CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Liberty of the Seas - Labadee (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/378398-liberty-seas-labadee.html)

SophySeaDog November 29th, 2010 06:21 PM

Liberty of the Seas - Labadee

[COLOR="Blue"]Hello, Everyone, I found this post on beach day at Labadee:

Is it true that we would need to leave the ship to have lunch?

Labadee: this is Royal Caribbean's own private slice of Haiti. If you are looking for a great beach day, this is a great location. We did the zipline tour at the beginning of the day, which was quite spectacular, although short (just over 60 seconds) and expensive ($85). Only the second ship's tour we had ever done and reconfirmed our view that they are overpriced. The barbecue on the island was pretty low quality with minimum variety and lukewarm food. However, it was the only option for lunch that day, as Windjammer and the main dining room were both closed, forcing passengers to get off the ship to eat this lackluster lunch (not sure why).

Thanks SSD

felix_the_cat November 29th, 2010 06:43 PM

I would doubt that very much. The dining room will be closed but not the buffet - perhaps only a section open but it won't all be closed.

Donna November 29th, 2010 06:44 PM

No SSD,
They serve a BBQ lunch on the beach in like 3 different areas, so if you do get off the ship, you can have lunch and not have to go back on the ship. If you are on the ship, lunch will be served in the Windjammer Cafe as usual.

SophySeaDog November 29th, 2010 07:01 PM

Thanks Donna, Very Much Appreciated

We will post a review when we return.

SSD

Manuel November 29th, 2010 07:57 PM

Donna is correct!

We have been to Labadee twice.

We enjoyed it both times.

TM

Donna November 29th, 2010 09:09 PM

Its actually a beautiful beach, I'd check it out, go to the other side of the beach and also the market they have there where the locals sell their stuff.

Wando November 30th, 2010 07:43 AM

I haven't been to Labadee yet (I will be next November), however, isn't one of the beaches (I think I've read the better one) and the better BBQ just for suite passengers now?

felix_the_cat November 30th, 2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wando (Post 1331382)
I haven't been to Labadee yet (I will be next November), however, isn't one of the beaches (I think I've read the better one) and the better BBQ just for suite passengers now?

That's true - it is. Just another way that RCL is turning the clock back to days of yesterday when sailing on ships was done in the class system.

higginszoo November 30th, 2010 10:02 AM

On Liberty of the Seas, the eating places on the Promenade (Cafe Promenade and Sorrento's Pizza) should be open as well. There will definitely be food on board, just not the MDR (which isn't usually open for lunch on port days anyway).

Captain December 1st, 2010 07:29 PM

Yes, you do need a gold colored Sea Pass to get on one of the beaches. They also had their own BBQ. I was there just last week.

Trip December 1st, 2010 07:38 PM

What is the "better" food, did they add things like steak, or something else? What makes the "better" beach better?

Captain December 1st, 2010 09:34 PM

Good question... I don't know, I did not have a gold "SeaPass" so I was not allowed access.

SophySeaDog December 4th, 2010 06:34 AM

We got a message from RC,they say that the buffet is closed while docked at Labadee but there is room service available.

SSD

viv26 December 4th, 2010 08:34 AM

we were told the same thing, no buffet or MDR.

DiamondMember December 4th, 2010 08:50 AM

The buffet in the private beach has steak and lobster. Also you can have it served to you in your cabana. The beach is limited to suite guests.

felix_the_cat December 4th, 2010 10:14 AM

I guess they want everyone off the ship. That isn't right as far as I'm concerned, the buffet should be open. At least there is room service.

SophySeaDog December 4th, 2010 04:01 PM

I am not too impressed with what seems like a class system, sort of like the Titanic (1st class, 2dn & Steerage), after all we all eat the same meals on board whether you book an inside cabin or a suite.
Below is the response we got from RC
Dear Sir

Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

The Windjammer Café will be closed while the Liberty of the Seas is in port at Labadee, Haiti; however, there are other eateries onboard that remain open, including room service. Please check onboard for a list of eateries that are available while the ship is docked at Labadee. We apologize for any disappointment this response may cause.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Sincerely,

Customer Service Representative

Trip December 4th, 2010 05:06 PM

I am really quite amazed the Windjammer is closed...if I stayed on board that day, I would find this quite bothersome to say the least;(

Dave Beers December 4th, 2010 06:20 PM

So all the ship will have is room service, the Cafe Promenade, and probably Sorrento's pizza? Interesting.

Perhaps the dock at Labadee has changed the dynamics of the port stop? Has the number of passengers going ashore increased since it is so easy to leave the ship now? I know that in the past many just wouldn't want to mess with tendering and thus stay aboard and require more services as a result. Perhaps RCI has looked at their data and it indicates there aren't enough people staying aboard to warrant having lunch service at the Windjammer?

Another cost-cutting measure. I don't like it either. Not everyone gets excited about fighting flies and the heat to sit at a picnic table and eat what is really a cheap meal off of a paper plate.

Donna December 4th, 2010 06:59 PM

Now I'm wondering if the Windjammer is open, someone said the MDR is closed, which I could understand, but not the buffet in the Windjammer. Not everyone goes ashore in Labadee. Once you get off the pier, you have to walk in sand, and for some, that could be a problem...

DiamondMember December 7th, 2010 05:32 PM

In response to the comment regarding the "Class System"; it's all about what you pay for. When onboard the ship not all passengers eat the same food, people pay for a premium food experience at Chops, Portofino or Chefs Table. Would that be a "Class System" because some folks determined to enhance their cruise experience with extras? If you pay for the luxury of a suite, I agree that you should be entitled to certain additional amenities that come along with the premium price. For example, the food on Labadee is still very good for 90% of the people, adding the upgrade of Steak and Lobster for those traveling in a Suite is fine by me as those folks paid 3, 4, or 5 times the price of their cruise than someone in a deck 2 inside cabin. As a side note, the cruise line generally has not removed a service or product for the non-suites; thereby, decreasing the cruise experience; they have merely added luxury items that are taliored to those guests. From a Labadee perspective, in the 17 years I've sailed to Coco Cay and Labadee, they never served Steak and Lobster; so there is really nothing to "miss" for the non-suite guests.

If all things were created equal, everyone would get the same cabin onboard, pay the same price in cruise fare and all services and products would be included in your fare. Unfortunately, no cruise line operates this way; nor does any resort or hotel property.

Wando December 8th, 2010 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondMember (Post 1333115)
In response to the comment regarding the "Class System"; it's all about what you pay for. When onboard the ship not all passengers eat the same food, people pay for a premium food experience at Chops, Portofino or Chefs Table. Would that be a "Class System" because some folks determined to enhance their cruise experience with extras? If you pay for the luxury of a suite, I agree that you should be entitled to certain additional amenities that come along with the premium price. For example, the food on Labadee is still very good for 90% of the people, adding the upgrade of Steak and Lobster for those traveling in a Suite is fine by me as those folks paid 3, 4, or 5 times the price of their cruise than someone in a deck 2 inside cabin. As a side note, the cruise line generally has not removed a service or product for the non-suites; thereby, decreasing the cruise experience; they have merely added luxury items that are taliored to those guests. From a Labadee perspective, in the 17 years I've sailed to Coco Cay and Labadee, they never served Steak and Lobster; so there is really nothing to "miss" for the non-suite guests.

If all things were created equal, everyone would get the same cabin onboard, pay the same price in cruise fare and all services and products would be included in your fare. Unfortunately, no cruise line operates this way; nor does any resort or hotel property.

It is more than a better buffet for suite guests on Labadee. They've also blocked off, what I understand is the best beach area for suites only. So non suite guests cannot go there. Also I believe (someone can correct me if I'm mistaken) that Royal Caribbean also blocks off chairs by the pool for suite guests and the first couple of rows in the theatre are for suite guests only. So yes non-suite guests are having common areas taken away.

DiamondMember December 8th, 2010 10:06 AM

They have blocked off a small section of the beach in Labadee for Suite Guests; however, I would not call it the "best" beach; there is an abundance of beach area for guests to leverage. As for the pool chairs and theater, I believe they tried that out and repealed it as it was not used. Also, the pool chairs were the ones on along the pool and sky bar (stadium seating) like area. I agree that these are the exception, generally speaking common areas remain consistent.

I'll also point out that Diamond and Diamond Plus members now get a lounge shut down nightly for a 2-3 hour period for free wine on those ships that are without a diamond lounge. Does that also consitute a class system? Or is that just rewarding those passengers who have chosen to continue to patronize the cruise line? I believe we need to accept that businesses within the hospitality sector are "expected" to reward those individuals who pay a premium price or earn status. This is no different than being a Platinum Starwoord Member (i.e., Free access to the club floor/lounge, free upgrades, free bottled water, free access to health club) or a Gold Medalian Member on Delta (i.e., premium coach seats reserved, free drink in coach, free first class upgrade, etc.).

addicted2 December 8th, 2010 11:07 AM

As not only a Diamond member (close to being Diamond Plus) but also as a cruiser who has stayed in suites on all but my first cruise, I appreciate the extras that Royal Caribbean provides for their top paying guests. It is nice to be appreciated for not only my loyalty to their cruise line but also willing to pay for the extras that we receive as suite guests. There are also almost daily special "meetings" for Diamond/Diamond Plus members whether it is a meet and greet with the officers or special previews of art shows. My favorite was the chance to meet the officers on the heli-pad in Nassau onboard the Oasis.
I wouldn't call it a class system but a perk for the loyalty of the passengers who are repeated customers (which alot of companys recognize with special offerings) and for those that are willing to pay thousands of dollars of extras to cruise in the suites. We paid over $8000 for our owners suite for four people on our recent Oasis cruise (while the inside cabins would have been around $3000) we have no problem paying for the extras that staying in a suite allows us to enjoy and you know that the price for these extras is included in the price the suite guests are paying for there staterooms. I for one applaud RCL for continuing to add more perks to recognize the loyalty of there customers, repeat cruisers are the majority of there business and to keep us loyal in the competitive business they are in the perks help to keep us loyal. I have never cruised on anything but RCL and can't see me ever changing that.

jacdenv24 December 8th, 2010 11:30 AM

RCL also wants to keep those passengers who consistently book suites coming back. Anyone who can afford $8000 two or three times a year could easily defect to one of the luxury all-inclusive lines.

DiamondMember December 8th, 2010 12:58 PM

Thanks addicted2; I agree completely. While I am a Diamond Plus member and have sailed in all levels of cabins (from inside to Owners Suite); I completely agree that when I was willing to spend the extra money on the premium accomodations; I expected special treatment and service. No differently if I have booked a similar like suite at a high-end hotel. I will always sail Royal as they have done a good job at recognizing my loyalty.

SophySeaDog December 8th, 2010 07:49 PM

It seems that my comment about Class System has stirred up quite a "hornets nest"

Interesting!!

viv26 December 10th, 2010 12:12 AM

heck....if I had the money i would book those suites and get those perks too, so until then I eat BBQ with the rest of the poor folks :)