post
Thanks for this response. Maybe I should have just started a different thread with this. Sorry about that! I was just stating my experience with RCCL, and this was the worst customer service experience I have ever had with a company. The price of my cruise has not dropped yet, and what I am referring to was not a "sale". It is not the WOW sale, although I was offered this as well, but when I read the terms and conditions, I saw that this would not apply to old bookings. What I am speaking about is the savings certificates that RCCL offers to their LOYAL customers. I am a loyal customer and belong to the Crown and Anchor. When I booked my cruise, they said the Certified Vacation Planner told me that there would be no savings certificates available for this cruise. 3 weeks later, I receive an email with the certificates that would apply to my cruise. However, they will not honor the savings certificate for me. The reason that they are telling me that they can not give me the $125 off my cruise is because I also used a $500.00 gift certificate that I purchased, and they are telling me that I will lose the gift certificate if I cancel my cruise and rebook it. Just my opionion, but this is bad business. Why would they not just credit my rebook for the $500.00 certificate? I'm not asking them to give me something for nothing. They offered the certificates, but will not honor them for me because I used a gift certificate? Again, it doesn't make sense to me, the little person that spent a hard earned $5000.00 ($5020.69 to be exact) booking just this cruise alone. Seems to me that the measly $125 wouldn't be a big deal to RCCL to keep a loyal customer happy. Apparently, they can care less, and to me, this shows how thoughtless this big business can be. Maybe they don't care about losing my revenue, but I've spoken to 2 other cruise lines that do, and I will book future cruises with them.

Just my opinion. I appreciate this board, and had I read some of the reviews and other's experiences, I may have taken longer and investigated RCCLs business practices before booking my cruise.
Did the gift certificate have a savings or OBC attached to it? It's RCI policy that they give you either the OBC option, or the savings certificate now. The savings certificates are not combinable with other money saving vehicles like OBC certificates. That has been an RCI policy for a while now. You probably would've gotten everything you wanted back when the economy was doing well and the cruiselines filled their ships at premium prices, but now-a-days, not going to happen.

RCI and other cruiselines are coming out of a pretty tough economic recession that really hurt their business. That combined with the ever fluctuating fuel costs and you can understand why they implement these policies. RCI and others could not continue to operate at a loss. While it may just be $125 to you, if they changed their policy for you, they would have to do it across the board and that could mean millions of dollars to them. Sorry you got bad advice from your vacation planner, try using a good cruise travel agent next time. It's not bad customer service for a company to stick to it's policy.
__________________
Scott

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 02:10 PM
amyd1972's Avatar
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: somewhere in the USA
Posts: 27
Default

Dave and Scott, thanks for your input! I didn't realize the prices could go up too.
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Dave Beers's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1,448
Default

Of course now that I mentioned cruise fares can increase, yours will drop like a rock.
__________________
Dave
Forum Moderator
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:55 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,621
Default

RCL stopped allowing multiple credit, etc a year ago. It doesn't matter who you complain to it is their company policy and you won't win. You have a choice - A or B or C - whichever is best for you - you decide.

Yes prices go up more frequently than they go down. Being a C&A member does not give you some of the special privledges some people think they should. We are D+ and I am a TA. I am still only entitled to what everyone else is entitled to.

General comment - as anyone can see by my signature I am no longer much of a fan of RCL. However I fail to understand why people who book with them think that they, or any other cruise company, owe they more - you book at a price you can afford - if you get a discount somewhere along they line well and good but they don't OWE you.

This is a business where prices flucuate almost weekly, just as the gas you buy for your vehicle and the groceries you buy for your family. It's business.

If you are a Plat. D or D+ there is a discount for booking a balcony but if you have an OBC for another reason (from RCL) you get to chose, you don't get it all.

For those who think RCL or any other cruise line OWES you because they have a sale and you feel they should then adjust your price, why?

It just doesn't make sense to me the demands that people think they can make on a business they are dealing with.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 03:58 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMember View Post
I just booked a May 2011 cruise on Oasis; price dropped three weeks after booking; called my agent and she price adjusted down the new fare. Basically, if the price dips further after final payment, you get that amount as onboard credit instead of cash back. But here's the trick, if for whatever reason you don't use all your onboard credit by the end of the cruise, you can go to the Guest Relations Desk and they will pay you CASH for the left over amount. We had this happen to us in February of this year and got money back CASH. So honestly, the policy really hasn't changed all that much from before.

If you booked after May 17 there are no price reductions after final payment - no OBC - nada.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 04:05 PM
amyd1972's Avatar
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: somewhere in the USA
Posts: 27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
RCL stopped allowing multiple credit, etc a year ago. It doesn't matter who you complain to it is their company policy and you won't win. You have a choice - A or B or C - whichever is best for you - you decide.


General comment - as anyone can see by my signature I am no longer much of a fan of RCL. However I fail to understand why people who book with them think that they, or any other cruise company, owe they more - you book at a price you can afford - if you get a discount somewhere along they line well and good but they don't OWE you.

This is a business where prices flucuate almost weekly, just as the gas you buy for your vehicle and the groceries you buy for your family. It's business.

If you are a Plat. D or D+ there is a discount for booking a balcony but if you have an OBC for another reason (from RCL) you get to chose, you don't get it all.

For those who think RCL or any other cruise line OWES you because they have a sale and you feel they should then adjust your price, why?

It just doesn't make sense to me the demands that people think they can make on a business they are dealing with.
Alright, Felix now don't get yourself all worked up... just a friendly discussion on a message board. Happy cruising..
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 04:06 PM
blueliner's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 1,176
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
If you booked after May 17 there are no price reductions after final payment - no OBC - nada.
If I recall correctly, you do get an OBC if the price drop is within 2 days of making final payment.
__________________
Scott

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 05:06 PM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Default

Wow. Ok. I didn't realize that my opinion was going to cause such a heated discussion.

In my case, and again, this is only my opinion, mine was a gift certificate I purchased. It was not a credit or a sale option. It was a gift certificate. It said nothing whatsoever about not being able to use the gift certificate with a savings certificate, which is why I asked for the savings certificate to be applied to my reservation.

In no way am I trying to demand anything from RCCL. I was never told the gift cert couldn't be combined with any other offer, nor did it state that. However, I do not know much about the certificate other than that because I had to send it in to them. It was not for an OBC, it was simply a gift certificate. In addition, I was told by my Certified Vacation Planner that there were going to be no savings certificates offered for this particular cruise. I specifically asked because what got me looking into this cruise was the email I received that did have savings certificates...I just happened to pick a cruise that wasn't offering a savings at the time. 3 weeks later, however, they added this savings certificate to the current offers, which is why I asked for the credit.

In no way do I feel I am entitled to anything that anyone else isn't entitled to. If one person is permitted to use the savings certificate, provided they are within the guidelines, then everyone should be able to use it. Why offer it if it can't be used by everyone? The offer didn't say anything about not being able to use multiple credits, but it does say not good if you already used an OBC. I did not. I used a gift certificate, which is why I am questioning RCCL.

I know that I won't get the $125 savings certificate credit. I simply wanted other people to know what happened to me. I loved cruising on RCCL. I loved every ship I was on and the service was wonderful on the ship. However, I have had nothing but bad experiences with the pre cruise part...the booking, getting questions answered without being transferred to several different departments with long waits for each, and finally, with this certificate, no one can seem to give me a logical reason why I can't use it. The only answer I got is that I can use it if I cancel my cruise and rebook, but when I do, then they will keep my gift certificate as they say that it can't be transferred to another reservation. I don't know if this is the case because again, I do not have the certificate any longer. And because it is a $500 gift certificate it wouldn't make sense for me to lose that.

In hindsight, and I guess as a caution to everyone reading this, there is a lot of fine print on all these offers and certificates, read it all. It's hard to understand it all, and I guess you have to live and learn by mistakes, wether they are your own, or by what employees of the company tell you. However, for a company that is supposed to pride themselves on great customer service, the agent I worked with misled me (maybe so she could get a bigger commission??? I don't know). I think that a company should stand by what their employees do.

I work hard for my money, as I'm sure everyone does, so I do feel that everyone is entitled to a fair shake from big companies. Everyone. Not just me and not just because I am a crown and anchor member. Everyone. I'm not trying to get something for nothing. I'm just trying to get what should have been rightfully mine if I wasn't misled. That's all. If I am wrong about my situation, then I would apologize to RCCL. Never once have they apologized for providing me with incorrect information.

So that's my opinion. In no way was this meant to upset anyone. I just wanted everyone to know what happened to me so that it may prevent it from happening to them.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner View Post
If I recall correctly, you do get an OBC if the price drop is within 2 days of making final payment.

Only if you booked after final payment.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old August 2nd, 2010, 05:19 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValeriePl View Post
Wow. Ok. I didn't realize that my opinion was going to cause such a heated discussion.

In my case, and again, this is only my opinion, mine was a gift certificate I purchased. It was not a credit or a sale option. It was a gift certificate. It said nothing whatsoever about not being able to use the gift certificate with a savings certificate, which is why I asked for the savings certificate to be applied to my reservation.

As this was as gift certificate to yourself to be applied against the cost of the cruise - correct? - then they should honour their own savings certificate for you. Did they apply it wrongly? In this case I would certainly go higher up. If you paid for the gift certificate to yourself then RCL gave you nothing.


In no way am I trying to demand anything from RCCL. I was never told the gift cert couldn't be combined with any other offer, nor did it state that. However, I do not know much about the certificate other than that because I had to send it in to them. It was not for an OBC, it was simply a gift certificate. In addition, I was told by my Certified Vacation Planner that there were going to be no savings certificates offered for this particular cruise. I specifically asked because what got me looking into this cruise was the email I received that did have savings certificates...I just happened to pick a cruise that wasn't offering a savings at the time. 3 weeks later, however, they added this savings certificate to the current offers, which is why I asked for the credit.

I really don't pay attention to saving certificates until they actually come out. The call center people have no idea what ship or sailing they are going to be on until the actually come out.

In no way do I feel I am entitled to anything that anyone else isn't entitled to. If one person is permitted to use the savings certificate, provided they are within the guidelines, then everyone should be able to use it. Why offer it if it can't be used by everyone? The offer didn't say anything about not being able to use multiple credits, but it does say not good if you already used an OBC. I did not. I used a gift certificate, which is why I am questioning RCCL.

JUst to answer this question, they offer it to everyone because it serves as an inticement to book a cruise. They are sent to everyone who is at that level of C&A. The qualifiers are on the certificates themselves.

I know that I won't get the $125 savings certificate credit. I simply wanted other people to know what happened to me. I loved cruising on RCCL. I loved every ship I was on and the service was wonderful on the ship. However, I have had nothing but bad experiences with the pre cruise part...the booking, getting questions answered without being transferred to several different departments with long waits for each, and finally, with this certificate, no one can seem to give me a logical reason why I can't use it. The only answer I got is that I can use it if I cancel my cruise and rebook, but when I do, then they will keep my gift certificate as they say that it can't be transferred to another reservation. I don't know if this is the case because again, I do not have the certificate any longer. And because it is a $500 gift certificate it wouldn't make sense for me to lose that.

In hindsight, and I guess as a caution to everyone reading this, there is a lot of fine print on all these offers and certificates, read it all. It's hard to understand it all, and I guess you have to live and learn by mistakes, wether they are your own, or by what employees of the company tell you. However, for a company that is supposed to pride themselves on great customer service, the agent I worked with misled me (maybe so she could get a bigger commission??? I don't know). I think that a company should stand by what their employees do.

I assume you are dealing with RCL directly and not a TA? I would advise you to transfer to a TA who can go to bat for you, failing that I would call them again and get someone else. RCL is notorious for "call again until you get someone who knows what they are talking about."

I work hard for my money, as I'm sure everyone does, so I do feel that everyone is entitled to a fair shake from big companies. Everyone. Not just me and not just because I am a crown and anchor member. Everyone. I'm not trying to get something for nothing. I'm just trying to get what should have been rightfully mine if I wasn't misled. That's all. If I am wrong about my situation, then I would apologize to RCCL. Never once have they apologized for providing me with incorrect information.

So that's my opinion. In no way was this meant to upset anyone. I just wanted everyone to know what happened to me so that it may prevent it from happening to them.

Certainly in your case, it sounds like RCL has no idea of what they are doing. Call them again. (and again and again.)
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old August 12th, 2010, 11:10 AM
Junior Member
Beginner
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Default Update

Just in case anyone is interested....After what felt like a bizillion more calls to RCCL, they are seeing that there is some glitch in their system. My $500.00 gift certificate is only showing up as $420.00 in the system. They do acknowledge there is a glitch, and say that they are working to fix it. This could be why there is so much trouble with them saying I will lose my gift certificate if I cancel and rebook my cruise. So they say they are trying to get it straightened out and I should have some answers soon.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:41 PM
amyd1972's Avatar
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: somewhere in the USA
Posts: 27
Default

good for you. hope it works out!!!
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old August 13th, 2010, 07:51 AM
amyd1972's Avatar
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: somewhere in the USA
Posts: 27
Default

I did get an email from RCI that stated that I could apply for an onboard credit in the amount of the difference if my cruise price does drop before the final payment period. However, the price actually went up recently about $100. I wonder if that means its selling good..
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old August 13th, 2010, 09:15 AM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,621
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyd1972 View Post
I did get an email from RCI that stated that I could apply for an onboard credit in the amount of the difference if my cruise price does drop before the final payment period. However, the price actually went up recently about $100. I wonder if that means its selling good..

Yes, that means it is selling however that also doesn't mean too much anyway. You still have to get through the Christmas season and that's another time that people get that "feel good" and want to book a cruise.

btw - don't lose the email you received. Mind you, you if you see the price go down before you're final payment you can always cancel and rebook. You won't get the same cabin but that may not be important to you. Also keep an eye on the price of the JR you were referring to. If that comes down you can also transfer youself to that one.

Right now, everything is a crap shoot. The economy is once more on hold or going down and this could change peoples plans once again.

I just re-read your email - if your price drops before final payment you can have them reduce the price of your cruise - no need for an onboard credit as you are able to cancel and rebook at the lower price anyway.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old August 13th, 2010, 12:37 PM
amyd1972's Avatar
Junior Member
Passenger
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: somewhere in the USA
Posts: 27
Default

If I cancelled and rebooked won't I lose the trip insurance that I bought though?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
adjusted, bool, caribbean, certificates, cruise, drops, early, final, multiple, payment, price, prices, rccl, redeem, royal, savings

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do you know if the price drops? Chrissy Royal Caribbean International 2 January 24th, 2004 11:50 PM
Price drops TampaMike Carnival Cruise Lines 4 September 22nd, 2003 12:22 AM
Price drops notnowhoney Carnival Cruise Lines 21 September 19th, 2003 05:11 PM
price drops lisam Ask CruiseMates Staff 6 March 17th, 2003 08:41 PM
price drops ruggy35 Royal Caribbean International 7 October 2nd, 2002 09:16 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:47 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1