Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default Freedom of the Seas flooding

This fiasco was on our local news last night....Oddly, they did not mention the ship..on twitter and FB, I found it was Freedom of the Seas..

WHDH-TV - Fall River couple speaks on ruined cruise vacation

Do you think RCI compensated them enough? The buzz on FB is electric..wonder if RCI, is moderating the hubub...

Edited to add...interestingly, the video is now unavailable on the FB page..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; January 22nd, 2011 at 09:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Admiral

No ,not at all
Old January 22nd, 2011, 08:30 PM
Admiral

I just went bak to FB to read all the ocmments and found a response from RCI..guess they were monitoring the situation.....kudo's

Royal Caribbean International Jess, we're sorry to see this was part of your experience. We would really like to put you in touch with the right member of our customer service team. Please send us your contact information.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:18 PM
Admiral

They should have got 100% and then some for the aggravation. I saw a bit about this on the dark side but didn't have time to read it.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
This fiasco was on our local news last night....Oddly, they did not mention the ship..on twitter and FB, I found it was Freedom of the Seas..

WHDH-TV - Fall River couple speaks on ruined cruise vacation

Do you think RCI compensated them enough? The buzz on FB is electric..wonder if RCI, is moderating the hubub...

Edited to add...interestingly, the video is now unavailable on the FB page..
On who's fb page?

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Admiral

I read the article from the link. I truly understand the couple's disappointment and frustration with their cruise being interrupted as drastically as this. But I don't see how this could ruin your "whole" cruise. Things happen, RCI didn't do this on purpose nor could they predict or prevent it. Water pipes bust without warning everywhere. This happened on the 3rd night so after everything and everyone is moved and cleaned up, they still had a few days left. Maybe 1 whole day of disappointment at most. I am sure RCI cleaned all their clothes, dress blues and all. This could have happened at any resort, hotel or even their own home. They were still fed, entertained and safe. 50% off another cruise isn't bad but yes they could have offered more like OBC OR the same inside cabin cruise free. Just my opinion and yes we have had things/interruptions happen on a few of our cruises but we went with the flow, fixed the situation and moved on. We were still on vacation. Make lemonade. JMHO

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:24 PM
Admiral

The page is called, fans of Royal Caribbean.....There is a blurb on the right side of the page,in a block, where Jess calls this a tragedy..Obvioulsy this young man has not experienced a real tragedy,if he considers this one.. so I disagree with his choice of words..

Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:32 PM
Admiral

Going to play devils advocate for a minute..I think this discussion will be interesting...what needs to happen to a vacationer, when, it would be ok to stop going with the flow?

Everyone has a different level of tolerance. What floats off my back, may make the next person, lose his cool.

When there is a legitimate situation which impacts your enjoyment of something, why can't it just be ok to be mad/upset?

I do want to hear how this is handled,and if there is an upgrade in satisfcation to the couple.

Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:33 PM
Admiral

Perhaps he considers it a tragedy because he has returned from Iraq for what I would call a horrendous vacation.

I don't care about "s... happens". That's just an excuse for poor service. No, it wasn't RCL's fault that it happened (although I'm not sure I would accept that - after all they should be doing full maintenance) but what happened after is their fault. There was no excuse for a 30 minute delay in responding. That's just stupid. They're response is the issue - and their response, as so often happens, is crappy until it's made public - then the do something.

There are far too many people making excuses for big corporations that rob them blind in one way or another. That's why the can get away with it.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:45 PM
Admiral

This soldier has seen his share of truly horrible situations while serving our country, this I am sure of...I just thought the word used, was an odd choice for this particular circumstance..

Old January 22nd, 2011, 10:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well I would find it upsetting and inconvenient but there is no way that could be called a tragedy- that is just hyperbole. What does his his coming home from Iraq have to do with anything, other than he is using that to try to sensationalize the story and milk it for sympathy? They should have been compensated by having their belongings cleaned or replaced, perhaps a small gesture of goodwill ,and that is it. I do not understand why they think they should get this big public apology and a free cruise or $$$.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:59 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

How terrible, and we're just reading about this now, article said it was a fall cruise?

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Admiral

a little off topic ..

We're a house full of sickies now .... and as I was just applying some hand sanitizer, I thought forward (don't know how I made the association) to the hand santizer stations that you now see on a cruise ship, and I though forward to our March cruise - hoping we stay healthy before and during our cruise (we were not so lucky the last time!).

Anyhow, I got to wondering about some of those ships that have had mass cases of novovirus. I know its not the ship's fault, but does the ship do anything in the way of compensation. I'd feel terrible if my holiday were ruined for such a reason .... but my heart would go out to those who scrimp and save for this once in a lifetime vacation.

Just curious. Does the ship do anything or is it just a case of "too bad, so sad, not our fault"

Royal Oasis of the Seas - 2013 {pending}
Disney Fantasy - 2013
Disney Dream - 2012
Royal Freedom of the Seas - 2011
HAL Eurodam - 2011
Royal Grandeur of the Seas - 2010
Carnival Dream - 2010
Grand Princess - 2002
Royal Voyageur of the Seas - 2000
Royal Sovereign of the Seas - 1999
Carnival Ecstacy - 1991
Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:54 AM
Admiral

To the best of my knowledge, there has been no compensation for this reason...Large groups anywhere...in hotels, resorts,schools, etc are petri dishes for the virus...For people diagnosed on board,they must remain in their rooms for a period of time. The ships do their absolute best to prevent the situation from getting worse...

Before you board you fill out a form as to health issues..one can wonder, how many people knowingly board ill.

Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Actually, yes, I have heard they give comp. at least for those who ask for it. If your down for 2 days you get 2 days etc. I think the catch is - you only get it if you ask for it.

I always carry hand sanitizer and wash my hands. I don't touch the bannisters on the stairs or the buttons on the elevators. At least those are some of the things I do to try to protect myself.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:35 PM
Admiral

I understand the tragedy. Two points, yes I'm sure they used it to get attention. But think about it - he has just come back from Iraq where he say no doubt, a lot of horrid things. Then he comes home expecting smooth sailings for a trip I assume was planned while he was away and helped get him through (gave him something else to think about.) Then this goes wrong, no it wasn't tragic was it was a terrible thing to happen to something he had been looking so forward to while risking his life.

We can all blow things out of proportion when something else has happened previously that we didn't react to. Sometimes we are reacting to what happened before and just using this event to finally be able to blow.

Anyway, I still don't think they were treated fairly, and yes I do think they were entitled to a refund.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old January 23rd, 2011, 12:56 PM
Admiral

Then there's others who got disrupted according to the video, not as severely, but disrupted with the flow of water down the halls and likely wet cabin floors.
Old January 23rd, 2011, 02:57 PM
Admiral

We were on a cruise last month .On the third night we awoke to a piercing sound ,the smoke detector .We went into the hallway to see if it was in other cabins as well and it was not .We were just about to contact the front desk (it was 1AM) and then all of a sudden water began to fall from the ceiling .We began to remove our possessions away from the water but we were not totally successful .I literally ran to the desk .Somebody came back with me and said there was a leak in the pipes .My wife and I grabbed as much as we could and went into the hallway .Approximately 30 minutes later we were given another cabin to spend the rest of the night but we were unable to sleep due to the bed (I had a special bed in the original cabin for medical purposes) and due to the aggravation .In the morning I went back to the original cabin and the entire ceiling was on the floor .We were then moved to another cabin and our clothing from the closets and our luggage was brought there .The new cabin was much smaller than the original cabin and we had not much room to store our suitcases .We were both very emotionally distressed.