CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Monarch of the Seas (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/380926-monarch-seas.html)

kijjy March 4th, 2011 12:19 PM

Monarch of the Seas

I have a trip in 45 days with my 13 year old son. Has anyone been on this ship recently and if so, what can you tell me...how was the ship, the staff, the activities, etc.?

shahram72 March 6th, 2011 02:00 PM

I think we are on the same cruise.. April 15th? Anyway, this will be my second time on this ship. Loved it. Travelling with my wife and 6 year old son. This is RCCL's smallest and oldest ship, but you can't tell. 2 years ago it looked very young and they really keep it up well. There's plenty for a kid to do. They have programs for all ages and even a nightclub for his age with no parents allowed. He might like that. Staff is stellar as always, food is great. There's always the pool, he probably won't like the shows, the beach day is good for anybody and you can both enjoy Nassau for a few hours. I was never bored on the ship, but then I never had to entertain a teenager either. Feel free to ask specific questions, I pretty familiar with this ship having been on it and it's sister ship, the Sovereign.

Trvl4Life March 6th, 2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kijjy (Post 1357074)
I have a trip in 45 days with my 13 year old son. Has anyone been on this ship recently and if so, what can you tell me...how was the ship, the staff, the activities, etc.?

I will be on this ship the 22nd of April, with my 13 year old daughter. So this will be good to know, since I have never been on it either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shahram72 (Post 1357499)
I think we are on the same cruise.. April 15th? Anyway, this will be my second time on this ship. Loved it. Travelling with my wife and 6 year old son. This is RCCL's smallest and oldest ship, but you can't tell. 2 years ago it looked very young and they really keep it up well. There's plenty for a kid to do. They have programs for all ages and even a nightclub for his age with no parents allowed. He might like that. Staff is stellar as always, food is great. There's always the pool, he probably won't like the shows, the beach day is good for anybody and you can both enjoy Nassau for a few hours. I was never bored on the ship, but then I never had to entertain a teenager either. Feel free to ask specific questions, I pretty familiar with this ship having been on it and it's sister ship, the Sovereign.

Can you tell me how the beverage package works? Can I buy it for just one of us. Is it even worth it for 3 days. How much are individual cans of soda? And what beverages are available for "free"? One last question, can you have something like red velvet cupcakes or chocolate covered strawberries delivered to your room? I thought I saw that somewhere on RCCL's site.

TIA

AF1 March 6th, 2011 06:53 PM

What is the Fountain Soda package? - Royal Caribbean International

here is the answer to your soda package question. Individual cans are $2.50 plus 15% = $2.87

Donna March 6th, 2011 07:17 PM

You can get "free" iced tea, lemonaide in the Windjammer, along with milk, coffee and regular hot tea. Also the tap water is fine to drink, I would save a few dollars and not bother bringing or purchasing bottled water...

HawkeyeFLA March 7th, 2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donna (Post 1357556)
You can get "free" iced tea, lemonaide in the Windjammer, along with milk, coffee and regular hot tea. Also the tap water is fine to drink, I would save a few dollars and not bother bringing or purchasing bottled water...

As opposed to bottled "water?" Heheh, sorry couldn't resit. rofl

shahram72 March 10th, 2011 03:50 PM

I have no use for beverage cards, I prefer to drink iced tea and coffee with breakfast, and that's included. I can't imagine giving a kid an unlimited soda card. I like sodas, but enjoy them sparingly.

AF1 March 13th, 2011 09:52 AM

I agree with shahram72, soda card is not that great; if u drink lemonade and ice tea; u can buy a can of soda every now and then. The soda card only makes sense if you drink four or five per day.

shahram72 March 15th, 2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AF1 (Post 1359070)
I agree with shahram72, soda card is not that great; if u drink lemonade and ice tea; u can buy a can of soda every now and then. The soda card only makes sense if you drink four or five per day.

Wow, I don't drink 4 or 5 a week! Now beer, that's a different story...;)

AF1 March 15th, 2011 05:55 PM

I do drink soda and I may drink three or four per day; however I am just as happy to drink ice tea onboard ship and spend my soda money on other things.

kijjy March 25th, 2011 11:29 AM

I buy the soda package for my son but I don't for myself. At home, he's allowed x number of soda's, but when on vacation, he has free reign on the sodas.