CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Cozumel Excursions (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/379257-cozumel-excursions.html)

cadred January 7th, 2011 11:56 AM

Cozumel Excursions

Hi, my wife and I are taking our first cruise, a 4 night to Cozumel. We have one day to spend in Cozumel and I was hoping for some guidance on which excursions would be fun. There's an overwhelming number of things to do, but I think I narrowed it down to a few that seem the most fun for us:

The Amazing Cozumel Race / Race Fantastique
Isla de Paison via Twister
Tulum Excursion

We aren't very active people, but we tend to get bored sitting around too much, so these things seem pretty fun without being too strenuous.

Which of these (or other excursions) would be the best for us?

ps. I've posted a similar question in the Destinations forums, so please don't hate me for cross-posting :)

Mike M January 7th, 2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadred (Post 1340554)
Hi, my wife and I are taking our first cruise, a 4 night to Cozumel. We have one day to spend in Cozumel and I was hoping for some guidance on which excursions would be fun. There's an overwhelming number of things to do, but I think I narrowed it down to a few that seem the most fun for us:

The Amazing Cozumel Race / Race Fantastique
Isla de Paison via Twister
Tulum Excursion

We aren't very active people, but we tend to get bored sitting around too much, so these things seem pretty fun without being too strenuous.

Which of these (or other excursions) would be the best for us?

ps. I've posted a similar question in the Destinations forums, so please don't hate me for cross-posting :)

No hating here. :D

Based on what you've said about your activity level and likes I would go for the Tulum excursion especially if you enjoy ancient history. The walking is fairly easy if you don't have a mobility problem and the area is beautiful.

Have a great time on the cruise and enjoy your day in Cozumel no matter what excursion you choose.

Take care,
Mike

Snoozeman January 7th, 2011 01:10 PM

Tulum

Tulum will be a LONG day. Cozumel is beautiful and has so much to offer leaving it seems a shame. IF you think this will be your only opportunity to see Mayan ruins then go for it, if not I'd save it for a time that I was already on the mainland. Just my opinion. It is a beautiful place. Also the first place I ever saw a whale shark. Very up close and personal. Now they have tours just to go out and TRY to see them.

cadred January 7th, 2011 02:13 PM

It's our first and probably only time for the foreseeable future to be in the Caribbean. It's a short cruise, so it's the only stop and it only lasts 10 hours.

Tulum sounds pretty cool, but most of the day would be spent traveling back and forth, which sounds like it would be pretty tiring.

HawkeyeFLA January 7th, 2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadred (Post 1340591)
It's our first and probably only time for the foreseeable future to be in the Caribbean. It's a short cruise, so it's the only stop and it only lasts 10 hours.

Tulum sounds pretty cool, but most of the day would be spent traveling back and forth, which sounds like it would be pretty tiring.

I did Tulum in November when I was in Cozumel on the Carnival Imagination. And yes, it is a long long day, and very tiring, but so very much worth it. Great experience seeing such ancient history up close and personal. And hey, the ferry boat across to the mainland was quite and experience as well. :)

cadred January 7th, 2011 04:49 PM

Well we can only do one thing, essentially. Would Tulum be the one to do?

Snoozeman January 7th, 2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadred (Post 1340643)
Well we can only do one thing, essentially. Would Tulum be the one to do?

Probably so...the Mayan culture is interesting and Tulum is the only Mayan site located on the water. I hope they give you enough time to enjoy it.

Ron January 7th, 2011 09:20 PM

Tulum is very interesting if you're into Mayan culture and ruins. But as one poster mentioned briefly, you do take a ferry from Cozumel approx. 12 miles across to the mainland and then a bus to Tulum. The ferries are pretty high speed but can at times be a little on the rough side. Not meaning in anyway to discourage you but just trying to make sure you're aware of same.
It's hard to not have a great day in Cozumel !! ;)

Galveston January 8th, 2011 12:39 PM

2 words, cozumel jewelry. beware the demon that resides within, also known as tequila. dave the wave can confirm...

Queen of Diamonds January 9th, 2011 07:44 AM

Check out Chankanaab Park and the Dolphin experiences. We did the Royal Swim with Dolphins and it was unforgettable.
YouTube - Chankanaab National Marine Park in Isla Cozumel
We booked direct with Dolphindiscovery.com
Cozumelinsider.com has a lot of ideas for excursions too.
When in Cozumel we try to always go to Pancho's Backyard for lunch.

dude_hdt January 9th, 2011 03:02 PM

I heard that there are some Mayan ruins in the middle of Cozumel that is a self guided walking tour. I just went to the beach last month when we were in Cozumel but saw on the taxi sign as an attraction where the taxi would take you there, wait for you, then drive you back.

Can anyone tell me if this is worth it? It would be a shorter trip than an all day event like Tulum. I also have little kids who wouldn't enjoy the long journey to/from Tulum.

Ron January 9th, 2011 05:22 PM

I've been to the ruins on Cozumel, however it's been a few years . I can't even remember the name but it's nothing major-small place, best I remember. It in no way compares to Tulum. But I understand with having small kids, it would likely be very tiring to take them across to the mainland to Tulum.

cadred January 10th, 2011 03:31 PM

I think honestly, we are going to rule the Tulum excursion out, not because we don't want to go, but it's a relaxing vacation, and that sounds like it would be too much to do in one day and not leave time for much else.

cadred January 12th, 2011 10:38 AM

We booked the Amazing Cozumel Race. It seems like something unique we wouldn't have the chance to do otherwise and it will let of stretch our legs.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, it gives us a lot to look forward to on future trips!

LaWeezy January 12th, 2011 02:53 PM

Cozumel excursion

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 355

Attachment 356

Attachment 357

Attachment 358

Attachment 359Hi Everyone!
1st post on the site - usually go on the other cruise message board (to go unnamed in case of banishment on the 1st day).
Went on the NCL Dawn 12/12/10 cruise. Due to high seas and rough water we were unable to go to Cayman Islands :~( but did go to Cozumel and thank goodness as we were booked into the beautiful Nachi Cocum. It was $49 all inclusive booked before we left. Any drink you would like (they will even concoct an island special for you) and a great variety of food on the menu to pick from - we ordered 2 entrees each with no problem. If you do go ask for Carlos - he went above and beyond the call of duty!! Have fun at whatever you decide!;)