Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 10th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Familiar Face

Default People of Haiti

We have never been to Ladadee haiti and have some reservations about going there.We booked the cruise about a year ago before the earthquake and since then things have gotten very bad through most of haiti.
One thing i have realized after reading the various topics on this site is that there is plenty of references to Labadee as a great cruise stop,But almost no conversation as to the plight of the people who live there.

For those of you who have been there, have any of you felt a sense of guilt knowing of the sickness and poverty Haiti's people face?

SSD
Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Welcome Newcomer

No, because going to Haiti is one of the best things that you can do to help the people of the island. Go to the straw market and buy some items from the vendors there as this money helps their families in Haiti. We met a very nice beach patrol when we were in Labadee last time named Franklin, he answered our questions about the island and where the best spot to hang out on the beach was. We gave him a $20 tip before we left, and he couldn't stop thanking us enough as he said that would help so many of his family members! So if you go there, and you see one of the workers being very helpful, give them a little tip and you will surely feel good about helping people that sure could use it!!! Keith
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Familiar Face

I have not been there but I would agree with Skeeter.

Thinking about it logicaly, the poor people and poor government of hati needs any and every dollar they can get. What would they benifit if our "guilt" kept us from going? that in and of itself is turning a blind eye to the needs. By going, and taking your money with you, you can support them while allowing them to keep some dignity during really rought times. Government hand outs are one thing when we send millions and billions to help rebuild. but when people are taking hand outs they loose any since of pride. However, when they have done something worth earning your dollar, then everyone can feel good. I say go, spend, and everyone be blessed! ;-)
Old December 10th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Admiral

I have been there twice and will go again in January. We will do some shopping and tip the people that do something for us.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old December 10th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Keep in mind, this is a totaly private fenced in beach, where the only locals you will come in contact with are the ones that work there. So, I think you get a false sense of what the rest of Haiti actually is going through. I wouldn't worry and not get off the ship, the beach is beautiful and you can also buy some local goods in their market area.

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 11th, 2010, 11:24 AM
Captain

We have never been to Haiti but right now I think my biggest concern would be the cholera outbreak. It is now spreading outside the country. Our son and family are going to Dominican Republic this week and we getting a little worried, to say the least.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Old December 11th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Admiral

Default Haiti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Keep in mind, this is a totaly private fenced in beach, where the only locals you will come in contact with are the ones that work there. So, I think you get a false sense of what the rest of Haiti actually is going through. I wouldn't worry and not get off the ship, the beach is beautiful and you can also buy some local goods in their market area.

Friends of ours were there earlier this year and had a great time.
Old December 11th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

RCI supplies jobs and humanitarian relief for the Haitian people. Please see: Humanitarian Relief to Haiti - Royal Caribbean International
You should feel no guilt...
Princess Emerald Princess (2010) min-suite
Carnival Conquest (2008)
Princess Grand Princess (2003)
Carnival Victory (2002)
Celebrity Century (1997) Century Suite
Carnival Fantasy (1997)
Carnival Ecstasy (1994) Grand Suite
NCL Sunward (1992) Marquee Suite
RCI Nordic Empress (1990)
RCI Song of America (1988)
Old December 11th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Familiar Face

Thank You all for a better perspective, We leave in three weeks and we will let you know how things were.

SSD
Old December 11th, 2010, 06:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophySeaDog View Post
We have never been to Ladadee haiti and have some reservations about going there.We booked the cruise about a year ago before the earthquake and since then things have gotten very bad through most of haiti.
One thing i have realized after reading the various topics on this site is that there is plenty of references to Labadee as a great cruise stop,But almost no conversation as to the plight of the people who live there.

For those of you who have been there, have any of you felt a sense of guilt knowing of the sickness and poverty Haiti's people face?

SSD
Actually, the area where the ship is moored is located in an area where there are not too many people living (but there are some there as you will note when you are there). Some people asked about RCL's decency and humanitarian reasons for continuing to go there while everything was going on and they said that they donate a certain amount of money for each passenger who is on a cruise to Haiti to their govt, so they are providing them with financial help. They also bring additional supplies (or they did in the beginning) with each cruise going there to help out.
Look at it this way, RCL will not let any of its passengers go where it is not safe; they are liable for each and every passenger on board.
So have fun and maybe donate some additional money as tips to those who help you on the island; this way, everybody wins!