Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 20th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Familiar Face

Default Thrilled cheapskate cruiser, but not so cheap this time

I'm back after over a year! We just booked on Monarch for April. We've been on this cruise already twice before and it's the cheapest that RCCL has, but we love it and consider ourselves fortunate to be able to enjoy it. We would love to try the larger boats sometime but maybe in the future. It was supposed to be $289 a person, but when we added our son, (3 people), it went to $364 a person with $279 for our 6 year old son. That really dampened our sales but we went forward anyway with it. Last time the price didn't jump like that from the posted lowest price. We were told it was the price for a 3 bed room vs a 2 bed room (the former has the pull down bunk). Does this sound right to you guys? Last time we paid $279 each for three passengers.

Sovereign of the Seas (Sept 2002)
Enchantment of the Seas (Sept 2003)
Monarch of the Seas (August 2009)
Monarch of the Seas (April 2011)
Enchantment of the Seas- Port Canaveral (May 2013)
Enchantment of the Seas - (April 2014)
Hope for a BIG ship in 2015! (heck with that, we'll take a small one for 2014!)
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:17 AM
Admiral

Prices fluctuate according to how fast cabins sell out, also time of year. If it was advertised that rate, and it was a brand new ad, I would think the lower rate would be in effect. Some sites come out weekly, some have daily specials. I had this happen once. The price was great, but at booking time, the rate had taken a jump. I'm not familiar with a cabin for 3.
Old February 21st, 2011, 06:41 AM
Admiral

Who did you book thru? How did you book? There is generally a lower rate for 3rd and 4th.

There are several possible explanations for why you had to pay more for 1est and 2nd - a triple may not have been available in the category you first looked at for example.

If you answer the above questions it wiould be easier to answer yours.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old February 21st, 2011, 08:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It still sounds pretty inexpensive to me with what you paid for the 3. Could of been, like the previous posters mentioned, that it was only for a 2 person cabin and when adding the 3rd, different price...

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 21st, 2011, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

There are a few reasons u paid a higher price.
1. time of year you booked
2. availability of cabin size and choice of category
3. the first two people pay same price; third or fourth in same cabin pay a lower price
4. speak with the agent who booked your cruise, ask them if this is the lowest price u can get for your family
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old February 21st, 2011, 01:27 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_the_cat View Post
Who did you book thru? How did you book? There is generally a lower rate for 3rd and 4th.

There are several possible explanations for why you had to pay more for 1est and 2nd - a triple may not have been available in the category you first looked at for example.

If you answer the above questions it wiould be easier to answer yours.
I think this is what happened. The $289 rate is probably still available right now, but not for a room with 3 beds. The 3rd fold down bed changed the category and the lowest available price. Still I feel like I am paying extra for nothing and the jump in categoy does NOTHING for the room, it's still the same crappy walk-in closet we always get. What torques me is that this did not happen last time (same cruise same ship), actually the cruise rate was higher $299, but overall it was cheaper because we paid $299 $299 $279 for a cruise advertised at $299, now we paid $364 $364 $279 for a cruise advertised at $289. I think that's unfair, it's not like we had to bump to a room with a window, this was just taking advantage.

Yes, it's still worth it, or we would not have done it, and yes it must seem cheap for those accustomed to much more expensive cruises. Many of you pay this for one person, but it's a lot for us, and we're doing Disney the week after (only one park) so it's going to be an expensive trip, and we need money for drinks on the boat, which is $200 if we drink almost nothing. Not to mention money for souveniers, tips, and maybe an excursion, although on this cruise we can do without, the cococay day is great by itself, and there's plenty to do and see in Nassau by foot. OK, I'll stop whining now, but I still don't think it was right to jump the price like that for nothing but "we gotcha".

Oh, almost forgot, we booked via phone with RCCL after researching lowest prices online. It seems that outside sites just charge more than RCCL itself, so we don't bother. We don't go through an agent, because then we can't see the lowest price and are at the mercy of the agent. And RCCL generally has good customer service. Do any of you guys actually get lower prices though physical agents?

Old February 21st, 2011, 06:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
I think this is what happened. The $289 rate is probably still available right now, but not for a room with 3 beds. The 3rd fold down bed changed the category and the lowest available price. Still I feel like I am paying extra for nothing and the jump in categoy does NOTHING for the room, it's still the same crappy walk-in closet we always get. What torques me is that this did not happen last time (same cruise same ship), actually the cruise rate was higher $299, but overall it was cheaper because we paid $299 $299 $279 for a cruise advertised at $299, now we paid $364 $364 $279 for a cruise advertised at $289. I think that's unfair, it's not like we had to bump to a room with a window, this was just taking advantage.

Yes, it's still worth it, or we would not have done it, and yes it must seem cheap for those accustomed to much more expensive cruises. Many of you pay this for one person, but it's a lot for us, and we're doing Disney the week after (only one park) so it's going to be an expensive trip, and we need money for drinks on the boat, which is $200 if we drink almost nothing. Not to mention money for souveniers, tips, and maybe an excursion, although on this cruise we can do without, the cococay day is great by itself, and there's plenty to do and see in Nassau by foot. OK, I'll stop whining now, but I still don't think it was right to jump the price like that for nothing but "we gotcha".

Oh, almost forgot, we booked via phone with RCCL after researching lowest prices online. It seems that outside sites just charge more than RCCL itself, so we don't bother. We don't go through an agent, because then we can't see the lowest price and are at the mercy of the agent. And RCCL generally has good customer service. Do any of you guys actually get lower prices though physical agents?

OK Disclosure here - I am a TA. TA's can only sell for the same price as RCL. The only way there may be something cheaper is if a TA is holding group space. That is highly unlikely on a short cruise such as this as there is so much work involved, however if the GAP's are good it might happen.

You are the second person I've heard in less than 2 weeks say the price changed as they were booking. The other person was booking online with RCL and the price changed as she was doing it. I don't know why that is happening.

However I going to assume in your case it's because of the third person. They've put you in a different category. As far as categories are concerned, with the insides and OV and most of the balconies it's a matter of location not size that matters.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 07:54 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks for all the clarifications. It seems that it is what it is, but I do not feel upgraded at all. Deck 2 is Deck 2. Did I mention it's deck 2? I am going to let this go after this post and will enjoy the cruise but I still feel cheated when this didn't happen last time, it seems a bit dishonest to post one price then get another, and to further bolster my argument, we checked Carnival today online and they have the 3 night Bahamas cruise from the same port at $269 per person and when I proceeded to add the 3rd person, they DID NOT bump the price up on us. In addition, they had a rate of $243 each if I let them pick the stateroom. It's an inside room, who cares? I listened to the anchor every morning on my last cruise and it didn't bother me, it told me when to wake up! Now, I don't expect the $243 price, but feel cheated on the bumped price, even tho I understand the technicalities of the "upgrade" that caused this. It's clearly a backdoor way to raise prices after the fact. Now you all know the reason why I didn't bother checking Carnival before booking this and why I don't feel THAT bad. On the 3 night cruises, Carnival goes to Nassau and Freeport, RCCL goes to Nassau and CoCoCay. Freeport is one of those "stay on the ship" ports based on my research. The beach day at CoCoCay is great. That was the deciding factor. However next year, I might try Carnival if they pull this stuff. There has to be something to see in Freeport. Enough said.... I'm happpy to be going on this cruise.... just not happy with the pricing trick they pulled.