Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2011, 12:28 AM
First Mate

Default First RCL cruise, anything to expect different?

So in Oct I will be sailing Monarch of the Seas for 3n. I've previously sailed on Costa on the Atlantica (Spirit Class) and Carnival on the Imagination (Fantasy Class). Anything major to expect different on RCL? One of my coworkers mentioned they hear RCL can nickel and dime you on ship, but couldn't really go into any detail. Anyone have anything to say on this?

Also, does RCL do anything like CCL where I could call and order up a bottle of vodka or such to have in my cabin when I embark?

Past cruises:

Disney Dream - Dec 2013 4n Bahamas
Disney Dream - Dec 2012 4n Bahamas
Carnival Imagination - Dec 2011 4n Western
Carnival Imagination - Nov 2010 4n Western
Costa Atlantica - Dec 2009 7n Eastern

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2011, 01:43 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

One thing you'll find for sure on Monarch.... that's tiny cabins.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old February 21st, 2011, 01:55 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
One thing you'll find for sure on Monarch.... that's tiny cabins.
Heh, yeah. Its only 3n so I think I'll live. Either way, its still a cruise. It gets me on a ship going somewhere. And its for a good cause, since proceeds are going towards local organizations.

Past cruises:

My opinions are mine and mine alone. They do not represent the opinions of The Walt Disney Company nor any of its subsidiaries.
Old February 21st, 2011, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

If you go to Royal Caribbean's website you can log in and pull up your reservation. Once u pull up reservation there is a area where u can pre-order wine or champagne for your room. U can order other things like choc covered strawberries/cakes/ appitizers, etc. You won't be able to order bottles of booze. Royal offers your room and food for the price you paid. You will pay extra for booze, sodas, any specialty resturaunt onboard. You won't pay to eat in main dining room, windjammer cafe; you also don't pay for coffee or tea in main dining room or windjammer. If you have any more questions please ask.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old February 21st, 2011, 01:15 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF1 View Post
If you go to Royal Caribbean's website you can log in and pull up your reservation. Once u pull up reservation there is a area where u can pre-order wine or champagne for your room. U can order other things like choc covered strawberries/cakes/ appitizers, etc. You won't be able to order bottles of booze. Royal offers your room and food for the price you paid. You will pay extra for booze, sodas, any specialty resturaunt onboard. You won't pay to eat in main dining room, windjammer cafe; you also don't pay for coffee or tea in main dining room or windjammer. If you have any more questions please ask.
So that is for sure one thing I like more about Carnival. Since you can call and order booze from their Bon Voyage department.

Past cruises:

Old February 21st, 2011, 07:46 PM
First Mate

Yay, its officially booked. Got the confirmation email from the TA today. And I got my first cabin number request which rocks. 8560, one of the minimally obstructed Cat I cabins.

Past cruises:

Old February 22nd, 2011, 12:22 AM
Familiar Face

Monarch is one of the oldest/smallest classes of ship RCI has so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, no rockwall, wave rider, etc. of the larger ships but it is a lovely ship. We enjoy the much more intimate feel. And you have the exact right attitude, "It gets me on a ship going somewhere." Plus it is funding local organizations, always a good thing.

For us it feels like what we imagine cruising used to be, a slower place, more relaxed, seeing more of the same folks daily, making our own entertainment--we found it easier to get a group together for cards, etc. Of course, there is ship sponsored entertainment available, too.

Enjoy your cruise!
Old February 22nd, 2011, 01:14 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViviW View Post
Monarch is one of the oldest/smallest classes of ship RCI has so it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, no rockwall, wave rider, etc. of the larger ships but it is a lovely ship. We enjoy the much more intimate feel. And you have the exact right attitude, "It gets me on a ship going somewhere." Plus it is funding local organizations, always a good thing.

For us it feels like what we imagine cruising used to be, a slower place, more relaxed, seeing more of the same folks daily, making our own entertainment--we found it easier to get a group together for cards, etc. Of course, there is ship sponsored entertainment available, too.

Enjoy your cruise!
From what I saw online, they do have the rock wall on Monarch. Tho on such a short cruise, I doubt I will have any time to enjoy it, but we shall see. Still waiting to hear if the TA is going to get a bus going out to Canaveral, or if I will be getting a hotel with parking. But there's still 7 months

Past cruises:

Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:41 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFLA View Post
From what I saw online, they do have the rock wall on Monarch. Tho on such a short cruise, I doubt I will have any time to enjoy it, but we shall see. Still waiting to hear if the TA is going to get a bus going out to Canaveral, or if I will be getting a hotel with parking. But there's still 7 months
, my DH said, yes, they have a rockwall, you don't wander around enough to see everything! Sorry. I tend to hit the pool area, card room, etc. It has been a few years since we were on it but I still think is was a lovely ship. 7 months will fly by.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:45 AM
First Mate

Quote:
, my DH said, yes, they have a rockwall, you don't wander around enough to see everything! Sorry. I tend to hit the pool area, card room, etc. It has been a few years since we were on it but I still think is was a lovely ship. 7 months will fly by.
This is the longest I've gone thus far between booking and actually sailing. Hehehe, I might have to find something inexpensive in-between just to make time go faster.

Past cruises:

Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:51 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
This is the longest I've gone thus far between booking and actually sailing. Hehehe, I might have to find something inexpensive in-between just to make time go faster.
A true cruiser! I notice you have been on Carnival before. My DS is in NY for college and he and his buddies are thinking of going on a Carnival cruise--he has cruised RCL with us before but hasn't been on any other lines. How is Carnival for 18-19 year olds on their own? (They would sail from FL.)
Old February 22nd, 2011, 02:56 PM
First Mate

Quote:
A true cruiser! I notice you have been on Carnival before. My DS is in NY for college and he and his buddies are thinking of going on a Carnival cruise--he has cruised RCL with us before but hasn't been on any other lines. How is Carnival for 18-19 year olds on their own?
Well, they do call them The Fun Ships. I had a blast when I was on CCL Imagination. I'm 34, almost 35, but with the spirit of a 18 - 19yo. The ships are pretty lively until the wee hours of the night. One thing tho, I am pretty Carnival has some of the various age requirements as well, so might want to check that out.

Past cruises:

Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:26 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Well, they do call them The Fun Ships. I had a blast when I was on CCL Imagination. I'm 34, almost 35, but with the spirit of a 18 - 19yo. The ships are pretty lively until the wee hours of the night. One thing tho, I am pretty Carnival has some of the various age requirements as well, so might want to check that out.
Yes, lively, that is what they are looking for, ! I will definitely check to see if there are age restrictions. I would be surprised if they couldn't cruise on their own over 18 yrs old as they traveled on their own in Europe last summer (after graduating from HS) and had no trouble, just lots of lively fun. But rules vary so I'll check it out.

Thanks for the info.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 05:22 PM
Familiar Face

Hawkeye - Holy cow! I called Carnival and they say the boys would have to have someone 25 or older in their cabin! I asked why they couldn't cruise when they become of legal age (21) and was told they had to have an "adult" in the cabin. Just nuts. Guess the boys will have to find another way to spend some of their vacation. Thanks for the heads up.
Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:07 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Hawkeye - Holy cow! I called Carnival and they say the boys would have to have someone 25 or older in their cabin! I asked why they couldn't cruise when they become of legal age (21) and was told they had to have an "adult" in the cabin. Just nuts. Guess the boys will have to find another way to spend some of their vacation. Thanks for the heads up.
As I've been reading, most cruise lines seem to have a requirement along those lines. So unless they've got an older friend on campus to go with them.

Past cruises: