Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:26 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Radiance of the Seas

Does anyone know if the Radiance actually going in the Tracy Arm in Alaska as far as Sawyer Glacier or is the ship too big. I have read that Holland ships can go all the way in. I'm looking at a cruise that has to be booked right away. Any help?
Sponsored Links
Old January 25th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I don't know for sure, but when I was on Star Princess which is much larger than Radiance and we got all the way in. They had said, it was the first time that year that it was possible, absolutely beautiful day....

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmbreez3 View Post
Does anyone know if the Radiance actually going in the Tracy Arm in Alaska as far as Sawyer Glacier or is the ship too big. I have read that Holland ships can go all the way in. I'm looking at a cruise that has to be booked right away. Any help?
Thanks, I am used to Holland going right up to the glaciers in Glacier Bay NP. What time of year were you there. We would be going second week in June.
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We were there in July...

Message Boards Moderator
Old January 28th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We were on the Radiance in May 2009 and got so close to the glacier you were freezing. Saw it calf many times. Pack some gloves.
Old January 29th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Captain

I can only go by what the Captain of the Radiance did for us last Sept. in Hubbard and it was FANTASTIC! He deliberately got us there ahead of Holland so we would have more viewing and he got as close as we cared to be. Saw a section calve that was almost the height of the entire exposed glacier.

I don't think any of the ships they allow to view the glaciers are "too big" so have a GREAT time, Robbie
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Hope they get the ship fixed by then.

Take a look at Events at sea 2011 web site which is reporting a propulsion problem with this ship. Until this problem is addressed I don't know how close they will be able to get. They may need to get this ship in dry dock much sooner than later for the saftey of all aboard. Ed

Web address : Events at Sea 2011