Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 26th, 2010, 02:49 AM
Familiar Face

Default Explorer of the Seas, Promenade Stateroom, What deck?

Ahoy,

We just booked our first cruise in over 20 years. I think things have changed since then and we are just trying to catch up.

We booked a cabin on the Explorer of the Seas. One of the Promenade Staterooms. And we moved our room three times so far. From deck 8 to deck 7 and now we are on deck 6. What are the advantages of one vs the other? I see deck 8 books up first, followed by deck 7. Lots of cabins left on deck 6. Did we make a mistake. There is only one cabin left of deck 8, so if we want to switch back, we have to do it fast.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think the advantage of being on an upper deck is that you are closer to the pool deck, Windjammer, etc. I usually just take the stairs up a few decks, so its much easier to be higher. You will notice, you'll spend a decent amount of time there.

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 26th, 2010, 09:47 AM
Familiar Face

Thank you! We switched because we felt when looking out the window, we would get a better, close up view of the action in the mall. On deck 8, we thought we would be looking down too much and only seeing peoples heads.
Old August 26th, 2010, 10:40 AM
First Mate

Keep in mind Captain that the windows in the Promenade Cabins are not one directional. If your curtains are open, everyone on the Royal Promenade along with the cabin directly across the hall from you can see straight into your cabin. Most people who get these cabins end up keeping their shades drawn for 90% of the cruise for this reason.
Old August 26th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Familiar Face

I would also have suggested deck 8 first, mainly for the views down and privacy, but maybe a cabin on deck 7 is a better compromise between view, privacy and to feel a bit of the action below. On deck 6 I think you will get less privacy.

You can get a feeling of how high up it is and what you will be able to see by looking at these pictures from a cabin 3 decks above the promenade (equal to deck 8 on Explorer), but from a totally different ship. It's from the ferry between Sweden and Finland that started the "trend" with indoor promenades in the early 90's.

/Erik
Old August 26th, 2010, 06:01 PM
Familiar Face

Thank you all for your replies... I do appreciate it. And thank you Funnel for taking the time attaching the photos.

I have been giving it more thought and I think I am going to stay on deck 6. I think I will like being closer to the action and if I forget to close the blinds, I just hope I can put on a good show...

I am really looking forward to my first cruise in a long time.

Thanks again,

Captain...
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:52 PM
Passenger

I was on Deck 7 (near library) and it was perfect for me.

2 decks down to the Promenade, only 4 up to the Windjammer and Pool. Our Dining Room was on Deck 3.

I took the stairs most of the time.
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to schang42t

I had the same dilemma... I kept switching between the three until finally deciding on deck 6... I figured if you're going to be looking out, then might as well see their faces...

btw.. my coworker who had a promenade room on oasis said there was a perv with binoculars. so be weiry...
RCI Radiance of the Seas 2009

**ON MY WAY TO PLATINUM STATUS**
Old September 23rd, 2010, 08:56 PM
Passenger

Default We have booked FOS Promenade Cabin

We have 2 balcony cabins and one Promenade cabin booked for next summer on FOS. We booked deck 6 because of the Promenade cabin. We wanted to be able to have a nice view and some of the other decks put you up too high, in our opinion. We would like to have been over the Cafe Promenade but we are toward Sorrentos, I think. We are looking forward to it. What cabin did you book?
Old September 23rd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Familiar Face

We are on deck 6 midship. I think we are above a store near the motorcycle with the side car. Explorer of the Seas. About two away from the bar.
2010 Explorer of the Seas
1990 Costa Riviera
1988 Carnival Holiday

Tom's Toys