Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2010, 10:43 AM
Familiar Face

Default 1st Cruise on Monarch of Seas...need advice!!

Planning 1st cruise over Spring Break in March to the Bahamas...

I chose RCCL Monarch of the Seas because it sails out of Port Canaveral and there is a good land/sea package with Universal Studios...but I'm second guessing my choice.

My kids are 13 and 8 so we're definitely interested in all of the kids and family activities.

Is this a good ship or should I consider something else? I'm open to another port if necessary if it means a better cruise line or cruise ship.

I posted on the Practical Advice Forum also but that doesn't look as active as this one does.

Thanks!!
Robin
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2010, 01:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

1) The Monarch was built in 1991. I'm sure it's been kept in excellent condition but I'm just saying...

2) I rented a car, did 3 days in Orlando, and then drove to Port Canaveral. I parked the rental in the public parking while on the Carnival Fantasy.
Port Canaveral

3) It was my one and only cruise from Port Canaveral and hated the drive to the port and the parking fees. However my late wife was in poor health and I didn't want deal with a bus.

My advice is to shop around. Disney also sails from Port Canaveral.
Princess Emerald Princess (2010) min-suite
Carnival Conquest (2008)
Princess Grand Princess (2003)
Carnival Victory (2002)
Celebrity Century (1997) Century Suite
Carnival Fantasy (1997)
Carnival Ecstasy (1994) Grand Suite
NCL Sunward (1992) Marquee Suite
RCI Nordic Empress (1990)
RCI Song of America (1988)
Old October 2nd, 2010, 04:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I know Allure of the Seas will sail in/out of Ft. Lauderdale....Just something to check as well.

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 2nd, 2010, 09:36 PM
Admiral

OMG you are going spring break! Better go on the Monarch. The theme parks will also be crowded, fair warning!
Old October 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
First Mate

The Monarch is a great ship especially if you only have time for the shorter 3/4 night cruises. The rooms onboard are very small and I suggest booking at least a jr. suite so you get more space and a balcony (if its in your budget). The staff is great and has repeatedly won the friendliest staff award. The ship is the oldest in the fleet and there is some minor visible signs of wear but nothing real noticable. If you do chose this cruise don't miss the Love and Marriage show and the Quest show. We chose this ship as our first cruise back in 06 and went on it again in 09, and plan on going on her again next year sometime.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old October 3rd, 2010, 11:00 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Something else to consider, spring break on a short cruise,will most likely be full of party goers..maybe not condusive for a family cruise.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 3rd, 2010, 02:48 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2 View Post
The Monarch is a great ship especially if you only have time for the shorter 3/4 night cruises. The rooms onboard are very small and I suggest booking at least a jr. suite so you get more space and a balcony (if its in your budget). The staff is great and has repeatedly won the friendliest staff award. The ship is the oldest in the fleet and there is some minor visible signs of wear but nothing real noticable. If you do chose this cruise don't miss the Love and Marriage show and the Quest show. We chose this ship as our first cruise back in 06 and went on it again in 09, and plan on going on her again next year sometime.
It's nice to hear someone with a positive review!! We chose the shorter crusie because we want to spend a few days in Clearwater beforehand and at Universal afterwards for 10 days total. Then we figured if we really like the cruise experience we can do a longer cruise next time.

Quote:
Something else to consider, spring break on a short cruise,will most likely be full of party goers..maybe not condusive for a family cruise.

I was hoping to avoid the bulk of the partygoers by choosing Royal Carribbean vs. Carnival and a week cruise vs. a weekend cruise. I would much prefer to take the kids out of school but then they have too much homework to make up so we're kind of stuck
Old October 3rd, 2010, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Any line, with shorter, and, less expensive cruises, are magnets at spring break time, for a livlier bunch.

Old October 3rd, 2010, 03:23 PM
Familiar Face

So what would you recommend for the Spring Break time frame?
Old October 3rd, 2010, 04:14 PM
Admiral

I know with kids off on their spring vacation, it's different all around the country, overlapping with spring break from college as well, so overlapping is a given.

And taking a 7 day cruise will still have some spring breakers, but a 7 day, or a cruise from San Juan, eleviates some of the isues associated with this time frame.

If San Juan is out, maybe the 7 day,and a shorter land trip, could be a suitable alternative...

Maybe the kids on break, will be better behaved..one can hope

Old October 3rd, 2010, 05:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Smile Spring break

If you are going on monarch of the seas at that time of the year Mid April is the best. Stay way from March that is the peak drunk and party Cruise.
Have a great cruise. Ed