Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Just got off Oasis

What a ship! Oasis was beautiful! Everything I read on the posts about the ship were true...you need to experience it yourself to really appreciate it. There were a few kinks (no aqua shows at all because of some technical difficulties with the platform) but they were very apologetic and tried to make up for it with other events during the week. The ship was really easy to get around...even as large as it is. It's actually easier than some of the other ships we've been on. The different restaurants were great...we never had dinner in the main dining room.

Since we wanted to experience this ship and all the new things it had to offer, the four of us got a Crown Loft Suite and it was really nice! There were some (very) minor things we would have liked better...a bit more storage, drawers in the bathrooms that slid out rather than just storage cubbies, but all in all, we're really happy we got that suite!

Top it off with the best Cruise Director we've ever had. Richard Spacey was a riot and a lot of fun!

It was an amazing week!

Adventure-12/03 S.Carib;Explorer-12/04 W.Carib;Jewel-12/05 W.Carib;Serenade-7/06 Alaska;Rhapsody-12/06 E.Carib;Adventure-12/07 S.Carib;Radiance-10/08 Pan.Canal;Splendour-8/09 Greece;Oasis-8/10 W.Carib;Navigator-12/10 W. Carib;Liberty-2/11 W.Carib;Mariner-6/11 Med.;Brilliance-2/13 E.Carib.
Sponsored Links
Old August 15th, 2010, 12:47 PM
First Mate

Would recommend eating at 150 Central Park? I understand it's like a $75 cover per person; seems very expensive given all the other food options on the ship. I'm sailing on Allure in Feb 2011 and Oasis on May 2011; any food reservation recommendations would be great to hear?

Also, is the seafood shack free?
Old August 15th, 2010, 01:08 PM
First Mate

We are finally getting close to our Oasis cruise just over a month to go (have had her booked for two years). Was wondering about a few things, do you need to pre-book the shows or are there seats available same day. We usually like to relax and don't like to plan to much ahead of time because we don't know how tired we will be or if we will even be in the mood to sit through a show, so we don't want to pre-book to much. What restaurants did you like best? How was boarding, did it take long? What was your favorite place to hang out? We are getting excited and since this ship is so totally different than any of the others its like cruising for the first time again and don't know exactly what to expect. Ant details you could provide would be great.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old August 15th, 2010, 03:27 PM
Admiral

Addicted2, I absolutely recommend getting the tickets to all the shows. The line for those without tickets can get long, although everyone usually was able to enter. With the ticket, there is no line -- you simply walk in. Print out the schedule, circle a time for each of the shows, and request the tickets. If you choose to deviate, that is not an issue, but if you wish to go, it is just so much easier!

Regarding where to hang out, it depends on what you're looking for. For adults, during the day, the Solarium can't be beat! It's beautiful, quiet, seating areas that are open-air, but shaded or in the sun for tanning, pool, jacuzzis. In the evening, I liked the Rising Tide Bar and the Piano bar. The Globe and Atlas (I think that's what it was called) has live music each evening, and was always a fun place.

We sailed on Oasis of the Seas for 2 weeks in April. Loved it, loved it, loved it!
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 15th, 2010, 05:05 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMember View Post
Would recommend eating at 150 Central Park? I understand it's like a $75 cover per person; seems very expensive given all the other food options on the ship. I'm sailing on Allure in Feb 2011 and Oasis on May 2011; any food reservation recommendations would be great to hear?

150 is very good but not $75. It is $35. Seafood Shack is not free.
Old August 15th, 2010, 07:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

What is the price tag on the Seafood Shack?

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Admiral

We sailed on the Oasis last april and we had a marvelous cruise. As far as I am concerned it's the best ship out there.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 15th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
What is the price tag on the Seafood Shack?
Donna, I didn't eat there, but it seems like it was $10 or so.
Mariner of the Seas

HAL Statendam Alaska Cruise Tour - 09/09/12; Disney Magic - 12/01/12; Allure of the Seas - 05/26/13
Old August 16th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Admiral

Thanks Darlene,
That isn't much...Hey, I thought you were thinking about Allure next Oct???

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Admiral

Donna, the Allure is going to have to wait. At this time I have a family ski trip scheduled for spring break, 4 cruises booked, with a side trip for the family to Disney World. I start hyperventilating when I think about the costs, but I will manage, somehow!
Mariner of the Seas

Old August 16th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Wow Darlene,
How nice for you...Wonderful that you can take the time to travel, someday I hope to be able to do the same....Enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 16th, 2010, 11:54 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Donna, this link is from RCI website with prices for Sea Shack
Seafood Shack - Royal Caribbean International
price is $7.95 for lunch $9.95 for dinner

If anyone is sailing on Allure; the Sea Shack is being replaced by Rita's Cantina; a mexican resturaunt
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old August 16th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Admiral

Thanks AF :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 17th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Thank you AF.

Since we are cruising on the Allure in Jan. , we can certainly use this info.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old August 17th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Allure is going to have many updates over oasis - it will be an even more exciting ship - but they do plan to "catch up" by getting all the Allure nehancements on Oasis by March.

Allure will have the new 3-D movie theater, plus all the Dreamworks characters. It will have new shows as well, including "Chicago" which I think I would rtather see than Hairspray.
Not to be left behind, Freedom and Liberty of the Seas will be getting outdoor movie screens installed in the pool areas of the top decks for movies under the stars.

Changes in the culinary offerings are also in store for Allure when she debuts. The Boardwalk will feature a The Boardwalk Dog House - serving up an array of hot dogs at no charge. Guests can choose from traditional hot dogs, wieners, brats, sausages and other linked meats coming on a split long bun with a variety of toppings. The Dog House will be situated where the donut shop is located on Oasis of the Seas.

Another change coming to the Boardwalk on Allure will be the replacement of the Seafood Shack with Rita's Cantina offering Mexican fare such as shrimp, ceviche, tostadas and warm tortilla chips with salsa and fiesta guacamole. Entrées will include fajitas, fish tacos and chipotle flautas. Rita's also will offer the widest selection of margaritas at sea featuring authentic and all-original recipes with an extensive selection of quality tequilas to be served on the rocks or foo-foo fruit-flavored frozen drinks.

For nighttime entertainment, Rita Cantina's "Fiesta Zone" will be showing live guitar music for drinks and dancing.

Another fun food activity that has been started on Oasis and is soon to be rolled out to all four ships is the Chocolate Buffet Breakfast. The first one was just held on Oasis of the Seas and over 2000 people showed up. On the menu one can begin with either hot chocolate or a chocolate milkshake, or both. You move on the chocolate pastries such as eclairs, chocolate croissants and of course, donuts. For the main entree you can choose from the carmelized banana waffles or pancakes with a chocolate syrup, among other options.

Also new to Allure of the Seas will be a Guess Boutique where guests can choose from a wide selection of trendy and bold Guess handbags, wallets, watches, shoes, jewelry, eyewear and perfumes.

Old August 17th, 2010, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Allure is going to have many updates....
. The Boardwalk will feature a The Boardwalk Dog House - serving up an array of hot dogs at no charge. Guests can choose from traditional hot dogs, wieners, brats, sausages and other linked meats coming on a split long bun with a variety of toppings. The Dog House will be situated where the donut shop is located on Oasis of the Seas.

That feature will make me gain a few pounds.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old August 22nd, 2010, 05:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Do the outdoor movies have the sound blaring for all to hear or do you have to wear some type of headphone? One of the best parts of my cruise experience is NOT watching TV at all the whole time !
Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMember View Post

Diamond...we didn't eat at 150 Central Park because the selections for the tasting menu didn't match with some of our groups eating preferences. Also...150 Central Park is only $35 cover. It's the Chef's Table that is $75. That's the special chef's table in the upstairs of the Concierge Club.
Seafood Shack, as already noted is $7.95 per person cover which is for a soup or appie, main entree and dessert.
Recommend Solarium Bistro for any meal. Breakfast and Lunch are complementary and nice selection. Dinner was only $15 cover but really good. I recommend the bison filet mignon. Really tasty, much lighter than beef. We also enjoyed Giovanni's Table, Izumi (sushi) and Chops. Chops has revised their menu so much more to choose from.

Adventure-12/03 S.Carib;Explorer-12/04 W.Carib;Jewel-12/05 W.Carib;Serenade-7/06 Alaska;Rhapsody-12/06 E.Carib;Adventure-12/07 S.Carib;Radiance-10/08 Pan.Canal;Splendour-8/09 Greece;Oasis-8/10 W.Carib;Navigator-12/10 W. Carib;Liberty-2/11 W.Carib;Mariner-6/11 Med.;Brilliance-2/13 E.Carib.
Old August 22nd, 2010, 08:26 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2 View Post
We are finally getting close to our Oasis cruise just over a month to go (have had her booked for two years). Was wondering about a few things, do you need to pre-book the shows or are there seats available same day. We usually like to relax and don't like to plan to much ahead of time because we don't know how tired we will be or if we will even be in the mood to sit through a show, so we don't want to pre-book to much. What restaurants did you like best? How was boarding, did it take long? What was your favorite place to hang out? We are getting excited and since this ship is so totally different than any of the others its like cruising for the first time again and don't know exactly what to expect. Ant details you could provide would be great.

Addicted...As previously noted...yes it's best to pre-book your shows. Because we knew we weren't going to eat in the main dining room, that gave us a little flexibility with being able to book restaurants and shows. The shows don't play all week so you do need to make some decisions ahead of sailing. It's true...the line to get tix at the door for the show can get long. It's not worth being possibly disappointed if you can't get in to see a show you really want to see. Hairspray was fantastic!

As for places to hang out...there are many. It depends on if you want sun (one of the pool areas or sun decks), shade (the Solarium is a 2-deck area that is fantastic), a bar...too many to note (I think there are actually 24 to choose from!). While the ship is huge, it's very easy to get around.

Boarding was incredible. They built the new terminal to be able to handle the ship and they did an amazing job. I think there are something like 91 agent stations around a large horseshoe shaped area. For the 4 of us to check in, get our accounts set up, get our pics taken for our seapass card (they do that right there are the checkin desk) and walk onto the ship...it was maybe 15 minutes - tops! You won't believe how easy it is!

Enjoy!

Old August 23rd, 2010, 01:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWolsten View Post
Do the outdoor movies have the sound blaring for all to hear or do you have to wear some type of headphone? One of the best parts of my cruise experience is NOT watching TV at all the whole time !
Yes, the sound is blaring for all to hear, unfortunately. A major pet peeve of mine...
Old August 24th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Admiral

I will be on Allure in Jan and can't wait to see all the neat upgrades.

Go Reds
Old August 24th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Hmmmm: I may have to rethink booking Oasis or Allure. With all these positive reports I'll just have to try it.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Mike, I haven't seen too many bad reports on Oasis; most of the reviews on the different chat boards are mostly positive. It's like being on a ship; at a carnival, and small city; without ever having to leave the ship. I hear a lot of people don't care much about shore excursions; they just stay on the ship.

Go Reds
Old August 31st, 2010, 12:50 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2 View Post
Hi there,
We just came of the OASIS on a week CRUISE and it was FANTASTIC. My wife did pre book all the shows. We chose "MY TIME" DINNING which worked out fine for us, but you can still reserve a seating during the hours of 11am and 3 pm @ the customer service desk. We ate in the Main dinning room most nights and upstairs on the top floor in the Wind Jammer.If you can chose a waiters table ask for ASHWIN, he was AMAZING and also assisted us with a table in the WindJammer on a morning which can be a bit difficult to get a table in. The Boarding was fantastic. We arrived by LIMO @ 130pm and was on the ship before 2. There is a place called THE PUB on deck 5 where they had a guy JIMMY playing a guitar and your requested songs.... Great hanging spot to people watch etc.
You are going to LOVE the ship. IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE HOLIDAY... My two daughters (6&9) just had a blast.
Old September 2nd, 2010, 04:54 PM
Admiral

Hodgy, thanks for the review; can't wait to sail Allure; same big ship as yours.

Go Reds
Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:19 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1 View Post
. I hear a lot of people don't care much about shore excursions; they just stay on the ship.
It's not that people don't care for the excursions. The Oasis has so many atractions on board and you just don't want to leave.

We have done ten Caribbean cruises, so we have been to most of those ports, and we really enjoy the activities on the ship. So when we cruise on the Allure we won't go ashore in all the ports.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:35 PM
Familiar Face

Do you need tickets to the shows? I thought the show were included? Of course I have not been on a cruise for 20 years, but they used to be included.
2010 Explorer of the Seas
1990 Costa Riviera
1988 Carnival Holiday

Tom's Toys
Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:45 AM
Admiral

Hi Captain,
The tickets are free of charge, you just have to go pick up some for when you want to go. They can't fit that many people in at once, so they offer shows at different times/days, so everyone can see it. You can send one person to pick up tickets for your whole group.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 3rd, 2010, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Hmmmm: I may have to rethink booking Oasis or Allure. With all these positive reports I'll just have to try it.

Take care,
Mike
. You have to try it. We just loved the Oasis and are very excited about doing the Allure. I would do it sooner, but I have a trip to Portugal this month and and a trip to South Carolina/ Florida in november.

When you do go on the Oasis or the Allure, make sure that you do the zip-line...

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Old September 3rd, 2010, 12:43 PM
Admiral

how do u sign up for the zipline and is it always crowded?

Go Reds