Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Familiar Face

Default difference between voyager and Freedom

Hi,

What a great website you have here!

Hoping for your expert opionons, We are a family of 4 (2 adults 1-12yob 1-17yob) looking to cruise(1st time cruise) next winter (jan or feb 2012) sort of narrowed it down to:

voyager: Depart Galvaston or New orleans
ports: Cozumel, George Town, Falmouth, back to port
or
Freedom: Depart Port Cavaveral
ports: CocoCay, Charlotte Amalie, Philipsburg, Port canavel

The VOS is almost $900 less (for outside balcony) It seems that the VOS and FOS are a class of ship seperate.

Questions are:
How big of difference are the 2 ships?
Is there a diff in size of state rooms? (esp. for the 3rd, 4th person)
Does one offer any more than the other for teens to do.(looks like both have about the same onboard stuff, except the flow rider.)
Any preferrences/commets about the ports of call? (the Boys would like a swim with dolfin excursion, but it looks like both G.town and St. tomas offer one)

Thanks for any info you are able to share.
Sponsored Links
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Freedom is a much newer ship with more activities than the older Voyager. I believe the cabins are a bit different, slighty larger on Freedom and layed out nicely... There are still plenty of things to do on Voyager and since this is your first cruise, you will have nothing to compare to it.. I've read some reviews on Voyager and they seem very positive. Last time I was on Voyager the ship was in excellent shape. For the savings in $, it is worth looking into.

Do let us know what ship you book...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 21st, 2011, 08:51 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNice View Post
Hi,

Hoping for your expert opionons, We are a family of 4 (2 adults 1-12yob 1-17yob) looking to cruise(1st time cruise) next winter (jan or feb 2012) sort of narrowed it down to:

or

The VOS is almost $900 less (for outside balcony) It seems that the VOS and FOS are a class of ship seperate.

Questions are:
Does one offer any more than the other for teens to do.(looks like both have about the same onboard stuff, except the flow rider.)
Any preferrences/commets about the ports of call? (the Boys would like a swim with dolfin excursion, but it looks like both G.town and St. tomas offer one)

Hi, Voyager was built in 1999, and is 1020 feet long, it went in for major refursbishment in 2010.
Freedom was built in 2006, is 1112, so she's 100 feet longer, and will be in for major overhaul or drydock in Mar of this year.
I have sailed Voyager, she is a great ship, and has teen activities for your kids; it has ateen disco, rock climbing wall, inline skate track, ice skating rink, and the Royal Promenade; which is sort of like an indoor mall
Freedom has all of the above plus it has Flowrider and a boxing ring. Flowrider is a surf simulator; which all the kids love; and the boxing ring is in the gym. Being 100 feet longer is a big deal. The cabins on both ships should be similar in size. I have been to the following ports
St. Thomas
St. Martin
Cozumel
Grand Cayman
If u have anymore questions please ask.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old February 21st, 2011, 04:24 PM
Familiar Face

I have never sailed a Freedom class ship but love Voyager of the Seas. My absolute favorite ship so far.
I did a Med cruise last October and found the ship to be very well maintained, but of course she is almost 12 years old and in some places you can see that. The crew was great, actually the best I have ever had on any RCI cruise.

Freedom have some things that are missing on Voyager, for example Sorrento's pizza, Chops grille, Jade, Flowrider, H2O zone and cantilevered whirlpools.

I think the balcony cabins are a bit smaller on Voyager as the balconies protrude from the side of the ship on Freedom but not on Voyager.
If you aim for a balcony cabin on Voyager my advice is to stay away from deck 6 as the balconies there are more covered than on the decks above.

If you are 4 it may be a good idea to go for a Junior Suite which is a bit bigger.

/Erik
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:46 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks all for the responses, So on a bigger ship does that make it more crowded with more people or is it pretty porpotional?

also question to AF1, (or anyone who's been) What would you suggest for excursions in cuzumel, and Grand caymon?

Thanks
Old February 22nd, 2011, 06:38 PM
Admiral

In Grand Cayman, it would be snorkeling with the Sting Rays, not to be missed if you have never done it. Depending on your time in Grand Cayman, since it is a tender port, I'd advise just booking with the cruiseline, although there are outside vendors that do this tour.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:26 AM
Admiral

I agree with Donna; if u can; go swim with the fishes; great time; In Cozumel, rent a seqway scooter and tool around town. Lots of shops, and good food.

Go Reds
Old February 23rd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Admiral

Also in Cozumel there is Chanakaab Park, great way to spend an afternoon, lots to do and huge beach. Great to wonder around and look for interesting creatures...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 24th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the tips, the stingray thing sounds fun. Another room question...my oldest son is over 6 feet tall, how long are the extra beds in the cabins?

Thanks,
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Admiral

he should fit; but with not much room to spare. He will be ok; most teenage kids; can sleep anywhere.

Go Reds
Old March 10th, 2011, 06:22 PM
Familiar Face

Just wanted to thank everyone again for your responses. I think I have spent hours on this site.

Donna ask me to respond with which one I went with:

We chose freedom out of port canaveral feb 05 2012! I read FOS is heading to dry dock to add a big screen over the pool. (plus other oasis type changes) That will make for a perfect super bowl. Now if you could just do something to get the Vikings to the superbowl that would be even better.

Anyway we went with 2 connecting prominade staterooms. was accually way less money than a balcony, and this way everyone has a real bed, plus an extra bathroom,TV,closet etc...

Once FOS is back with it's new features, if someone could do another review of it with pictures that would be great! ;-)

thanks

Oh by they way: How do I get the cool "count down" clock that's on everyone's posts?
Old March 10th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Admiral

Congrats Mnice,
I think you made a great choice, especially with Freedom being improved....Now the wait begins.....Thanks for posting the ship you are going to be cruising on.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 10th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Admiral

I just want to welcome you to Cruisemates and to wish you a wonderful cruise.
You picked a great ship.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 13th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Just wanted to thank everyone again for your responses. I think I have spent hours on this site.

Donna ask me to respond with which one I went with:

We chose freedom out of port canaveral feb 05 2012! I read FOS is heading to dry dock to add a big screen over the pool. (plus other oasis type changes) That will make for a perfect super bowl. Now if you could just do something to get the Vikings to the superbowl that would be even better.

Anyway we went with 2 connecting prominade staterooms. was accually way less money than a balcony, and this way everyone has a real bed, plus an extra bathroom,TV,closet etc...

Once FOS is back with it's new features, if someone could do another review of it with pictures that would be great! ;-)

thanks

Oh by they way: How do I get the cool "count down" clock that's on everyone's posts?
Royal Caribbean International

Here is what is being done to Freedom; the ship goes in Mar 27th, 2011. I will be sailing Freedom in Dec

Go Reds
Old April 10th, 2011, 12:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Hi,

or

Questions are:

I have never been on the Freedom class ships before although I am close to booking my first.

From the research I've done two differences would be the Flow Rider and the cantilevered hot tubs.

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2010
RCI Explorer of the Seas, January 2011
Old April 10th, 2011, 07:36 AM
Admiral

There is also an H2O zone for kids, pool and fun stuff for both kids and adults...Great space on the pool deck.

Message Boards Moderator