CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Clothing iron on ship? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/378894-clothing-iron-ship.html)

dude_hdt December 23rd, 2010 11:46 AM

Clothing iron on ship?

3 days until embarking...:D

Started packing and can't remember in the past if clothing iron is available in room or at designated places on board (laundry room). I recall something about safety against fire so irons not allowed?

Would use the search feature to find this topic but the feature is not working at all for me for some reason.

Kuki December 23rd, 2010 12:06 PM

Irons are on the list of banned items due to fire hazzard. RCI doesn't have self serve laundry rooms, but does offer ironing service from the laundry.

Robbie H December 23rd, 2010 04:27 PM

Much to our chagrin, they don't allow them any longer.

Even though some folks may not have the same successs, "Downy Wrinkle Release" works great for us. Also rolling clothing seems to help.

Funnel December 23rd, 2010 05:13 PM

Even if it is easier to do the ironing yourself I think it is a good policy not to allow ironing in the cabin. Fire onboard can be a nightmare.
Here you can find some info about laundry and ironing.

Laundry service onboard

Price list

/Erik

DetroitMark December 23rd, 2010 05:37 PM

No irons. And laundry is going to be 40 or 50 bucks every time you use their service. Laundry service on Brilliance was abysmal. Underwear came back dingy as though they wash them with the jeans. And clothes that went out in two bags came back in 4 or 5 straggling shots; a little here, a little there until about 48 hours later I finally got everything back.

Princess Cruises has a laundry room you can use that costs just a little more than a normal laundromat. This is one quirk about RCL that I really hated.

dude_hdt December 24th, 2010 08:12 AM

Thanks for the info, folks. I fully agree with the ban on personal irons onboard. Can't think of a scarier thing than a fire when you're hundreds of miles from shore. Everyone onboard is distracted enough to not need to put the ship at risk.

I'll do the rolling trick in addition to steam from shower and hair drier that should take much of the wrinkles out.

2 more days...Xmas is getting in the way of packing :rolleyes:

seadog2 December 26th, 2010 09:26 PM

That is correct, no irons allowed in the cabins but what I find interesting is that there is a coffee maker in the Jr. Suites cabins and above.

DetroitMark December 28th, 2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seadog2 (Post 1337270)
That is correct, no irons allowed in the cabins but what I find interesting is that there is a coffee maker in the Jr. Suites cabins and above.

We had a coffee maker and we were nothin' but common, garden variety, Oceanview Balcony.

Would never have used it though, that coffee is dreadful.

Cathy100 January 26th, 2011 03:12 PM

I have always thought that an open flame from lighting a cigarette would be more of a safety issue but we aren't even going to go there today.......:p

Queen of Oakville January 26th, 2011 04:44 PM

I'm with you Cathy .... !

To the OP, portable steamers are allowed.

DebJ14 January 30th, 2011 08:47 PM

If you pack your clothes tight enough in the suitcase they don't wrinkle. If you use a suitcase that is too large for what you are taking the stuff slides around and ends up wrinkled. I didn't have anything wrinkled on this cruise, but in the past if it was I just hand it in the bathroom while taking a shower and the steam takes care of any wrinkles.