Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2010, 08:31 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Just back from 10 days on the Explorer.

Had a wonderful time on this ship. The room was clean, the food was really good and the staff was warm and helpful.
I had read alot of stuff both good and bad about this ship, the only bad thing about this whole cruise was Samana, the worst port ever, and I use to think San Juan was the pits.
Hollween was blast. 10 days went by very fast, too fast. St. Kitts is a nice place to shop but no real nice beach to speak of. The people to St. Kitts were great we had a good time but the beach was not so nice, South Frigget beach.
Over all we would do this cruise again and again, the ship is in really good shape for 10 years old , they even had a birthday party for the ship this past week.
If any one needs any info, let me know.

2002- Celebrity Summit –Alaska
2004-RCI Vision of the Sea – Alaska
2006- Carnival Victory- Canada
2007-Crown Princess- Caribbean
2008- Carnival Miracle- Caribbean
2010-Explorer of the Sea -Caribbean
2011 NCL Jewel to Caribbean
2012 NCL Gem to Caribbean ( during Hurricane sandy)
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2010, 08:58 PM
Passenger

Hi and thanks for posting your experience on the EOTS. I will be on that ship in March '11 and will be going to Semana too. What didn't you like about it? Also, why don't you like San Juan? (that is also part of my itinerary). What type of room did you get? Husband and I are staying in a balcony room with our 4 yr old daughter. Did you notice anything about the children's activities? What kind of food do they serve? This will be my first cruise, by the way so any info you can give me will be helpful! thanks!
Old November 8th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

San Juan the pits?
I love pulling into San Juan from the sea, it feels like you have gone into a time warp when you pass the modern city and go round to the Harbor, where you pass El Morro, the fort that guards San Juan. I expected Johnny Depp to come swinging across the bow.. Old San Juan is all cobbled streets so very quaint, lots of good shopping and places to eat. I'll be back there in August.
Never been to Samana.

For menus look at post #3
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=765620
Old November 8th, 2010, 11:10 AM
First Mate

We did the nine night on Explorer early last year and loved it. What about Samana didn't you like? We went to Cayo Levantado while stopped in Samana and it ranks up there as one of our favorite beaches. An absolutely beautiful beach with all ammenities and crystal clear water also a great place to snorkel. We stayed there all day and never went to the "mainland" of Samana so that might be the difference. Have never been to St. Kitts and it is on my wish lists of places to go to. Maybe I should remove it from the list especially since we are beach people. Glad you enjoyed your cruise we too have said that we would love to do that itinerary again.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old November 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I actually went to a nice beach in St. Kitts, Turtle beach. Its a good cab ride from the pier area, but you can have the same driver come back and pick you up. Also, if you go with a group and get a bunch of people to share the cab, a big $ saver. There were monkeys there that you could feed and you can see all the way to Nevis from this beach.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 9th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Smile

Samana is very small and there is nothing to do there. I was a jerk, I didn't book to go to Cavo because i wanted to be on my own time, so I was going to take a trip with the local company to Cavo BUT , RCI doesn't allow any locals to take people from the ship to Cavo so you must book through RCI, I didn't know that so I missed out. There were other things to do if you booked with the ship but the town......well not the best.
I have been to san juan a few times, old san juna is nice but the rest of the city reminds me of the Bronx.
The stateroom we had was an inside very comfortable, clean and roomy with a small couch and mini bar frig.
I don't know a lot about the kids activites but it seemed the kids were busy all day long.
The food was really good, some of the best I ve had on a ship, no major complaints, plus someone was cooking, cleaning and serving....so how bad can it be

2002- Celebrity Summit –Alaska
2004-RCI Vision of the Sea – Alaska
2006- Carnival Victory- Canada
2007-Crown Princess- Caribbean
2008- Carnival Miracle- Caribbean
2010-Explorer of the Sea -Caribbean
2011 NCL Jewel to Caribbean
2012 NCL Gem to Caribbean ( during Hurricane sandy)
Old November 16th, 2010, 11:12 PM
First Mate

We have sailed the Explorer twice and love this ship! It's easy to get around, the staff is wonderful, the food is awesome and the kids activities ROCK! We can't get our kids out of there, even if we paid them!!!

Our last cruise was a 12 day and San Juan was one of our favorites. Enough so that the kids want to go back and just "do" the town! They are 11 and then 8.

Given the chance we would/will cruise again on the Explorer. Dh wants to do the New England cruise again so it will be on our agenda of "want tos" soon.

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old November 17th, 2010, 02:19 AM
Admiral

Thanks for sharing your cruise with us!!
Old November 17th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Passenger

that's great to hear! thanks