Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Default Changes are now official to the C&A program (if you care)

They have done a conversion to points. They seem to have been very fair in the conversion (I'm still D+). They have redesigned the C&A website so that you can put your personal preferences in for your gifts and possible upgrades.

I think they've done a fair job. For Floridians who took 3-4 day cruises just to boost themselves to D or D+ will not longer be able to do that. It will be one point one night and double for suites.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Sponsored Links
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:20 PM
Admiral

I care!

I had a look.

Previously I was GOLD with one more cruise for Platinum.

Now, I have 29 points. I am not sure how they came to this. I certainly have not cruised 29 nights. But I won't argue. I am now 1 nt away from Platinum.

Can you change status mid-trip? If not, I should cruise a 3/4 nite to push my status before booking my next cruise!

There is also new EMERALD and PINNACLE levels.

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM
First Mate

Diamond Plus folks under 340 nights just lost our upgraded bathroom amentities. So since I'm at 286 (not sure how they calculated that); I don't get the fancy soaps anymore. I think that's the only "take-away" for some of us.
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:44 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Gee: I went from Platinum to Emerald. I get a free gift. Oh boy! One more cruise and I'll be Diamond.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 21st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I think it was VERY FAIR!!

They basically gave everyone with a 3-4-5 night cruise and gave them seven points. That's why many have more points than they expected. It will be harder in the future as felix states to pad your level with short cruises, but those already with them did well. I wish I had done more short ones, but I don't live in FLA. I wish we had more RCCL options in Texas.

I do think this is a positive move for the future. Good job RCCL. I haven't been able to say that for a while about their marketing strategy.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 21st, 2011, 02:41 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

When I went over..the site must have crashed...too much traffic to handle I guess...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 21st, 2011, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
I think it was VERY FAIR!!

They basically gave everyone with a 3-4-5 night cruise and gave them seven points. That's why many have more points than they expected. It will be harder in the future as felix states to pad your level with short cruises, but those already with them did well. I wish I had done more short ones, but I don't live in FLA. I wish we had more RCCL options in Texas.

I do think this is a positive move for the future. Good job RCCL. I haven't been able to say that for a while about their marketing strategy.

You might be right, but I have 4 cruises, so how did they come to 28? Truth be told, I've only had 3 cruises with Royal. I have some weird cruise showing on my history from 1970 - but no details. I am not sure where/how they found that one, I guess they gave me a bonus point for not knowing what the heck that cruise was about! Oh well, I will take it.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 21st, 2011, 03:22 PM
Admiral

This is how they did it - number of credits (in my case 29) x 7 + 13. (This only starts for those with 8 credits.) That gave me 216 points. It's shy of what I was expecting but I'm satisfied. I had never worried about getting beyond D+ unless I win a lottery and live on a ship
Those who got to D+ with 3 night cruises are the biggest winners but they will have to work there way up now.

The cruise dated Nov. 5, 1970 is from those who took cruises before the C&A was started. We had been on the Song of America so we have a couple of those too.

For D+ there are now 2 gifts. You can go on your C&A personal site and complete the forms they are now providing to let them know ahead of time what your preferences are for gifts and upgrades.

It asked me which I wanted for our Allure cruise. I was able to pick a bottle of wine and a bottle of bubbly. Guess my SIL and I are going to do well

I don't miss the bathroom upgrades as I always take my own shampoos and such.

It also looks like they've taken away the extra credit for sailing 12 day or longer. (I'm not positive about that.) They are also leaving the reciprical with both Celebrity and Azamara. (They were not going to with Azamara so that changed.)

There are some Pinnicles who are complaining because the balcony discount is the same as for D+.

QUEEN - no changing mid-cruise but if you are doing a b2b you can change between the cruises.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Last edited by felix_the_cat; January 21st, 2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old January 21st, 2011, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Nope - never been on Song of America .... but I'm wondering if my mother did ..... same first initial ..... maybe I got credit for one of her sailings!

So is the same program shared between Celebrity and Royal? I did not know that!!!! We're thinkign Celebrity for our next cruise!

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 21st, 2011, 05:04 PM
Admiral

Not exactly "shared" but if you are plat or above you will get recognized at that level on Celebrity. We are elite with Celebrity but only actually have 9 credits. It will interesting to see if Celebrity follow suit.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 21st, 2011, 06:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

We are at 230 cruise credits, I did loose the bathroom amenities. Just got our first crystal block, but for some they may post pone when they get one. But overall I am pleased.
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:45 PM
Admiral

It's a good thing we made Diamond members on our Europe cruise last fall. We now have 83 credits (10 cruise credits x 7 + 13). I love the new levels and what RCI did with the levels. What I really love is I think I read somewhere that a child gets their parent's level automatically after 1 completed cruise with a parent that is Diamond level or higher. That means my daughter will be a diamond level after she takes her 1st cruise with us in 2012.

It does seem that with adding the new levels, they moved the goal line back a little. If it took 10 cruise credits to become Diamond before, that means that 10 cruise of 7 nights would be 70 points, but to make diamond now it is 80 points. So it looks like they did move the goal line back a little, I didn't really look at the points vs. cruise credits at the other levels to compare.

Regardless, I and my wife both were given 83 points and maintained our diamond level. So I am very happy!

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old January 21st, 2011, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I was able to get in a while ago...surprisingly, I saw I have not been on RCI since 2000!

They had a cancelled cruise on my list..my conversion went form 52-377. I am Platinum..I have a long way to go...need an RCI fix!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 21st, 2011, 08:03 PM
First Mate

I think it kind of stinks that they took away the bath room amenities; I mean how much can that really cost them and technically they "took away" something a lot of us enjoyed. I've think the extra gift in the cabin is a good trade, but still - they should advertise this as 100% making it better when technically they did pull back one thing.

I've never gotten the "block" as RoyalChump mentioned. My 30th cruise they "forgot" to give it to me and my Allure cruise next month was supposed to be #40. I think they will not honor that crystal block anymore; another take-away.
Old January 21st, 2011, 09:01 PM
First Mate

So since 9AM this morning to 6PM tonight, RCL has modified the benefits for diamond plus. When they launched the program this morning they listed "Upgraded Bathroom Amenities" (a previous benefit prior to the conversion) for those passengers with 340 credit points or more. Thereby, "removing" a benefit for any Diamond Plus member under 340.

At 6PM the benefit for the "Upgraded Bathroom Amenities" has completed disappeared from the site; so the benefit is completely removed. I called C&A desk to inquire and they had no idea about the benefit to begin with and why it was changed then removed. Seems to me that if the line is going to advertise that they "haven't taken anything away"; they should really do a detailed review of their own program before making such a statement.

Overall - it's a small thing and yes the new feature of an additional welcome gift is awesome; but from a consumer perspective - don't say one thing then do another.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:00 AM
Admiral

I'm not in the least bit surprised. That's what RCL does best - give and take with more take than give.

While I don't use them, never think of it to be honest, as I always take my own, in having this conversation I realize how much weight I could leave behind if I didn't have to take all of my own. Oh well, for me nothing has changed.

There was such a list yesterday, I really only looked at what was most important to me. I should have printed them out

Oh yea - forgot - I should have received my block on my upcoming Allure cruise but have no expectations of recieving it now. They missed me on my 20th too. I also didn't get baggage tags.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Blueliner, maybe its changed now, but I remember reading somewhere before that chidren (after the first cruise) attained their parent's status ... but after they become of age ..... they revert to status based on their own cruise level. I remember reading this at CC last summer, and one woman was very upset that now that her daughter had turned 18 or 21, she had fallen from D+ to platinum. Maybe its changed now, dunno.

I remember when Royal used to send gifts for Gold members too. I think my mom had 2 or 3 cruises with Royal .... and they send her a nice silver photo frame. Even in our early cruising days, after our 2nd cruise, royal sent us something, but it might just have been luggage tags.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueliner View Post
It's a good thing we made Diamond members on our Europe cruise last fall. We now have 83 credits (10 cruise credits x 7 + 13). I love the new levels and what RCI did with the levels. What I really love is I think I read somewhere that a child gets their parent's level automatically after 1 completed cruise with a parent that is Diamond level or higher. That means my daughter will be a diamond level after she takes her 1st cruise with us in 2012.

It does seem that with adding the new levels, they moved the goal line back a little. If it took 10 cruise credits to become Diamond before, that means that 10 cruise of 7 nights would be 70 points, but to make diamond now it is 80 points. So it looks like they did move the goal line back a little, I didn't really look at the points vs. cruise credits at the other levels to compare.

Regardless, I and my wife both were given 83 points and maintained our diamond level. So I am very happy!
Your daughter will only be diamond until she's 18 unless she happens to achieve that status on her own prior to that. I believe they are doing that with children for the sake of continuity while travelling together as a family.

I am one of those who don't believe anyone should receive status based on someone else. I understand why the do it for partners as you can't invite a wife or husband without their mate, but that's it.

With the new system however, everyone will have to earn their own by points. That is going to make it awkward for some though. I'm not sure it's been thought completely through.

The biggest winner in these changes are those who have done 3 and 4 day cruises and they are the biggest complainers as well.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:07 PM
Admiral

I'm happy with the new program. I went from 13 credits to 104 points, and will have 118 points after our Allure cruise in a suite. It makes Diamond Plus easier for us to attain now too.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 02:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
I'm happy with the new program. I went from 13 credits to 104 points, and will have 118 points after our Allure cruise in a suite. It makes Diamond Plus easier for us to attain now too.
I really like the new changes, as they are much more fair to those of us whom take longer cruises. My South America Transatlantic cruise in April will get me 28 points (14 night x 2) for being in a JR Suite!! This means I will go from Gold to Emerald!!!
Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkbii View Post
I really like the new changes, as they are much more fair to those of us whom take longer cruises. My South America Transatlantic cruise in April will get me 28 points (14 night x 2) for being in a JR Suite!! This means I will go from Gold to Emerald!!!
I didn't think Jr Suites doubled, but I may be wrong or thinking of concierge access. Great for you if it does.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoozeman View Post
I didn't think Jr Suites doubled, but I may be wrong or thinking of concierge access. Great for you if it does.

JR will give double points but not concierge access.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 24th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Welcome Newcomer

It is amazing the "SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT" expressed by people.

RCCL does not have to offer a Reward Program at all. Who cares if they felt the need to change it - they still are give something for free - get over it.
Old January 24th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp229 View Post
It is amazing the "SENSE OF ENTITLEMENT" expressed by people.

RCCL does not have to offer a Reward Program at all. Who cares if they felt the need to change it - they still are give something for free - get over it.

I see no sense of entitlement on here. Just explanations, questions and opinions.

Perhaps you need t borrow my glasses and re-read.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 24th, 2011, 09:44 AM
First Mate

Cool Sense of entitlement

dp229, you are correct that RCCL does not have to offer a Reward Program. However, if other cruise lines did and they did not many passengers would be cruising other lines. RCCL has one of the better Reward Programs. After reaching certain levels, especially Diamond Plus, you look forward to coming back to the same cruise line to get some extra perks that others do not get and to be treated special for a week. Many of us who cruise a lot have been to the same destinations many times and sometimes do not even get off, we just like the cruise experience and the extra perks that come with it.
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15
Old January 24th, 2011, 12:45 PM
First Mate

Wow dp229, I believe you're really off-base with your comment. Like any service industry; reward and loyalty programs are offered to thank their consumers for their continued support. More than 70% of Royal Caribbean's annual income is directly related to repeat cruisers. These programs help retain those individuals and differentiate them from competitors. When the line establishes a base for how they are going to reward you for years of patronage then they modify that method, many of us are going to have questions / topics for discussion. No different than if my preferred airline suddenly decided to revoke free upgrades to first class for frequent fliers; I'd probably switch airlines to one who honored that for frequent fliers.
Old January 24th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Admiral

I"m very happy with the new program. I received an email from the CEO today informing me that I have been upgraded from Diamond Plus to the Pinnacle Club. Now I'm really excited about my upcoming cruise on the Allure in October.
Old January 25th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2 View Post
I"m very happy with the new program. I received an email from the CEO today informing me that I have been upgraded from Diamond Plus to the Pinnacle Club. Now I'm really excited about my upcoming cruise on the Allure in October.
How many cruises points did you have prior to this email? There seem to be a number of D+ who have received that email (not me ) but I'm curious as to the criteria they have set for that.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 25th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville View Post
You might be right, but I have 4 cruises, so how did they come to 28? Truth be told, I've only had 3 cruises with Royal. I have some weird cruise showing on my history from 1970 - but no details. I am not sure where/how they found that one, I guess they gave me a bonus point for not knowing what the heck that cruise was about! Oh well, I will take it.
I have one of those mysterious 1970 cruises. I think it might be from my Sovereign cruise in '89 that is not showing. I called about it and they said I would need proof of the '89 cruise. I saved so many of the seapass cards but I havent really looked for that one. If it ever gets to the point that I need a few more for diamond + then I will go on a search for it. As it stands now I will be plain old diamond for quite awhile.
Old January 25th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Admiral

I think for me it has to be a cruise of my mom's. I will see her tomorrow and ask if she sailed Song of America. I know she went on Soverign, and it may well have been in 89. Because I sailed Soverigin in 1999 and its showing on my account.

Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991