Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 2nd, 2010, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Default Freedom of the seas/Caribbean cruise newbie

Hi all I just booked the Freedom of the seas for 2012. My last RCL cruise was in 1994 and I have never cruised the Caribbean. I live in California and airfare was an issue. Plus my hubby hates to fly.

Here are the ports on my cruise:
Falmouth, Jamaica; Cozumel, Mexico; George town, Grand Cayman; and Labadee, Haiti.

I would like to hear advice about the ship or the ports. What was your favorite food on board the ship? How was the ice show? What was your favorite port (of the ports listed) and why? Any must do things on the ship or in port? Please tell me more about Labadee. Thanks for your help. I'm excited to go. I have to wait over a year. But I can do it.:-D

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Sponsored Links
Old December 2nd, 2010, 07:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I have a feeling, you will fall in love with this freedom class ship, plus you get a stop at Labadee. Always a wonderful beach day, lots to do and explore and have a nice BBQ lunch on the beach.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 5th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Cruise Maniac

We just cruised the Freedom in August and loved it. We are also in California but I grew up on Merritt Island by Cocoa Beach and went to my class reunion. To "encourage" my DH to go with me, we booked a cruise for the next day leaving from Port Canaveral. We stayed at the Radisson where the reunion was held. Fly in a day early, rent a car and drive the hour to Port Canaveral. The beach is so close as is Ron Jon's and other places. WalMart is just down the 528 to MI if you need something or want to pick up things instead of packing them.

We were suppose to do the Eastern but Hurricane Karl changed our itinerary to Western, Coco Cay, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. In Cozumel we just went to the El Cid hotel by the docks but in Grand Cayman we booked the Stingrays. We have done this before and loved it. We did Labadee years ago and like Donna said, BBQ and beach activities.

On the Freedom, be sure to check out the adult only large jacuzzi that pops on the sides, try the flowrider or watch others, the ice shows are a must! Be sure to get tickets and go early. The lines are long but everyone gets in. We recommend the sitting in the middle section so you can see everything. The food was great and you will love the Wind Jammer - buffet area. So much more room than the Horizon Court on Princess and much more selections. Enjoy!
New England/Canada

228 sea days soon to be 249
Old December 5th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the information. I think we should rent a car once we get into town. I know we want to get in 2 or 3 days early to go to Disney World and Universal. I think we would also like to see the space museum, but nothing is set in stone yet. I'm not sure about the flow rider. It might be a comedy thing if I try it. I love ice shows so I will do that for certain. I think RCL has the only ships with ice shows. Glad to hear about the Walmart there is always something that is forgotten.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old December 5th, 2010, 10:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
. I'm not sure about the flow rider. It might be a comedy thing if I try it. I love ice shows so I will do that for certain. .
You just might enjoy the Flow rider.

And the ice show is something that you don't want to miss.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old December 6th, 2010, 09:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady View Post
Thanks for the information. I think we should rent a car once we get into town. I know we want to get in 2 or 3 days early to go to Disney World and Universal.
FYI - Budget is the closest car rental to the port, just down the street from the Radisson. We dropped it off the day/night before to save a day's charge and took the hotel's shuttle to the port. Very organized this time. We also did the Kennedy Space Center tour & airport drop off afterwards. We were staying in Orlando 1 night at the Embassy Suites by the airport so we called them for p/u. They have a free shuttle that will take you somewhere within a 5 mile range. KSC was a great tour and many memories from when my dad worked there. It will always be Cape Canaveral to me .

Besides ice skating shows they do have public ice skating; just need long pants and socks.
New England/Canada

228 sea days soon to be 249
Old December 6th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Cozumel is one of my favorite ports. The best excursion we have done there was the Royal Swim with Dolphins. We booked direct with Swim with Dolphins at Dolphin Discovery Cancun, Vallarta, Riviera Maya, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Mexico and the Caribbean it was expensive but a thrilling day we'll never forget.
Check out Cozumelinsider.com for lots of ideas re independent excursions.
We usually manage to shop a little downtown and try to always get to Pancho's backyard for lunch.
If you just want a beach day, there are lots of all inclusive beach clubs - Playa Mia, Nachi Cocum, Mr Sancho's you can go to.
Old December 31st, 2010, 02:22 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I am was wondering how exactly you did the car rental, get to port thing. Our trave agent basically told us we would end up paying for transport becuse there is no where to turn in the car close to the port, and no one will drop us off. We will be flying in the day before from california. we have five people in our part, so to pay for transport there and back for five is quite the added expense... Thanks for the info!! : )
Old January 2nd, 2011, 06:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Your travel agent is wrong. All of the major car rental agencies are located close to Port Canaveral and all have free shuttles to the port.

Port Canaveral