Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2010, 09:59 AM
First Mate

Default Buying a cruise in a different currency

I'm looking at a 7 dayer in early 2012 on the Mariner.

For the lowest grade stateroom they want $479 vs. (Eur)347 = (443 when converted to $ at Fri exchange rate).

Anyone ever buy a cruise using a foreign currency? Will my debit card company tack on fees that will penalize me for selecting a foreign currency?
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post

For the lowest grade stateroom they want $479 vs. (Eur)347 = (443 when converted to $ at Fri exchange rate).

Anyone ever buy a cruise using a foreign currency? Will my debit card company tack on fees that will penalize me for selecting a foreign currency?
Probably . In canada we can buy cruises in US or Cdn dollars . The only problem I have with this the changes in exchange rate.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:30 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydozer View Post
Probably . In canada we can buy cruises in US or Cdn dollars . The only problem I have with this the changes in exchange rate.
The exchange rate is fixed at the time of purchase. If you watch trends and react faster than the cruise line you should be able to save a few bucks (or euros, CNDs, GBP). What I mean is you have as much to gain by fluctuations in exchange rates as the cruise line does.

If you look at price changes at 18 months out I imagine most price tweaks are due to currency values. More so; I believe, than other market factors with the exception of fuel futures (and that would most likely affect all four accepted currency.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:05 AM
First Mate

One bump. Kinda wish I put this post in a more general forum.
Old August 30th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7x57 View Post

I book mine in Canadian dollars since I live in Canada. I also have the option of booking in US dollars. I can't pay for mine with a debit card (my debit card only works by sliding it through a machine and then me entering a PIN).

I'd suggest checking with your bank to determine whether there will be fees. That way you are getting accurate information directly from the source.
Old August 30th, 2010, 06:40 PM
First Mate

I got the scoop from my bank. They get to pick the exchange from which to do the currency transaction (meaning that of the millions that they trade I will get stuck with the absolute highest transaction of that business day and they will take the arbitrage.) They then tack on a 2% foreign currency transaction fee. Friggin Banks!

It may still come out less expensive, but it will eat $20 in fees on a $1000 transaction and whatever the arbitrage eats.