Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 24th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Flow rider

I remember when we toured the Freedom, the flow rider was new, and we sat and watched the young and daring try it..content to sit on the sidelines.

I just watched America's Funniest Videos,and they showed a woman take what looked like a real serious spill, [her neck]...why they thought to send it to them I will never know, but it got me wondering...

Of course a waiver must be signed, but have you ever seen anyone get injured? And, if someone really did get seriously injured, does that waiver include every scenario 100%?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

So far, I never saw anyone get injured, but the possibility is there...

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:49 AM
First Mate

Have never seen anyone injured either. My hubby and teenagers did the flowrider on the Oasis and said it doesn't hurt when you fall because there is some give to the bottom of it. It looks like it hurts though.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old October 26th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The bottom is almost like a wrestling mat. Quite soft and you would have to hit at a pretty weird angle to be injured. The biggest problem are the women who lose their bathing suit tops.

At the local water park the attendants always have a towel ready to wrap around the women/girls when it happens.

Take care,
Mike. Who knows, first hand, how soft the bottom of the flowrider is.

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 26th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Mike this video, showed the woman, doing just that...when I saw her, I grimaced, due to her neck When we watched on the Freedom, while glad it wsn't me, no one seemed worse for wear...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 27th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

As long as you're talking about the Flowrider, I thought I'd chime in with something I was going to post on the Celebrity thread. We were on the Oct. 3 sailing of the Solstice out of Port Everglades. The day before, I went out deep sea fishing. As we were heading east in the channel towards the ocean, I was sightseeing and rechecking out all the houses etc. along the channel that we had looked at when we we in and out of the port on the first two sailings of Oasis. As we went past this one huge house I remembered, I saw a bunch of guys working on something next to the house. And believe it or not, it was a Flowrider in the guys yard, complete with the 'Flowrider' logo. And when we came back, there were some kids using it. It was pretty weird seeing one not on a ship. Must be nice. If you are leaving Everglades and looking for it, look for the house on the north side of the entrance channel with the beach installed in front (right where the channel starts east from the turning basin). Then just go a few houses to the east from there. The Flowrider is on the east side of the house. Pretty sweet. Oh, and a guy on the fishing boat told me the guy with the beach has to have it redone a minimum of once a year due to washout. What a neighborhood.

Last edited by chipmeister; October 27th, 2010 at 03:49 AM. Reason: missed a word
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:55 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipmeister View Post
As long as you're talking about the Flowrider, I thought I'd chime in with something I was going to post on the Celebrity thread. We were on the Oct. 3 sailing of the Solstice out of Port Everglades. The day before, I went out deep sea fishing. As we were heading east in the channel towards the ocean, I was sightseeing and rechecking out all the houses etc. along the channel that we had looked at when we we in and out of the port on the first two sailings of Oasis. As we went past this one huge house I remembered, I saw a bunch of guys working on something next to the house. And believe it or not, it was a Flowrider in the guys yard, complete with the 'Flowrider' logo. And when we came back, there were some kids using it. It was pretty weird seeing one not on a ship. Must be nice. If you are leaving Everglades and looking for it, look for the house on the north side of the entrance channel with the beach installed in front (right where the channel starts east from the turning basin). Then just go a few houses to the east from there. The Flowrider is on the east side of the house. Pretty sweet. Oh, and a guy on the fishing boat told me the guy with the beach has to have it redone a minimum of once a year due to washout. What a neighborhood.
We noticed that guys house too on our recent Oasis cruise. My boys have been bugging us to have one installed at our house ever since. (No way that will ever happen.) Must be nice to have it but wouldn't want the liability of having neighbor kids use it. We will just have to cruise more often if they want to use one.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old October 27th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

I like that idea too. I guess I'll have to test the ones on Allure....but just to see if they are as good. On Oasis, I was walking the deck one night around 1:00 a.m and the flowrider staff was up there just hanging out. I guess they were going to close it up for the night but stayed for awhile and they were using it themselves. Man, they were doing some crazy stuff. And they were good!
Old October 28th, 2010, 02:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I read on another board that someone did get hurt; they fell and twisted their knee and had to go to the onboard doctor; they ended up on crutches the remainder of the cruise.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds