CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Royal Caribbean introducing its first Single Cabins (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/379859-royal-caribbean-introducing-its-first-single-cabins.html)

Kuki January 25th, 2011 01:00 PM

Royal Caribbean introducing its first Single Cabins

Royal Caribbean's first cabins for solo travelers coming by June - USATODAY.com

3 single cabins, isn't much, but its a start. Guess the success of NCL's solo cabins is making the other cruise lines a bit crazy :)

Queen of Oakville January 25th, 2011 01:10 PM

So what do you do now, if you want to cruise solo, pay a 2-pax fare?

I've seen a few posts here about people looking for cabin mates. I could not imagine cruising with a stranger. Kudos to those who can..

I saw elsewhere where someone posted about a cruise where the cruiseline paired you up with a roomie. Do they still do that?

felix_the_cat January 25th, 2011 01:41 PM

No pairing up anymore. I think it became too big an issue.

Most of the lines charge 200% for a single although they do run specials once in awhile at 100 - 150 - 175%. Very expensive to sail solo. I could never bunk with a stranger though. It would make me so uncomfortable. But that's me.

This new idea allows two questions - are they going to charge a single rate without the extra, and will it cause them to pull the specials they run for singles at times?

I wonder when they are going to put the prices out. I have a feeling they will sell within five minutes.

Trip January 25th, 2011 01:54 PM

I was able to see a fellow Cruisemate's solo cabin on the Epic, and, I though it was great. They happened to get an amazing rate,like around $800.00 or so,and worth every penny....wonder what it is now!

Other lines are paying attention!! Imagine being just one of 3 to get to book it...like winning the lottey!

ViviW January 25th, 2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix_the_cat (Post 1346204)
Most of the lines charge 200% for a single although they do run specials once in awhile at 100 - 150 - 175%. Very expensive to sail solo.

This new idea allows two questions - are they going to charge a single rate without the extra, and will it cause them to pull the specials they run for singles at times?

I wonder when they are going to put the prices out. I have a feeling they will sell within five minutes.

Have I been missing RCL single specials? I sometimes cruise on my own and haven't seen any RCL single specials. Two summers ago I got an amazing deal on a Med cruise--DH couldn't get away so I went on my own--at 110%. Even the C&A gal was shocked. I've never seen any specials for singles besides those in the Tuesday sale which has the reduced single supplement (150-175%). Please let me know where to find them, I'd love to save a bit of cash on my next solo cruise because you are right, it is very expensive sailing solo.

Donna January 26th, 2011 11:54 AM

It is about time, I think they will see a demand for these, but only 3?

Queen of Diamonds January 26th, 2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen of Oakville (Post 1346193)
So what do you do now, if you want to cruise solo, pay a 2-pax fare?

I've seen a few posts here about people looking for cabin mates. I could not imagine cruising with a stranger. Kudos to those who can..

I saw elsewhere where someone posted about a cruise where the cruiseline paired you up with a roomie. Do they still do that?

Holland America still have a room-mate matching program. If they fail to find anyone to share with you then you only pay single fare.

Anjipan February 9th, 2011 03:43 PM

Hi,

I have stayed in one of NCL Epic's cabins when I went to Mexico and Honduras in November. RCL are providing double rooms for 100 more than the price based on two sharing for the 14th Feb cruise on the Brilliance. I booked myself on that in consideration of the limited availability of single cabins/low cost sole occupancy. Have also booked to go back on the Epic in November around the Med.

Dinkydoo March 31st, 2011 06:57 PM

Carnival Cruises used to do that. They called it "Guaranteed Share". I always got paired with great females, and we did our own things, but always had someone to turn to if either needed.....like trips together or a mate to talk to.

Manuel April 1st, 2011 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1346495)
It is about time, I think they will see a demand for these, but only 3?

It's a start, I am sure that the number of cabins will increase.

TM

AF1 April 1st, 2011 07:18 AM

It is a start and I am happy Royal has caught up with the other cruise lines.

Snoozeman April 1st, 2011 08:56 AM

RCI experimented with single specials a few years ago, but I haven't seen many, if any, since. I wish they would.

Dave the Wave April 5th, 2011 04:14 PM

I think it is a great idea. I have cruised RCI and Carnival before solo. It is always less than the price for two since you only pay port charges, taxes and fees for one. SO it is less. My next cruise is $637 for two in my OV cabin or $488 if I go by myself. Still two fares but one set of port charges taxes and fees. In this case amount to $149PP and the fare was $249 PP. SO I pay $249 X 2 plus $149 by myself and $249 X2 plus $149 X 2 if I find a broad to go with me. :cool: