CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Allure 12/12 and Formal nights (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/378081-allure-12-12-formal-nights.html)

Euphonic November 12th, 2010 10:52 PM

Allure 12/12 and Formal nights

Hello, I was thinking about renting a tux on formal night...but if it wouldnt seem in bad taste I would rather save my money. I still would like to experience the fine dining of the main dining rooms...would it be out of line to just wear black slacks with a dress shirt and tie with dress shoes and belt... without a dinner jacket?

Thanks,
Steve

sierrawine November 13th, 2010 06:42 PM

I've no experience on Allure but I've been on several cruises on various lines. Your attire seems perfectly fine. That tie goes a long way! I've seen people much fancier (tux) and MUCH more casual (polo shirt, khakis) at formal nights. I think you'd be totally fine!

johnthed0g November 13th, 2010 06:48 PM

Surely you can't be too well dressed on a formal night, if you are the only one in a tux then it is one time that the minority is right!!

Donna November 13th, 2010 06:52 PM

To be on the safe side, I think I'd just pack a suit...You may want to have some formal pics taken?

johnthed0g November 13th, 2010 06:59 PM

A suit sounds good....
I REALLY wish these cruise lines would state what they want or just scrap the dress codes.

Donna November 13th, 2010 07:03 PM

I agree with you John.

Euphonic November 13th, 2010 11:36 PM

I did call RCI and speak with someone about this. I was told that as long as you were not wearing jeans or T-shirts, that it was common knowledge with the staff not to turn anyone away from dining and shows because of the diversity of the common cruiser today. They told me as long as I did not wear shorts, jeans, or a t-shirt, I would not have any problems with staff. the lady did tell me that some other cruisers were known to make negitive comments or ugly faces at people who do not meet the standard that they have decided you should meet in their own minds, but that from the ships stand point, that I wouldnt have anything to worry about.

interesting. i will most likely rent the tux...but it would be nice to save that little extra. We shall see. ;-)

thanks for all the replies. I appreciate every one of them.

Steve

alw2 December 8th, 2010 08:58 AM

Formal nights

Hi! I am a veteran cruiser on RCCL. You do not need to wear a tux on formal nights. The majority of men wear a suit and a tie. Very few actually wear tuxedos. Some men even just wear nice pants, dress shirt and a tie. I too have even seen people wearing polo shirts and Khakis but, they are far fewer than men in suits. I usually wear a cocktail dress.

Hope that helps!