Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Beginner

Default Voyager of the seas 31Oct sailing ex-BARCELONA

Hello all,

Am travelling on the following itinerary on a cruise for the 1st time with family - 6 adults
Sun 31 Oct 2010 Barcelona, Spain 07:00 PM
Boarding
Mon 01 Nov 2010 Cruising Cruising
Tue 02 Nov 2010 Naples, Capri, Italy 07:00 AM 07:00
PM Docked
Wed 03 Nov 2010 Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy 07:00 AM
07:00 PM Docked
Thu 04 Nov 2010 Livorno (Florence /Pisa), Italy 07:00 AM
07:00 PM Docked
Fri 05 Nov 2010 Villefranche (Nice), France 07:00 AM
07:00 PM Tendered
Sat 06 Nov 2010 Provence (Toulon), France 07:00 AM
05:00 PM Docked
Sun 07 Nov 2010 Barcelona, Spain 06:00 AM
Departure

A few questions for all the experts around here...
- I am booked in a balcony cabin. Is smoking permitted inside the stateroom or only in the balcony ?
- the 2nd day is only cruising... hope there is enough to do on-board as am travelling with fairly senior adults with me - my parents/uncle/aunt etc...
- Will i be allowed to carry alcohol that i would buy from dutyfree at barcelona airport on arrival ? I can probably put it in my checked baggage to avoid any detection.
- Since we are from India and my co-travellers are vegetarian, will i be allowed to carry any food items in the checked baggage to consume in the room?
- Will they have bathrobes in the shower ?
- I have already pre-paid the gratiuties with the balcony fare. Is it still required to pay 1USD for room service or baggage porterage ?
- I found all the shore excursions very highly priced thru the cruise. Any tips for the above shore excursions. I am fairly well travelled in europe before so just trying to save costs at every possible attempt.
Sponsored Links
Old October 24th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

You can smoke on your balcony, but not in your stateroom. If you do they will charge you a $250 cleaning fee.
You are not allowed to take alcohol on board. They scan all luggage. If they detect any contraband it will be taken and returned to you on the last night of the cruise.
There are more activities than you get can get around to doing on a daily basis. Read your Cruise compass for daily listing. Med cruises are very port-intensive and a day at sea is a good day to rest while you can..
You should have two bathrobes - ask your Steward if they are not there.
Yes, you need to tip the baggage porters a couple of dollars. Room service- it's also customary to tip a couple of dollars for delivering your food.
If you are an experienced traveler as you say, you really should know it is completely taboo to bring any foodstuffs into a country. Restricted items are any animal or plant products, meats, fruits, vegetables.
Old October 24th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Beginner

Hello Queen of Diamonds,

Thanks for all your information.

Yes I am a frequent traveller globally as work for an airline (ground job) and am aware of regulations in terms of meat/poultry etc that cannot be carried to certain / most countries. My question was more in terms of carrying indian home made bread for my parents as they are vegetarians and prefer asian / indian style meals (which I have already requested with the cruise) and may not get it in case of being out during shore excursions.

Thanks for the tips on 'Tips' for room service / porterage charges.

Any idea if i will be able to book the shore excursions on arrival at the ports of call ? I find the excursions listed on the RC website quiet highly priced.

Cheers and appreciate all your help.. am a 1st timer on a cruise and that too along with family... hope they enjoy it ...i know i will
Old October 24th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Admiral

I just completed this cruise on the Voyager OTS a few weeks ago. You can purchase the shore excursions on the ship, the prices on the web site and on the ship are the same. As a first time cruiser, I suggest you use the ship's excursions. Some of the ports are quite a distance from the cities you would want to visit. For example, Rome and Florence are both about 90 minutes from where the ship docks. You want to make sure to not miss the ship when it departs, and if you are on a ship sponsored excursion, they will make sure you get back in time or the ship will wait for you.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Beginner

hey Scott thanks for the update...

- Hows the overall feel to the ship and the on-board service mate ?
- Any tips for me and my family ?
- How was the food on-board ?
- Did they allow u to carry water and stuff like that back on the ship after a shore excursion as i believe bottled water is quiet expensive on-board with all the VAT etc.
- Do they accept EUR or is it mandatory to pay in USD...
- I have already prepaid gratiuties in my cruise cost...any other additional expenses that I should factor in ?
- Which room did u stay in .. I am booked for a balcony... hope its good enough and comfortable...

Looking forward to your response, when convenient.
Old October 24th, 2010, 04:14 PM
First Mate

I thought you could bring food on board? We traveled with someone who had severe allergies to alot of foods and they were allowed to bring a cooler on with her home-made food. This was on NCL - so maybe each line is different?

We alway bring peanuts and crackers for the cabin and have never had a problem. Maybe you should ask the cruiseline if you can bring the bread your parents like?
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Beginner

Hello there, we are going on the same cruise and we will be doing all the excursions on our own, using public transportation. I think the excursions are quite expensive and the private tours people use are also very high. I donīt need lunch, a quick snack will suffice and the shopping opportunities are a rip-off. An outdoor market is enjoyable and so are small shops.
Hope we all have a good trip.
Old October 24th, 2010, 05:30 PM
Admiral

We are heading overseas next Sunday, and while this particular cruise is not with RCL it is with one of the cruiselines owned by them. We have cruised the Med before.

All excursions are on the expensive side. You are better to try to find someone to share with although you are probably to late to do that now.

You can use public transportation in a number of areas but be careful and be sure you are back to the ship in plenty of time. They won't wait for you.

As a rule, there is no food allowed on or off the ship. If there are severe allergies involved you may find some co-operation but you will need to contact them prior - otherwise you are not allowed.

No liquor is allowed to be brought onboard either for consumption onboard.

There are any number of people who will attempt to smuggle all sorts of contraband onboard. If caught could be costly.

At the same time, I do usually have candy with me as it's almost impossible to get onboard. (At least the kind I like.)

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old October 25th, 2010, 12:49 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma075 View Post
hey Scott thanks for the update...

- Hows the overall feel to the ship and the on-board service mate ?
- Any tips for me and my family ?
- How was the food on-board ?
- Did they allow u to carry water and stuff like that back on the ship after a shore excursion as i believe bottled water is quiet expensive on-board with all the VAT etc.
- Do they accept EUR or is it mandatory to pay in USD...
- I have already prepaid gratiuties in my cruise cost...any other additional expenses that I should factor in ?
- Which room did u stay in .. I am booked for a balcony... hope its good enough and comfortable...

Looking forward to your response, when convenient.
My review of the cruise is posted on the RCI board and in the Reader Reviews for Voyager OTS under RCI.

The ship was beautiful and the service was great. The food was good and plentyful. I believe you can have your onboard account in USD or EUR, onshore plan to use EUR. The only additional costs is the VAT onboard. They add 18% VAT to EVERYTHING onboard, every drink, every service, every souvinier, every spa service and anything else you can purchase onboard. They don't mind if you have a bottle or 2 of water, but don't plan on bringing a case of water onboard, they run everyone and all packages through security everytime you return to the ship. We had a D1 balcony in the aft corner of deck 10. Because it was in the aft corner, it was a different shape and slightly larger than the standard D1 balcony, we loved it and had a huge balcony. Read my review to learn more.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old October 25th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingakatrin View Post
Hello there, we are going on the same cruise and we will be doing all the excursions on our own, using public transportation. I think the excursions are quite expensive and the private tours people use are also very high. I donīt need lunch, a quick snack will suffice and the shopping opportunities are a rip-off. An outdoor market is enjoyable and so are small shops.
Hope we all have a good trip.
In some ports I think this is OK to do your own excursions, especially if the ship docks close to the railway station or city center.
In Naples for example you can walk to the city center and it's also a 5 minute walk to the ferries to Capri and Sorrento. In Villefranche you are a 5 minute walk from the train station or a 10 minute walk from the closest bus stop from the tender port. From there it is only a couple of minutes by train/bus to Nice or Monaco. When I was there it was a train strike though, so no trains and about 500 people waiting for the bus...

If you would like to see Rome or Florence I really recommend to book an excursion even if it is expensive. RCI have "Rome on your own" and "Florence on your own" where you get the transport to and from Rome/Florence and have the day for yourself in the cities. You will have much more time to explore the cities than if you will go there by yourself, waiting for buses and trains and worry for not coming back to the ship on time.
I only used RCI excursions for Rome and Florence, and I am glad I did. I didn't need to worry about missing public buses, trains and, in worst case, the ship. Of course you have to be on time for the return bus to the ship, but thats only one thing to remember. :razz:

/Erik
Old October 25th, 2010, 02:41 PM
First Mate

Good catch about the food - I forgot the person with allergies did get prior approval from the cruiseline before they booked it. I still smuggle my peanuts and crackers on, and have never had a problem. I did hear RCCL is more strict when it comes to bringing anything like that on board.
CARNIVAL BREEZE 1-13-2013