CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Buying a cruise in a different currency (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/376509-buying-cruise-different-currency.html)

7x57 August 29th, 2010 09:59 AM

Buying a cruise in a different currency

I'm looking at a 7 dayer in early 2012 on the Mariner.

For the lowest grade stateroom they want $479 vs. (Eur)347 = (443 when converted to $ at Fri exchange rate).

Anyone ever buy a cruise using a foreign currency? Will my debit card company tack on fees that will penalize me for selecting a foreign currency?

Kamloops Cruiser August 29th, 2010 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7x57 (Post 1313449)

For the lowest grade stateroom they want $479 vs. (Eur)347 = (443 when converted to $ at Fri exchange rate).

Anyone ever buy a cruise using a foreign currency? Will my debit card company tack on fees that will penalize me for selecting a foreign currency?

Probably . In canada we can buy cruises in US or Cdn dollars . The only problem I have with this the changes in exchange rate.

7x57 August 29th, 2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doopydozer (Post 1313457)
Probably . In canada we can buy cruises in US or Cdn dollars . The only problem I have with this the changes in exchange rate.

The exchange rate is fixed at the time of purchase. If you watch trends and react faster than the cruise line you should be able to save a few bucks (or euros, CNDs, GBP). What I mean is you have as much to gain by fluctuations in exchange rates as the cruise line does.

If you look at price changes at 18 months out I imagine most price tweaks are due to currency values. More so; I believe, than other market factors with the exception of fuel futures (and that would most likely affect all four accepted currency.

7x57 August 30th, 2010 10:05 AM

One bump. Kinda wish I put this post in a more general forum.

CM August 30th, 2010 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7x57 (Post 1313449)

I book mine in Canadian dollars since I live in Canada. I also have the option of booking in US dollars. I can't pay for mine with a debit card (my debit card only works by sliding it through a machine and then me entering a PIN).

I'd suggest checking with your bank to determine whether there will be fees. That way you are getting accurate information directly from the source.

7x57 August 30th, 2010 06:40 PM

I got the scoop from my bank. They get to pick the exchange from which to do the currency transaction (meaning that of the millions that they trade I will get stuck with the absolute highest transaction of that business day and they will take the arbitrage.) They then tack on a 2% foreign currency transaction fee. Friggin Banks!

It may still come out less expensive, but it will eat $20 in fees on a $1000 transaction and whatever the arbitrage eats.