Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Admiral

I wouldn't put any creedence in what the Mexican authorities have to say. They will throw blame as quickly as possible on anyone who may have been within 20 miles of the victim. They did exactly that to 2 ladies who happen to be staying in the same resort where a Canadian couple were murdered. They were from Thunder Bay, ON. They had to hire a lawyer to get shuck of the mess. They didn't even know the people who were murdered but the Mexican authorities wanted to blame it on anyone but a Mexican so badly they pulled staw out thier backsides.

No, I don't believe a word they say. They sure do know how to muddy the waters and as far as RCL is concerned, the sooner they can have some sort of story to hand out to her family and the public they quicker they can wipe their hands of the whole sordid affair. I honestly don't think they are concerned with justice only with themselves.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Royal Caribbean is a $35billion company and they can only do so much. I am sure there are people in the company working on the ship who knew the singer and cared for her a great deal.

But I think we have to be clear that the singer was responsible for her own actions on shore. Like the Holloway case, it pretty much just shows you shouldn't get too close to "strangers" in far away places.

Once again - there is a big difference in cruise lines between the people working on ships and those in the corporate office. There is no way, as a company, to properly address a tragedy like this except to extend your regrets and sorrow that it happened. I wouldn't be too quick to condemn RCL for this.
Old February 11th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In this case if the story is correct..the woman had a relationship for a few weeks, when the ship ported in Cozumel. Her actions were hers alone,and the cruiseline can not be held responsible. I'ts a sad situation....

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 11th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Admiral

I'm not areally blaming RCL. But I'm not wrong is saying they want out of the situation as fast as possible. That is normal for any corporation. It's just that they are accepting what is being said and I guess I just don't accept anything authorities from Mexico say.

There really is nothing that RCL can to about any part of it. I do understand that - my beef is with the Mexicans but then everyone knows what I think of them.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:32 PM
Familiar Face

This is both incredibly sad and truly weird. I feel great sympathy for the families of these women. The confusion over whether it was the RCL employee or passenger that was hit in the head and drown or sallowed a brooch (or safety pin) seems to be bad media reporting. As I read it now it was the RCL employee who was murdered and the passenger sallowed a safety pin. It is the brooch/safety pin one that is just bizzare. It had to be an accident of some sort, right?

I don't know what else RCL could have done under these circumstances. They have to rely on the Mexican police to investigate/solve the murder and except for threatening to remove their ships from Mexico (which I doubt they would do) they have no power to do anything.

Certainly we are aware of the increase in violence over the last several years and after reading some of the comments here we are feeling truly blessed. We have been to Mexico a number of times and except for the little children begging (it breaks my heart) we haven't any had problems at all. We are now rethinking a Mexican cruise we have booked for May.