Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:36 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,391
Default Royal says they made a mistake.....Hmmmm

On Jan. 24th I received an e-mail from Adam Goldstein President and CEO of Royal Caribbean infroming me that,"because of my loyality to Royal Caribbean that my current membersahip status of Diamond Plus is being elevated to Pinnacle Club. Thank You for your continued support." It was signed Sincerly yours, Adam M. Goldstein President and CEO Royal Caribbean International.

On Jan. 29th I received an e-mail from Betsy O'Rourke Senior Vice President of Marketing saying that "we regret to inform you that there was a "mistake made" in inviting me into the Pinnacle Club and we sincerly apologize for this computer error." In the original e-mail it said I was being elevated because of my loyality not because I had 100 cruise credits or that I had achieved 700 cruise points. It was strictly on loyality. I was elevated then demoted.

I'm just wondering if anyone else got that "Dear John" letter. I'm also wondering if I should cry foul or just let it go. Hmmmm.
__________________
Quantum of the Seas 12/2014
Oasis OTS 6/2015
Serenade OTS 12/2015
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:42 PM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: SPRING, TX
Posts: 327
Default

Did you have 100 cruise credits before the change?
__________________
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 7/6/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 9/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 9/21/14
OASIS OF THE SEAS - 10/14/14
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 11/4/15
NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS - 1/11/15
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 31st, 2011, 09:54 PM
Phil&Liz's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,979
Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2 View Post

I'm also wondering if I should cry foul or just let it go. Hmmmm.
Official letterhead with postmarked envelope?...I would request it be honored. Their mistake.

Not sure I would do more than a firm request over it, tho.
__________________
The Original Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 31st, 2011, 10:04 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 18,199
Default

My feeling is that since the supposed corrected letter did not come from the President that you should have a letter from him and not from the other person .
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:20 PM
Kuki's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Right here :)
Posts: 22,384
Send a message via AIM to Kuki
Default

Regardless of letters, I suppose the real question should be which level you should be at according to the number of days you've sailed with RCI.

Would you really want to be elevated to a level you didn't "earn"? :razz:
__________________
C U @ C,
Kuki
CruiseMates' Staff Writer
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 31st, 2011, 11:21 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,391
Default

I did not have 100 cruise credits before the change but I did have enough to be in Diamond Plus. It would be nice to have something on RCI letterhead but everything came by e-mail and I do have those. I thought it strange too that a Senior Vice President can trump the President and CEO of a company.

My feeling is that they should honor it too. I think I will make a firm request but I will not "bring the house down" over it. My D+ status is good.
__________________
Quantum of the Seas 12/2014
Oasis OTS 6/2015
Serenade OTS 12/2015
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:39 AM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

Exactly how many credit do you have? If you don't have 700 then you haven't earned it. Mistakes are made all the time - retractions happen. Why would you even consider complaining.

I lost a lot of days in the conversion and I'm not complaining.

How can you make a "firm request" for something you don't have a right to?

Sheeesh
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old February 1st, 2011, 02:42 PM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,874
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

if it is officially revoked by the cruise line I think that is the final word.

It obviously happened to a number of people and had to be corrected. Unfortunately, Royal Caribbean has had a hard time nailing down their loyalty program and I really wish they would get it pinpointed.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old February 1st, 2011, 06:52 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,391
Default

Thanks everyone. Input is what I was after. I have in the past been afforded upgrades by Royal that were consided perks. At first glance that is what this appeared to be. I have 302 Points according to the conversion chart. I know there are some who have lost and some who have gained, I guess I fall somewhere in the middle. Thanks again everyone for your responses.
__________________
Quantum of the Seas 12/2014
Oasis OTS 6/2015
Serenade OTS 12/2015
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:22 AM
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 405
Default

Looks like you lost your "upgraded bathroom amenities" along with "dinner with an officer" too as these were perks for Diamond Plus members prior to the conversion; now you need 340 cruise points to earn "back" those perks.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:31 AM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,874
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

Yeah - sorry, I didn't mean to sound harsh. I just meant that I think it would be fruitless to go up against the big, faceless corporation when they already gave out a final word on the subject - "We made a mistake - sorry."

It really does bother me when any cruise line changes their loyalty program and it knocks people down the rungs. A loyalty program is a promise regarding compensation for every cruise you take. To change that promise after the fact seems unfair. They say they grandfathered people in as appropriate, but you say you lost out. I don't like that.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

I lost a lot of days due to longer cruises. I would be well over 300 but it just isn't worth arguing about. I've already done some moving about. I realized a week or two ago I haven't been on an RCL ship for 2 years. I am scheduled at the end of February but that's a seminar so .................
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,874
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Interview with Royal Caribbean Reveals Much!

Lisa Bauer gives up great Royal caribbean inside information. if you have not read this yet you must!

Royal Advantage Enhancements "Royal Enhancements" puts Royal Caribbean on a hot streak, and Senior VP Lisa Bauer spills the latest strategies for singles, new ships, deployments, technology and staffing. Go> Feb. 02, 2011

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:06 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,391
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMember View Post
Looks like you lost your "upgraded bathroom amenities" along with "dinner with an officer" too as these were perks for Diamond Plus members prior to the conversion; now you need 340 cruise points to earn "back" those perks.
Guess I'll just have to keep cruising until I get "back" to the Pinnacle Club. As my youngest son says, "It's all good".
__________________
Quantum of the Seas 12/2014
Oasis OTS 6/2015
Serenade OTS 12/2015
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old February 4th, 2011, 12:52 AM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 59
Default

Seadog2 - I'd be disappointed if Goldstein emailed that I was Pinnacle (something we will never obtain on our own) only to be told later it was a mistake. I'm not sure what "crying foul" would entail but perhaps a brief (and friendly) reply email back to Goldstein expressing your loyalty and disappointment might, and I stress might, get some small compensation on your next cruise, perhaps the upgraded toiletries for that cruise. If not, it might well make you feel better to let Goldstein, et al. know that you are disappointed in them, that they could have handled this better, etc.

FYI - I'm not saying anyone should get something they don't deserve, I'm just saying that perhaps RCI should have treated this very loyal cruiser a little better in this process because it was their error.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old February 4th, 2011, 03:19 AM
Paul Motter's Avatar
Administrator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: in my office!
Posts: 10,874
Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default

VivW...

NO doubt I agree with you, the should treat people better. But I have seen Royal and other companies fall down in customer relations before and it doesn't surprised me.

HOwever - if ENOUGH people do it they have ben known to knuckle under and make the changes. such as the onboard charges a few years back, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #17 (permalink)  
Old February 4th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
VivW...

NO doubt I agree with you, the should treat people better. But I have seen Royal and other companies fall down in customer relations before and it doesn't surprised me.

HOwever - if ENOUGH people do it they have ben known to knuckle under and make the changes. such as the onboard charges a few years back, etc.
Yes, we too have been greatly disappointed by several companies customer relations policies, especially as applied to loyal customers. Don't even get me started about Sony products! But I do believe that if enough people make companies aware of their shortcomings when it comes to dealing with loyal/repeat customers it can sometimes make a difference. The example that jumps to mind is RCI's changing its position re Diamond members and the CL. It is true that D members didn't get back the CL but RCI did backtrack and put together a D cocktail party nightly. The D nightly cocktail parties aren't even remotely close to having access to the CL but it showed they can be persuaded!
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old February 4th, 2011, 02:16 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

Oh weel, my DH got demoted in the mail yesterday. From D+ to Gold with one stroke of the pen pile of idiots there.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old February 4th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
Oh weel, my DH got demoted in the mail yesterday. From D+ to Gold with one stroke of the pen pile of idiots there.
Ouch! :o

ViviW
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:21 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

I checked - he's still D+. I figure they hired a few ppl to do a mailing and they didn't pay any attention to what they were doing. I didn't get anything myself.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #21 (permalink)  
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:37 PM
Phil&Liz's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,979
Send a message via Yahoo to Phil&Liz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
I figure they hired a few ppl to do a mailing and they didn't pay any attention to what they were doing.
All the more reason to make it right with the folks who were offered then retracted.
__________________
The Original Phil & Liz

The problem with socialism is that you eventually run out of other people's money. Margaret Thatcher

Never take an idiot travelling, you can always pick one up when you get there. Billy Connolly

I Didn't Come here and I ain't Leaving.
Willie Nelson

9/01/2013 Carnival Legend
2/16/2014 BC 7

Bill Murray
20 years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old February 5th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,391
Default

Well all of these promotions then retractions does make you wonder what's going on. DW says I should at least inquire about it. As you can tell I'm still up in the air about it.
__________________
Quantum of the Seas 12/2014
Oasis OTS 6/2015
Serenade OTS 12/2015
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old February 5th, 2011, 01:43 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

Seadog - don't get me wrong - I say inquire. I don't think you'll get anywhere but what do you have to lose? It's only a question.............
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old February 5th, 2011, 01:45 PM
felix_the_cat's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara, Canada
Posts: 1,636
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil&Liz View Post
All the more reason to make it right with the folks who were offered then retracted.
But it's not a contract. Retractions are done with advertising all the time. This is a case of no foul. I don't think it will work but I do say inquire.
__________________
Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old November 6th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,391
Default

Now that I have completed my cruise, here is what happened. Mid Feburary I did inquire about the e-mail. RCI said that some D+ members got the mailing by mistake and I was one. They were very apologetic and said I was not the only to call about the e-mail. I was satisified with that answer and I did not ask for any compesation.

About a month later I got another e-mail from RCI stating because of the mix up they were granting me 6 additional cruise credits. Well I was really happy about that.
The time came for us to cruise and we were at the peir checking in and the rep checking us in told us that we had been upgraded. We had booked a Jr. Suite orginally and our upgrade was to a Crown Loft Suite. Needless to say DW and I were very happy and the Crown Loft Suites are really very nice and accomodating.

RCI has been very good to me. They went beyond what I expected.
__________________
Quantum of the Seas 12/2014
Oasis OTS 6/2015
Serenade OTS 12/2015
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old November 6th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Trip's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 19,805
Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default

Thanks for checking back, it's always nice to hear the ending, and, in this case, a happy ending...glad you had a lofty experience at sea... What are the pros and cons if any, of this style accomodation?
__________________


Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator


Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old November 8th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: So. California
Posts: 1,391
Default

Trip, the pros are many. Special suite functions such as suite party on the helepad. Tours of the galley, bridge and backstage for all shows. Recognition for suite guests at all the shows with special resesved seating. Fruit plates, wine , snack basket, cookie dish and candies all complamentary. Priority check in and priority disembark. The overall treatment was just great. You are treated very special all over the ship.
If there was a con it would be that in the Crown Loft Suite you had to go up the stairs to get to the master bedroom which is really not a big deal since I have to go upstairs at home to get to my bedroom. I loved everything about the suite and the cruise.
__________________
Quantum of the Seas 12/2014
Oasis OTS 6/2015
Serenade OTS 12/2015
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:11 AM
momofmeg's Avatar
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 1,316
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2 View Post
Now that I have completed my cruise, here is what happened. Mid Feburary I did inquire about the e-mail. RCI said that some D+ members got the mailing by mistake and I was one. They were very apologetic and said I was not the only to call about the e-mail. I was satisified with that answer and I did not ask for any compesation.

About a month later I got another e-mail from RCI stating because of the mix up they were granting me 6 additional cruise credits. Well I was really happy about that.
The time came for us to cruise and we were at the peir checking in and the rep checking us in told us that we had been upgraded. We had booked a Jr. Suite orginally and our upgrade was to a Crown Loft Suite. Needless to say DW and I were very happy and the Crown Loft Suites are really very nice and accomodating.

RCI has been very good to me. They went beyond what I expected.

sounds like they made it up to you
__________________
Equal opportunity cruiser since 1998-4 Carnival, 4 RCI, 3 HAL, 3 Princess, 4 Celebrity, 3 NCL, 1 Disney


I have now achieved-
ONE HUNDRED DAYS ON A CRUISE SHIP!!!!!!!!!!
139 days total

Booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old November 11th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Trip's Avatar
Moderator
Admiral
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Boston
Posts: 19,805
Send a message via ICQ to Trip
Default

Seadog, now....the all important question we all want to know...drum roll please...once you got up to the loft, was there a bathroom up there as well???


So nice to hear it was a good time for you!
__________________


Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator


Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old November 12th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog2 View Post
On Jan. 24th I received an e-mail from Adam Goldstein President and CEO of Royal Caribbean infroming me that,"because of my loyality to Royal Caribbean that my current membersahip status of Diamond Plus is being elevated to Pinnacle Club. Thank You for your continued support." It was signed Sincerly yours, Adam M. Goldstein President and CEO Royal Caribbean International.

On Jan. 29th I received an e-mail from Betsy O'Rourke Senior Vice President of Marketing saying that "we regret to inform you that there was a "mistake made" in inviting me into the Pinnacle Club and we sincerly apologize for this computer error." In the original e-mail it said I was being elevated because of my loyality not because I had 100 cruise credits or that I had achieved 700 cruise points. It was strictly on loyality. I was elevated then demoted.

I'm just wondering if anyone else got that "Dear John" letter. I'm also wondering if I should cry foul or just let it go. Hmmmm.
Yes, we too received this letter and experienced all the same emotions that you did. We felt let down and felt they owed us what they had told us they were doing for us. The jury is still out on what to do...

It appears to me that more and more people are making mistakes and just by saying, oh sorry, we made a mistake, it should al be forgiven. Let me know if you come up with any answers. I really would love to know how many people actually received this letter as well.

My feeling is that, it couldn't have been that many people, so for our loyalty and their mistake, they should have honored what they said. AFter all, we were loyal and that would have made us more loyal.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2011, 340, allure, captain, caribbean, cruise, diamond, february, gay, members, mistake, points, royal, seas, single

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I made a mistake mteague Chit - Chat for Cruisers 41 August 29th, 2008 08:40 AM
Help! I'm new here and I made a mistake with my cruise Katmom Embarkation/Debarkation Ports 2 October 15th, 2007 08:57 PM
Made a mistake ronbre Ask CruiseMates Staff 3 July 11th, 2007 01:08 PM
Have I made a $450.00 mistake? Tony'sCarmela Ask CruiseMates Staff 1 April 23rd, 2007 01:06 PM
Have I made a Mistake? michelle Carnival Cruise Lines 10 August 1st, 2001 01:44 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:29 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1