Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 27th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Question Transatlantic

Hello!

I'm new here.

We are veteran cruisers but will have our first transatlantic cruise in May on the Jewel, with stops in the Azores, France, and finishing in Harwich then spending a few days in London.

Does anyone have any advice? I like lazy sea days, and we are not worried about being bored.

Also, any suggestions for getting from Harwich to London?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2011, 03:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Harwich to London

I would take the train to London from Harwich. It is about 1 hr and 19 minutes but it would be nice to see the countryside and the cows are the size of city buses don't be suprised. Also make sure to have a baked potato in England they are unreal. Don't miss these sites London eye, Westminster abby, Tower of London, and Buckinham palace changing of the guard.
Also for using a credit card there. Capitol one "Venture One" credit card
is the only card I use there because there is no annual fees and it does not charge a conversion fee. Which on other credt cards charge 3% - 5%. You must have excellent credit to get the Venture one card. For cash in British pounds use the ATM's they will give you the best rate. Stay away from the
money exchange places (which are everywhere) the rates they give our awful. Right now you would get 200 GBP for 300 US dollars that's not bad.
For hotels in the London area I use hotels.com | Hotel Bookings & Reservations Hotel Offers & Discounts Cheap Hotels Rates Lowest Hotel Rates Guaranteed!
I really like that you can pick the niegborhoods and bed and breakfasts are the way to go. Hyde park, Westminster, Victoria are nice areas.

National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables

The train station is right across the street from the Cruise Terminal and will be very easy to find.

Use code HPQ for Harwich International trainstation and use code LST
for London Liverpool station. First class 13 euros and regular 8 euros.
You can only book 12 weeks ahead for you dates you may want to wait
a couple more weeks or by train tickets there.

Have a great trip and please give us a detailed report on how the trip went when you get back. Thanks Ed
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you very much.

I had been to London once before. I didn't have a potato, but did learn a biscuit is a cookie!
Old February 1st, 2011, 09:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default More

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belladonna1990 View Post
Thank you very much.

I had been to London once before. I didn't have a potato, but did learn a biscuit is a cookie!
That's right. Do you also know mush peas are just regular peas?
Now you have two options for a glass of beer. A british pint or a glass they call a schooner. Brits hate it because it Australlian. Ed
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:04 AM
Admiral

Another option...When we cruised out of Harwich we took SilverFleet car service from our Paddington Hilton hotel and back. DH wasn't too sure about the train because of our luggage and his back & knees. It was 98 pounds for the 2 of us r/t and we stopped for water/soda and were very comfortable and met fellow cruisers. If you google them, you can emial from the website. We did it all by email. We also used them to get to Southampton for our Transatlantic. Tony Hayter, owner, met us at Heathrow and drove us in pouring rain. It was an experience.

I agree about the Capital One. We have used it for over 5 years now and just bumped up the the Venture. It is $59/year but that's the card we use for miles so it will be worth it.

We didn't see the changing of the guard, it was every other day but we saw the changing of the calvary and had a front row seat. Also loved the Buckingham Palace tour.

Enjoy!

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old February 8th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser View Post
Another option...When we cruised out of Harwich we took SilverFleet car service from our Paddington Hilton hotel and back. DH wasn't too sure about the train because of our luggage and his back & knees. It was 98 pounds for the 2 of us r/t and we stopped for water/soda and were very comfortable and met fellow cruisers. If you google them, you can emial from the website. We did it all by email. We also used them to get to Southampton for our Transatlantic. Tony Hayter, owner, met us at Heathrow and drove us in pouring rain. It was an experience.

I agree about the Capital One. We have used it for over 5 years now and just bumped up the the Venture. It is $59/year but that's the card we use for miles so it will be worth it.

We didn't see the changing of the guard, it was every other day but we saw the changing of the calvary and had a front row seat. Also loved the Buckingham Palace tour.

Enjoy!
Thank you Teresa. I have concerns about taking the train because of our luggage and we will be getting in on a weekday morning, so I'll bet there will be a lot or commuters.

Will check on Sliverfleet.

Thanks!