Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:01 PM
First Mate

Default iphone/blackberry question

I can get two weeks of "foreign" service for my blackberry, but I am confused. Verizon told my husband, just be sure you only use your phone at sea, because once docked, the ship switches ???? and it can cost an arm and a leg in "roaming" charges. Do any of you have any experience with this? I really am not so interested in making calls, although that would be nice, as being able to access emails and internet. The Verizon fellow made me think when he mentioned the ship's "router" that I could end up paying for the ship's wifi, plus paying Verizon for foreign service. I am pretty tech challenged, so your thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2010, 10:48 PM
Admiral

I use my blackberry at sea and make sure I go into setup and and change turn off the data/while roaming. Once I'm a bit away from the ship I turn it back on and the emails flood in. Then you can read them at your leisure as they are now on your phone. I also make sure I turn off the roaming so that it hunts for the closest provider, which is not the ship. Depending on what country you are in you will get the local carrier.

Just completed - Celebrity Reflection, Nov. 22 (learning to sail solo) followed by Independence of the Seas Nov. 30.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old December 27th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

If you have an Iphone ATT offeers a int'l plan which covers data/and phone. You pay for the enire month. If u just want to check emails then u need to do this: 1. go into settings and turn off data roaming. This will eliminate any text messages and emails from coming in. Turn on Wifi and you phone will show u the list of wifi's. Look for free wifi in the ports u visit and u should be able to download all your emails. With the date service turned off; u eliminate anyone trying to text or call you.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old December 27th, 2010, 07:18 PM
First Mate

thank you for the help -- I'm jotting notes. Just to clarify -- on ship, if I plug into their wi fi for internet, I'll be charged, just like if I had a computer with me? I'm thinking I won't find any free wi fi at sea .
Old December 28th, 2010, 07:19 AM
Familiar Face

Verizon also offers a sort of cruise ship data package. Just call them. It will temporarily add a $29 per month fee (prorated) to your bill. Just take it off when you come back. If you don't purchase it, you will have to turn your roaming off or be charged a billion dollars a minute for data you don't even care about.

All you want is to be able to receive and send texts, emails, and calls through your phone. You do not want to browse the internet through your phone. You'll never get a signal strong enough to do that anyway.

Get the package and the ship's tower will send you a verizon signal whenever you're at sea. They seem to turn it off at port. At that time you will only get calls if you have a global phone anyway.

If you want to browse the internet, use the computers in their computer lounges. It's usually about .65 cents a minute or $35 an hour. Checking your email, checking into facebook and doing some quick browsing should cost you between 7 and 10 dollars. Relaxing and staying on the computer all day when you're supposed to be vacationing will be 40 or 50 bucks to your seapass card.
Old December 28th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Captain

Youre on vacation. Why deal with email, phones, internet etc? Cant you do that at home? The idea is to relax and get away from it all. Unless its an emergency leave it alone. Its amazing to me that people cant let go.
1999-Paradise
1999-Sun Princess
2002-Pride
2004-Pride
2006-Pride
2008-Valor and Glory
2009-Spirit and Splendor
2010-Freedom of the Seas and Mariner of the Seas
2010-Carnival Spirit
2011-Carnival Dream
2012-Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas
Old December 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by briguy View Post
Youre on vacation. Why deal with email, phones, internet etc? Cant you do that at home? The idea is to relax and get away from it all. Unless its an emergency leave it alone. Its amazing to me that people cant let go.
What's even more amazing are people who get all bent out of shape because someone doesn't do things the way they do them.

Old December 28th, 2010, 04:02 PM
Admiral

For any Canadians who read this ... I'm with Rogers, and on our last cruise, I purchased a voice/data plan for Caribean and Mexico. What I failed to do was purchase a voice/data plan for the US. While my data was covered during the cruise ... I got dinged BIGTIME for the usage in Florida. Lesson learned.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old December 31st, 2010, 03:50 PM
First Mate

I am now hopelessly confused. Hubby bought a two week thing from Verizon -- it is supposed to be for phone and data. I've been all over this bb trying to find somehing that allows me to turn off roaming and can't find it -- I swear the learning curve is 15 yrs on this thing. Verizon said -- don't try making calls unless you want to pay an arm and a leg -- I figured only in an emergency, but being able to use fb would allow me to communicate with the family. I don' know if I can even do that -- I think data may be just emails and texts (now, I suppose I have to input all the emails if I can't use fb). I sure don't want to have to pay for an incoming call from some person who doesn't know or has forgotten that we are away.
Old December 31st, 2010, 05:05 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitMark View Post
Verizon also offers a sort of cruise ship data package. Just call them. It will temporarily add a $29 per month fee (prorated) to your bill. Just take it off when you come back. If you don't purchase it, you will have to turn your roaming off or be charged a billion dollars a minute for data you don't even care about.

All you want is to be able to receive and send texts, emails, and calls through your phone. You do not want to browse the internet through your phone. You'll never get a signal strong enough to do that anyway.

Get the package and the ship's tower will send you a verizon signal whenever you're at sea. They seem to turn it off at port. At that time you will only get calls if you have a global phone anyway.

If you want to browse the internet, use the computers in their computer lounges. It's usually about .65 cents a minute or $35 an hour. Checking your email, checking into facebook and doing some quick browsing should cost you between 7 and 10 dollars. Relaxing and staying on the computer all day when you're supposed to be vacationing will be 40 or 50 bucks to your seapass card.
I have the verizon pkg. Your post has helped. If I'm on the ship, can I get and make calls without horrendous extra charges? Verizon said we could do fb, but you tend to indicate that would require browsing -- it sure would have been nice to have received a pamphlet on this.
Old December 31st, 2010, 05:41 PM
Familiar Face

You can browse. But it will be expensive. Why do that when you can just use the cafe computers for 10 bucks, check in with the family and see what your charges are as soon as you log off, rather than wait to get your bill a month after you've gotten home.

The cruise ship package is basically for phone, text and emails. It will be a set price added to your bill, you'll know what to expect and you won't have to control how many texts and emails you send or how many phone calls you make. It will be unlimited use once you have that package. Just not browsing data.

It does NOT cover browsing, although Verizon will be pleased to provide you with all the bandwidth you like.

I'm not sure where the roaming preferences are on iPhone. It's under System/Network on a Droid. In either case, just put it in Airplane mode. It will do the same thing.

But if you're paying for the cruise ship package ... you don't have to turn off roaming, since you've paid extra to use your roaming function without getting slapped. The signal your cruise ship will feed you is not strictly a Verizon signal. It's a roaming signal so you need your roaming turned on.
Old December 31st, 2010, 09:58 PM
First Mate

confusion persists, it seems. I spent a lengthy time on the phone with Verizon. I already have a data pkg (29.99 I think), so the international stuff was an extra 35, prorated, other wise 60 something. I was told if I text, I will pay ship rates to the ship -- 50 cents for an outgoing address, and 05 for every incoming. If I use the phone to call , it's ship's charges, again, 2.95 a minute (this seems to comport with their web page, also). Text is charged even if not opened because it has been delivered to the phone. I assume if you do not answer a phone call, you do not get charged. Basically what I purchased, for which I should receive no further charge, is email and internet. Internet should allow me to use fb, even if I do not browse. Gosh, I hope we are talking about different things here with verizon -- I don't want any nasty surprises. I am off tomorrow -- so any additional thoughts have to catch me before I go off to bed, since I have a 4 am wake up call.
Old January 1st, 2011, 12:15 AM
Familiar Face

I had no text charges on my sea pass card. So I'm not sure what that's about.

This is the coverage I had ("Cruise Ship Roaming")

It sounds like you're getting the correct thing. The extra prorated fee your paying is demonstrably less than if you did nothing and just roamed. It would be a fortune. Your phone would search and use data every second and you'd be charged for it.