Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default What's there to do in Gearge Town, Grand Cayman Island?

Anyone recommend a really good excursion in Grand Cayman Island for family with kids? I hear its such a beautiful island and want to make sure I don't miss the hot spots. I love a beautiful beach and also doing a bit of shopping.
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat77 View Post
Anyone recommend a really good excursion in Grand Cayman Island for family with kids? I hear its such a beautiful island and want to make sure I don't miss the hot spots. I love a beautiful beach and also doing a bit of shopping.
Stingray City is the perfect excursion for kids. The little ones and the big ones. You will be able to interact with the stingrays in shallow water on a sandbar. The stingrays are safe and interesting to have them right next to you.

Seven Mile Beach is a great beach day. Check with the cruise line to see if they have an excursion or check to see what hotels will allow day and/or beach access.

There is shopping in Grand Cayman but don't look for "cheap" prices. Grand Cayman isn't a "poor" island so the cost of merchandise, other than t-shirts and tourist trinkets, can be more than you pay stateside.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:26 PM
Admiral

The cynic in me says don't worry you probably won't stop there due to weather!! We missed it & I really wanted to go there.
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Really! I hope we do...or I will be very disapointed. =( It's one of the islands I'm really looking forward to seeing. We're not going till first week of May. What's the weather like then??
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Grand Cayman is really the one island that is hit or miss. If you do port, you may be alongside seven ships as I was one time. This means a very crowded town...If you have an excursion you want to do..pre book with the ship,or say with Capt Marvin, a very reputable tour operator, for Stringray City.

You can go the Hell, visit the turtle farm,or window shop...On one cruise, due to rough seas, the Captain, actully ported on the other side of the island,and we bussed into town, which was interesting..you would swear you were in Florida I hope you get to see the island..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 13th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I've been there seven times and never missed the port.

The problem with Grand Cayman is that it is surrounded by a reef and cruise ships cannot go over the reef and must "tender" passengers ashore. If the water is too rough then the ship cannot tender passengers and bypasses Grand Cayman for a sea day.

We have yet to bypass it. Actually a small percentage of cruises have to bypass Grand Cayman. If it was bypassed too many times they would remove it from the itineraries.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Hope I haven't mislead anyone, but we were under the impression from others on our cruise who had never set foot on the island after many attempts, maybe it's a P&O thing.
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Those reefs proved to be tough to maneuver, as when we tendered to the ship, we struck one, with a major hit! I thought we would go back to the dock and await another, but we soldiered on to the ship. When it was back up in place, the hole was a big one, and, it dripped forever.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; February 13th, 2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old February 13th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Admiral

As someone said,Grand Cayman can be a hit or miss thing, regardless of the time of the year. The first 5-6 times we were there, we never had a problem. Then we went 2 years in a row and had to miss due to rough water. But, the last 2-3 times since then we've not had a problem. More likely than not, you will make the stop.
Be sure to visit the Tortuga Rum Cake factory and get some wonder rum cake to take home with you.
Old February 13th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Admiral

Seven Mile Beach is great. You can take a taxi for little.