CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Does RCL have Auto Tips? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/378797-does-rcl-have-auto-tips.html)

katlady December 18th, 2010 10:54 AM

Does RCL have Auto Tips?

Hi all my last cruise on RCL was in 1994. I have cruise Carnival in recent years and they do the Auto tips. We are doing our first caribbean cruise on the Freedom of the Seas. I'm very excited about seeing this ship.

But I'm wondering if RCL does the auto tips or if I need the envelopes. If I need to use the envelopes what is the break down of the tips? Also how much is the recommended tip per person per day? I saw something about an increase in the recommended tip and if there are no auto tips I need to learn the new break down. I know a lot of people don't like the auto tips. I do like them because I'm going to tip anyway and the auto tip makes it easy. I'm also free to tip extra on the auto tip if the service is excellent. Which in my experience it always is. Thanks for you help.:D

felix_the_cat December 18th, 2010 10:58 AM

They don't have auto-tips but you can have your TA automatically add them on your invoice or you can apply them when you board the ship. If you add them to your cruise prior to sailing you cannot make any adjustments. Also, if you use choice dining your tips must be paid upfront.

Other than that - you can make your own decision.

Mike M December 18th, 2010 12:14 PM

Yes:

You can have your tips automatically added to your onboard account. There will be a form delivered to your cabin early in the cruise where you indicate if you want the tips added to your account or not.

If you do My Time Dining then you need to pre-pay your gratuities before sailing. You will not need to do anything on the last night.

If you have your gratuities added to your account. On one of the last nights you will receive little "cards" and envelopes. You just stick the cards in the envelope and you're done. You can add more $$ is you desire.

I personally would like to do away with the cards completely.

There is no need to bring envelopes.

Take care,
Mike

felix_the_cat December 18th, 2010 12:57 PM

They don't have the envelopes on either Azamara or Celebrity anymore. (We've done both in the last 6 weeks.) Seemed a little off to walk out the dining room without handing out the envelope. But for us, in both cases, the gratuities were part of the fare. With Azamara everyone has pre-paid gratuities, for our Celebrity our's were pre-paid but only because of the circumstances of why I was on the ship.

Donna December 18th, 2010 08:43 PM

There is a recent post that states the tips are going up on Royal Caribbean, July 1st, 2011. At the present, they are $10.00 per day, per person. As of July 1st, they will be $11.65...Odd amount IMHO, don't know the exact breakdown yet...

DebJ14 December 18th, 2010 09:40 PM

Be careful when adding tips to your onboard account. I sent my DH down to the purser's office to add the tips - they only added them for him. We didn't discover it until he got his tip vouchers to put in the envelopes and I didn't get any. I went down and tried to get mine added to the onboard account too, but they said it was too late. Last time I send DH to take care of anything! Funny thing is that it was my credit card on the Sea Pass account.

katlady December 19th, 2010 12:47 PM

Thanks for the information. I have Early seating. So once I'm on board I can add my tips at the purser's desk. That will make it easy. In my opinion it's about time the tips were increased. They have been around $10 per day per person since at least 2004. If I do the tips through the purser's desk I don't have to worry about the breakdown they will automatically break it down for me.