Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 16th, 2010, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Default Official - only pesos accepted in Mexico

NEW PESO POLICY: Mexico announces new, peso-only policy - Travel Industry Today

It is now official. Only pesos and cc accepted in Mexico.

Now, I don't like Mexico - at least I don't like the police and officials there. I find them completely untrustworthy to the point of downright dangerous.

With that in mind, I would never use a credit card in that country under any circumstances. As a rule, I won't even get off the ship when in Cozumel or whereever.

It is their country and they have the right of course, to set their rules. There is no reason for them to take $$ for the U.S. or Canada. I don't begrudge that for sure although I know many feel they should take U.S. $$.

Nevertheless they have made their decision and this is just a heads-up to those who are heading there.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Sponsored Links
Old September 16th, 2010, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

aw geez.......

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old September 16th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wonder why the change?? I think down the road, it will cost them.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 16th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I find this hard to understand. The dollar has always been far more secure as a currency than the Peso. And every Mexican vendor I ever met would take dollars.

I hope they have not passed laws to make it impossible for vendors to exchange dollars, because if not they will just ignore the government.

It could be an excellent tool for to fight the drug trade, though. Can you see a coke dealer asking his bank to exchange $250,000 in new $20s into 2,000,000 pesos?

What are all the illegals going to send to their families in Mexico now?
Old September 16th, 2010, 03:43 PM
Admiral

I was wondering if the vendors by the port, would take, them anyway. You can bet a large percentage of cruisers, will not be aware of this, and at the risk of losing a sale, they just might take them anyway, and worry later..

Old September 16th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Admiral

I do believe this is to help fight the drug cartels. I don't know what will happen in the high tourist traffic areas.

Nevertheless, I do feel ppl have to understand - the government of any and all countries will make their own decisions on what money the will take.

As I said, I don't get off the ship - have no personal use for Mexico since we were robbed by a couple of cops, however it floors me how Americans more so than Canadians feel that Mexico and other countries should bow to their demands and take their money or whatever else.

Each country has its own laws/rules. I defy anyone to take pesos, Euros rubles, or Canadian dollars to their grocery store and try to pay for their groceries with it. Not going to happen.

This decision by the Mexican government is exactly that, their decision. Either we all buy pesos and live with it or move on to someplace else. As I previously stated - we moved on a few years ago.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old September 16th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I was wondering if the vendors by the port, would take, them anyway. You can bet a large percentage of cruisers, will not be aware of this, and at the risk of losing a sale, they just might take them anyway, and worry later..
But if they do that how are they going to buy more stock??????

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old September 16th, 2010, 04:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I doubt there will be any major changes in the tourist areas. Too difficult to enforce. Cozumel is almost a USD economy in most areas of San Migel.

I almost always have pesos that I use as a reserve and to purchase off the street items (cokes, ice creme, etc.) It's easy to get a fair exchange rate from the bank so I may just start carrying more. I don't like credit cards either so I will probably buy less while in MX.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 16th, 2010, 04:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default The title of this thread is not accurate

The information above is not accurate. You will still be able to make purchases up to $100 using U.S. Dollars. This will have little impact on the tourist areas.

As always, it can be a good idea to use an ATM and have a few pesos in your pocket for small purchases.

Here is a link to a couple of stories that explains the situation.

Mexico putting limit on purchases in dollars : News : ValleyCentral.com

http://www.ttglive.com/c/portal/layo...ency%20rumours

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Well that makes since. Thanks Mike. Anything over $100 I'm probably using the plastic anyway.

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:18 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Each country has its own laws/rules. I defy anyone to take pesos, Euros rubles, or Canadian dollars to their grocery store and try to pay for their groceries with it. Not going to happen.
True - but there is a difference. The dollar is the world currency. There are many nations where they prefer dollars. Not as much as it used to be, but...

I guarantee you there are places in America where they will take the peso or loonie (is that how you write it?)
Old September 16th, 2010, 06:25 PM
Admiral

Well, it looks like we will be able to spend our dollars without a worry. Speaking for myself, I doubt I would be spending over $100.00 in either Mexican port anyway, on my Epic cruise.

Thanks for the clarification Mike!

Old September 16th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
True - but there is a difference. The dollar is the world currency. There are many nations where they prefer dollars. Not as much as it used to be, but...

I guarantee you there are places in America where they will take the peso or loonie (is that how you write it?)
Loonies and toonies it is................but nowhere in the U.S. will take them. I live on the border of Ontario and New York. So you would expect a border town to take them, but they don't. nada - not even at the shopping malls.

The dollar is the world currency but it's beginning to lose that place but that is not the issue when spending money visiting other countries. There is no European country that will take the U.S. dollar and that I guarantee. Nor will any Asian or African country. The only places outside the U.S. are Canada and most of the Caribbean Islands.

Euro in Europe is the only accepted currency and in England the British pound.

There may be a few third world countries who will take it but really, not any that count. Now I will qualify that in saying we have been told that our upcoming excursions in Egypt and Israel will take payment in U. S. dollars but we have been told to take local currency for spending and anything else.

There is a big difference in a currency being the value that other currencies are set by. That does not mean it is accepted as everyday spending.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old September 16th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
The information above is not accurate. You will still be able to make purchases up to $100 using U.S. Dollars. This will have little impact on the tourist areas.

As always, it can be a good idea to use an ATM and have a few pesos in your pocket for small purchases.

Here is a link to a couple of stories that explains the situation.

Mexico putting limit on purchases in dollars : News : ValleyCentral.com

Mexico clears up currency rumours - Travel Trade Gazette

Take care,
Mike
That's OK for ship passengers - if true - so hard to say these days, however for those who are staying landside it's still going to be an issue.

As for using plastic - I wouldn't even consider it in Mexico.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old September 16th, 2010, 10:35 PM
First Mate

New Mexican Law Regarding US Dollars

The Mexican Government passed a new law, which comes into effect in Mexico starting September 14, 2010.

Starting September 14, 2010 the use of CASH American Dollars to make purchases in Mexico will not be as free as it has been in the past.
Many repeat guests to Mexico who have become accustomed to using American Dollars CASH in Mexico as though they were effectively in the United States will notice the difference. Other payment methods such as Credit Cards of all types and all issuing banks, Travelers Check’s, Mexican Pesos and non American Dollars foreign currencies in cash (ex Euros or Canadian Dollars) are not affected in any way by this new law.
The most noticeable differences will be:

* Hotels and Exchange Booths will only be able to change a maximum of $1,500 USD CASH per person per month into Mexican Pesos. Previously there was no limit.
* Businesses (including Amstar DMC in Mexico) will only be able to accept a maximum of $100 USD CASH per transaction - but the number of transactions per customer is not restricted.
* Certain businesses may not be able to, or may choose not to accept American Dollars CASH for any purchase at all (this may include shops at the resorts or in Playa del Carmen or in Cancun shopping malls, etc.) Or put you "monies" on bank gift cards that are backed by VISA or MC.
* If a customer wants to purchase an excursion (for example) that costs $139 US dollars per person, he/she will only be able to pay $100 USD of this amount in USD CASH and the remainder will need to be in another form of payment (credit card, Mexican Pesos cash, etc).

Vacationers should never carry large amounts of American Dollars cash with them to Mexico, but instead they should consider either using a Credit Card, taking Mexican Pesos cash, taking Travelers Check’s (of any currency) or withdrawing money locally in Mexican Pesos.

Last edited by Snoozeman; September 16th, 2010 at 11:00 PM. Reason: excursion sales promo
Old October 5th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Familiar Face

I saw this back in early August before we left on a Carnival cruise Aug 22 that stopped at Cozumel. This only applies outside the tourist areas. They certainly were accepting American dollars - taxis, stores, cart vendors. Didn't notice any change and the Mexicans we asked about the policy said it didn't apply in places like Cozumel, Cancun and other officially designated tourist areas.
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebJ14 View Post
I saw this back in early August before we left on a Carnival cruise Aug 22 that stopped at Cozumel. This only applies outside the tourist areas. They certainly were accepting American dollars - taxis, stores, cart vendors. Didn't notice any change and the Mexicans we asked about the policy said it didn't apply in places like Cozumel, Cancun and other officially designated tourist areas.
Thanks for the report and confirmation!

Future Cruises:
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I just couldn't imagine vendors in Cozumel not accepting the American dollar for any purchase. Thanks for the update.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 6th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Admiral

Was in Cozumel 6 days ago and believe me, they were very happy to take U.S. currency. Never had any problem in any way, shape form or fashion spending the good old Yankee Dollar.
Old October 11th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We just left Cozumel Friday,my greenbacks were readily accepted at several stores that we made a purchase at and at Senor Frogs. I had no problem.