Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1
Default Allure of the Seas mini-review

I just returned from a wonderful cruise 23-30 Jan 11. All I can say is wow. Royal Caribbean has got it right. The WOW factor on this ship is: how can we top ourselves. From the different neighborhoods, to the different cabins all over the ship; there is literally something for everyone on this ship. My wife and I traveled with 20 of our Church Friends. We all stayed in different cabins; some with balconies overlooking the Boardwalk, Central Park, the Ocean, and some with cabins with no balconies. It seems the cabins are layed out with a bed near the balcony or window, and next cabin has bed near the bathroom; and they alternate all the way down the corridor. We ate in MDR, Chops, Rita's Cantina, Windjammer, Solarium Bistro, Central Park Cafe, Sorrentos, Cafe Promenade, and Wipe Out Cafe. If you have any questions regarding these eating establishments just ask. We went to the following shows, Aqua Theater show, Ice Show, Chicago, Blue Planet, and Headliner Show(Motown Revue). Any questions about the shows and reserving times for the shows I will be glad to answer. We did the Zipline and Flowrider. The sports deck and pool area are great. There are four seperate pools, the kids H20 zone, and whirlpool jacuzzi's all over. We had 6,000 passengers and I never saw any whirlpool that was filled to capacity. We had late dining (8:30pm). We did Eastern Caribbean, Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Martin. The Royal Promenade had a lot going on. Alan Brooks just took over as Cruise Director; so expect him to be onboard for the next six months. He is great; Capt. Johnny just took over for Capt. Zini on this cruise; so expect him for the next six months. The touch screen Navigation screens by the elevators are wonderful. They have all the dining options and let u know when a venue is crowded or not; it also has the daily cruise compass. Truly remarkable. I know this is short; but I figure that since I just returned my mind is fresh with everything onboard; and If anyone has a question I probably can answer; or if u just want to know a little more about the ship; fire away. Glad to help.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2011, 06:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

WoW!! Sounds wonderful!!

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 07:19 PM
Admiral

It does doesn't it! One thing about these big ships is variety & choice.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Thanks AF for some really good tips. Just a question, did you pre-book any activities, or shows before you left, or were you OK just signing up once onboard, especially the water show?

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 3rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
Familiar Face

I will have a million questions, but I can't think of them right now! My kids and I hope to be on this ship in May of 2012. They are looking forward to so much of it- the DreamWorks, the carousel, the Cupcake Cupboard. I am looking foward to all of it too, but particularly the Chicago show. Was it difficult for you to fit in all the shows?

Feel free to put together a much longer and more detailed review! I'll read every word and take careful note!

Thanks! Glad you had fun!

New to Cruising- UNTIL...

Allure of the Seas- 2012!

The Crew:

Captain Mama D- 38 (Me)
First Mate- Daughter Shannon- 18
Second Mate- Daughter Jasmine- 18

and The Swab- Little Man Adam- 11
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:12 PM
First Mate

Glad to hear that you had a great vacation. We were on the Oasis on October and I just couldn't get over how well thought out the ships layout was. With over 6000 people onboard we never had a problem with crowds. I absolutely loved the zipline, hope they can roll it out on other ships. Which show was your favorite, I have seen videos of part of the Blue Planet show and it looked amazing. If you get a chance to post any pictures would like to see them.
Mariner January 8, 2012

Past Cruises:
Radiance April 2, 2011
Mariner January 9, 2011
Oasis 9 October 2010
Majesty 20 August, 2010
Mariner January 31, 2010
Adventure September 27, 2009
Explorer March 27, 2009
Monarch January 9, 2009
Liberty September 2008
Mariner June 2007
Monarch June 2006
Old February 4th, 2011, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Thanks AF for some really good tips. Just a question, did you pre-book any activities, or shows before you left, or were you OK just signing up once onboard, especially the water show?
Donna, suggest you pre book as many shows as possible online. I spoke with several guests who did not know you could prebook shows. some guests did not get into the shows because they were sold out on day one of sailing. They allow u to show up 30 min prior to shows; and ten minutes prior any open seats are let go to the public. If u are doing a group cruise; suggest online signup. We had twenty in our group and our travel agent sailed with us. He booked all shows for the group online ahead; we were glad he did. All the shows are great and not to be missed.

Go Reds
Old February 4th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaCruiserMom View Post
I will have a million questions, but I can't think of them right now! My kids and I hope to be on this ship in May of 2012. They are looking forward to so much of it- the DreamWorks, the carousel, the Cupcake Cupboard. I am looking foward to all of it too, but particularly the Chicago show. Was it difficult for you to fit in all the shows?

Feel free to put together a much longer and more detailed review! I'll read every word and take careful note!

Thanks! Glad you had fun!
It is not difficult to fit in all the shows; most shows run two or three nights; and they run two shows a night. I do suggest you book your shows online; all the shows were sold out on first day of cruise; you don't want to wait; all shows were amazing and not to be missed.

Go Reds
Old February 4th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Admiral

Thanks AF,
I will be sure to pre-book shows then...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 4th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Admiral

AF1, I'm glad that you enjoyed your cruise.

We sailed on the Allure the week before you did and we loved that ship. IT was a really fabulous cruise.

We will be on the Oasis in april 2012.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13

Booked Vision of the Seas . 2/14/2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2/21/16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Old February 4th, 2011, 11:43 PM
Captain

I enjoyed the Allure much more than I expected to BUT you have to want a "busy" week (which I did). Even tho we are in the business, none of this was a write-off. We are customers first and T/A's second. But I also wanted to experience as much as possible in case a customer asks about something in particular since I love being able to say I have done that and .......

I agree to pre-order the shows both to have a seat and to plan around any specialty dining you might want to do. I did think both the Asian and Central Park 150 were not worth the extra expense but I still love "Chop's" and the new Italian venue. Samba Grill was nice but I think they have missed a viable price point so time will tell.

Was glad to see the poster's enjoyment of the ship and I agree with posts that say it does NOT seem like there are that many people onboard (and we were on the 7 nt maiden)
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Admiral

I am on the Allure for business reasons - meetings and to see for myself.

I have taken your advise and pre-booked our shows. What about the eateries? Would you suggest pre-booking those? Although we are scheduled to eat with the rest of the TA's I usually prefer to eat early so normally change our dining time. 8:30 is way too late for me. I also want to try some of the other venues but don't want to find we can't get bookings once onboard.

If it was DH going with me I wouldn't hesitiate but since it's my SIL this time I do need to consult her and right now she's off on another cruise on the Ruby.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old February 5th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Admiral

Default Followup to Mini -Review of Allure

TIP OF THE DAY. Our group of 20 did the zipline. I was the first to go and a female in our group was last. the female hit the landing zone with her feet hanging straight down; she broke her leg in three places. Royal had to wheel her to doctors office; they took x-rays and put a cast on. She had to fly home from St. Martin; Royal did a wonderful job taking care of her. We were lucky, our travel agent was in our group. he worked with guest relations and the airlines to fly her home. Her cabin mate flew home with her to help her on the airplane. she had to fly from St. martin thru atlanta to cincinnati. The medical staff were great; her cabin steward was great(he helped get her in and out of the room; helped her with the wheel chair in the cabin). I am telling you this story for two reasons.
1. Keep you feet up if you do the zipline
2. Buy Travel Insurance; times like this is when u really need it. She has to submit all the charges to the insurance company; but she will get re-imbursed.

Go Reds
Old February 5th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Captain

I did prefer to reserve my specialty dining. Most of them were full or close to it and lunch pricing at Giovanni's was nice along with XLNT food. But this was one of the maiden voyages so am sure that had some effect.

Only night I saw Cantina full was the margarita party night.
Old February 6th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
I am on the Allure for business reasons - meetings and to see for myself.

I have taken your advise and pre-booked our shows. What about the eateries? Would you suggest pre-booking those? Although we are scheduled to eat with the rest of the TA's I usually prefer to eat early so normally change our dining time. 8:30 is way too late for me. I also want to try some of the other venues but don't want to find we can't get bookings once onboard.

If it was DH going with me I wouldn't hesitiate but since it's my SIL this time I do need to consult her and right now she's off on another cruise on the Ruby.

The one thing I can tell you is this: you will be busy on Allure; there is so much to do and see; we didn't have time to visit all the resturants; just because there are so many and time doesn't permit. Glad u booked the shows; we pre-booked chops; The best time to do a Specialty resturaunt would be day one or day six. Which would be Sunday or Thursday; these two nights; the main dining room does not serve anything special. Lobster night will be Friday; that is the second formal night.

Go Reds
Old February 6th, 2011, 03:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1 View Post
The one thing I can tell you is this: you will be busy on Allure; there is so much to do and see; we didn't have time to visit all the resturants; just because there are so many and time doesn't permit. Glad u booked the shows; we pre-booked chops; The best time to do a Specialty resturaunt would be day one or day six. Which would be Sunday or Thursday; these two nights; the main dining room does not serve anything special. Lobster night will be Friday; that is the second formal night.

Thank you. Are you D+? I understand that is a new BOGO coupon for Chops on the first night and I would like to use it. We do have a function to attend first but I could book it for later.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old February 6th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Admiral

I am not D+ but some of my friends who were with me are. They got some really good diamond coupons in their book. they got a free picture in the photo shop, that's a $19.95 savings; two for one in specialty resturaunts; I believe they got a special in Johnny Rockets too. They had use of both Diamond Lounge and Concierge lounge. The concierge lounge is located on deck 11. I went in; it is nice; it actually is deck 11 and deck 12; diamond lounge overlooks royal promenade. The luggage valet program works great; I will use that again in Dec on Freedom. Also, don't forget to have a welcome aboard picture taken before you get on ship.

Go Reds
Old February 6th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1 View Post
I am not D+ but some of my friends who were with me are. They got some really good diamond coupons in their book. they got a free picture in the photo shop, that's a $19.95 savings; two for one in specialty resturaunts; I believe they got a special in Johnny Rockets too. They had use of both Diamond Lounge and Concierge lounge. The concierge lounge is located on deck 11. I went in; it is nice; it actually is deck 11 and deck 12; diamond lounge overlooks royal promenade. The luggage valet program works great; I will use that again in Dec on Freedom. Also, don't forget to have a welcome aboard picture taken before you get on ship.
Thanks I am a D+ but it wasn't until a short while ago I realized I hadn't sailed with RCL for 2 years. Lots of other lines - including the other members of the RCL group, but not RCL.

So they have put the picture coupon back in the book. Thats great. I want to use the but one get one in Chops on the first night so I'll check on the time of our cocktail party first then make a ressie. They had taken away the JR coupon quite some time ago. I'm surprised to hear it's back again.

I don't think I'll be using the D or C lounge as my SIL is taking her first RCL cruise with me. I wouldn't consider going in without her so it looks like we'll be paying for our liquid libations. However I will take a look and see what it's about. I have clients sailing the Oasis in March but they are not D nor in a suite. I keep trying to upgrade them but the ship is sold out of all suites for their date. I also have clients going on the Allure who are D so I will be able to tell them what they are entitled to as well.

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Old February 7th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Admiral

On my 23rd Jan cruise there was a big sign at Guest Relations that said; "This cruise is completely sold out; so we regret we can not upgrade anyone"

Go Reds
Old February 10th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

A friend of mine, who is a frequent cruiser, was on the ship a couple of cruises ago.. She loved it...One thing she raved about, was the food, in the mdr..how great it was. and, it was served hot, which can be quite troublesome to achieve, with so many passengers, but, they did it consistently. When you have to blow on soup, to cool it, that's a good thing.

She also raved about the entertainment... her one complaint was. too many people...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; February 12th, 2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old February 10th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Admiral

Sounds a great ship but I don't fancy having to pre-book all these things in order to get in places, had this on our recent cruise, we just want to relax & not worry about whether we can get into places. Good reason to book but it's so organised.
Old February 10th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Admiral

I still don't like the idea, that if I don't pre-book the shows, I may miss out on them entirely...I also don't liking to have to make up your mind as to when to book it before you are even on board, then you are basically stuck to seeing then or not at all.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 10th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The Alllure might have ths same situation as the Epic..they hold a percentage of reservations to be booked onboard. I was not thrilled pre booking, but it all worked out.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 12th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
A freiend of mine, who is a frequent cruise, was on the ship a couple of cruises ago.. She loved it...One thing she raved about, was the food, in the mdr..how great it was. and, it was served hot, which can be quite troublesome to achieve, with so many passengers, but, they did it consistently. When you have to blow on soup, to cool it, that's a good thing.

She also raved about the entertainment... her one complaint was. too many people...
I have to agree with your friend; the food in MDR was very good; I had soup twice; and both times had to wait for it to cool down. All my entrees were hot. I was very impressed with everything onboard.

Go Reds
Old February 12th, 2011, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I still don't like the idea, that if I don't pre-book the shows, I may miss out on them entirely...I also don't liking to have to make up your mind as to when to book it before you are even on board, then you are basically stuck to seeing then or not at all.
I agree with you and feel your pain. I never did get to see comedy club show; it was booked entire week; waited outside one evening for the standby list. After they let standby people in, my group was still about six away. The comedy show is in a very small club; it needs to be in bigger venue; or perhaps put it in the theater one night. The theater is not used every night. But back to pre-booking shows; right now; I don't think Royal knew that all the shows were going to be that popular; plus they have so many shows in a weeks time; all the other ships you have one main show and its split up between the week; just like the ice show; the ice show runs more than two nights.

Go Reds
Old February 13th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Familiar Face

I'll be travelling with my 7 yr old grandson. Anybody have any experience with the kid's programs? Or the parades?
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Here is what I can tell you about the kids program; I went up to Adventure Ocean to check things out. We are taking our five grandkids in Dec; so wanted to know about the program; your grandson will be busy. They take them all over the ship; one day they have family day on the Boardwalk; you get face painting; clowns; baloon blowers; it is so cool, they have a Dreamworks Parade on the Royal Promenade; all the characters come right up and shake your hand. They have meet and greet and have your picture taken with the Dreamworks characters; I saw the kids parading thru the ship on a scavenger hunt. Lots to do for them; I can't wait for Dec's cruise with the grandkids. On the sailaway party; head to the Aquatheater; the Dreamworks characters are part of the party at the Boardwalk Aquatheater. It was great.

Go Reds
Old June 24th, 2011, 08:19 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thumbs up

Can you tell me anything about Rita's Cantina? I've already planned to do Samba's and I'm really interested in Rita's. Thanks for all of your info...really helps!!!
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:54 AM
Admiral

Sorry it took so long to get back to your question about Rita's. You do not have to book this. There is always room to eat here, for lunch or dinner. The cost is $6.95. It is like a chain mexican resturaunt. They bring out chips/salsa, they offer fajitas, burritos, tacos, etc. My wife and I shared the fajitas, they give u a lot. I liked the food, and did not go away hungry. They have two nights during the cruise where they have Rita's fiesta. These are the only two nights where it will be crowded. Other days it will not be too crowded; and you don't need to make advance reservations. You can if you want; but it is not necessary.

Go Reds