Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:58 PM
First Mate

Default Saving Seats - What can be done to fix this?

Just recently got off Allure, thought it was a wonderful cruise. Although we found several instances of people "reserving seats" in the main theater, ice show and aqua show. For some reason I haven't run into this on other RCI ships as much as we did on Allure (I'm sure 6K passengers contributes to the problem). We saw a few confrontations between passengers who were violating the policy and those attempting to sit in these people's seats.

My thoughts here - if you're holding like one seat, ok understandable - but we saw people hold 10 or more seats. The cruise line should have ushers helping folks find seats, they could also be "on hand" to quickly resolve these disputes between passengers. Seems so simple "no reserving of seats", but it just seems like they have no enforcement. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Admiral

Reserved seats .We had this on our Cunard cruise .
Old March 6th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

If there were no seats, except for those being saved, I would plunk my tush in the seat and ignore any remarks. I am not one for confrontation, but, I want to have a seat, just like the people they are saving the seats for...one or two seats ok, an entire row..no way..where are these people anyway.... lol

I like to sit in the back on an aisle, to leave if I want to , so for me I don't usually have any issues..but, I say yayay to anyone who will sit in a saved seat, if there are no other choices.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; March 7th, 2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

It wouldn't hurt if they did monitor the saved seats and let people know they can't do that. So far, I have never seen that done, same with the pool chairs. There are always waiters trying to have you order drinks, they could also what the seats at the same time, just a thought...

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 7th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondMember View Post
Just recently got off Allure, thought it was a wonderful cruise. Although we found several instances of people "reserving seats" in the main theater, ice show and aqua show. For some reason I haven't run into this on other RCI ships as much as we did on Allure (I'm sure 6K passengers contributes to the problem). We saw a few confrontations between passengers who were violating the policy and those attempting to sit in these people's seats.

My thoughts here - if you're holding like one seat, ok understandable - but we saw people hold 10 or more seats. The cruise line should have ushers helping folks find seats, they could also be "on hand" to quickly resolve these disputes between passengers. Seems so simple "no reserving of seats", but it just seems like they have no enforcement. Thoughts?

Sorry -nothing will ever be done because the Cruise Lines don't care. If they did care, they would have ushers.

Unless you are prepared to be like Trip and stand up for yourself and sit on one of the 'reserved' seats - noone is going to do it for you.

or don't sail on big ships.

Annie
Old March 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Captain

Even though I love the perks of being D+ I can easily say the personnel working the theaters are lacking. They allow saving of seats and filming of performances and on several occasions they have denied us seating in the "VIP" seats since we didn't have a suite "gold card" (current policy is "VIP" seating for D+ also but we usually don't argue the point).

Maybe if one less person would stop asking if we want a drink before the show and police the reserving of seats? I doubt it.......

My best recent theater experience was with "NCL" of all things (not a fan of theirs obviously). They not only had people assisting in locating seats, they actively sought out those pesky folks filming during the performance.
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:03 PM
First Mate

Excellent points - really would hope RCI would step up there game on this. The one confrontation I witness last week was pretty heated between two passengers. I applaud the passenger who stood up for the no reserving of seats policy. Ultimatley to avoid a physical confrontation the passenger ended up going to sit elsewhere, but still mind boggling to me that people on vacation can be so silly.
Old March 7th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Admiral

DM, do you think the seat saver would have come to blows, with the person, who sat down?

Old March 7th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
If there were no seats, except for those being saved, I would plunk my tush in the seat and ignore any remarks. I am not one for confrontation, but, I want to have a seat, just like the people they are saving the seats for...one or two seats ok, an entire row..no way..where are these people anyway.... lol

On our recent cruise on the Allure we encounterd one situation where someone was saving seats. I said ( no you are not, because it's against the rules .We sat down and they grumbled and moved away.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 7th, 2011, 06:14 PM
Admiral

If there are other places to sit, I don't try to take someone's saved seats. What gets me are the people that save the pool side lounges. The show up, throw a towel and/or a book or shoes on a lounge chair, and then disappear for 2 or 3 hours. If there is no where else to sit, and I see a lounge with just a towel on it for more than an hour, I have moved it and taken the chair. Once I had someone come back after a few hours and tried to claim the chair, but I told him the chair was not being used and I refused to get up. He left. Of Course I'm sure it helped that I am 6'3" and 275lbs! :evil:

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:13 PM
First Mate

Having watched what happened with the confrontation last week, I'd say that if the individual wishing to sit in the "saved" seat had not of backed off - there would have been a physical confrontation. It was pretty intense from what I saw, I believe the individual attempting to sit in the seats asked for security (via a bartender); however, no one came over. Just made me think about what preventative measure the cruise line could put in place to help curb this behavior. This issue is probably more prevalent on Oasis and Allure just given there size and the need for "tickets" to get into the shows.
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Admiral

Last week on the Allure we were going to watch Blue Planet. There was a lady in front of us who was travelling with only her son. The rules are the children's program will bring the child/children to the venue but you must pick the child up at the entrance. (Same applies when they are picking the children up from the dining room to take them to the youth program). She needed to run to the back of the theatre to get her child. She put her sweater between the 2 seats and asked us to watch them. We did - one older gentleman started arguing with me. When he demanded to know if she was related to me I just told him to "it was none of his business." This was 2 seats and she had to go by the rules and not allow her child to wander down the runway by himself. I didn't mind watching the 2 seats for her.

Now, that is a one off and I don't believe in hogging/holding a row of seats. That is wrong.

Nevertheless, there are always exceptions.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old March 7th, 2011, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Saving seats by the pool and the theater, while a big aggrivation for cruisers, is not dealt with by the crew, because they want to put all their efforts in policing where it counts, where there is revenue involved, bringing on liquour illegally.

No staff, wants to get in the middle of the seat debate, possibly not till there is a confrontation, but,hoping one or both will back off without fisticuffs.

Aggrivating cruisers, on a vacation is not high on the list, wanting everyone to try and deal with things peacefully, or hoping so...

Old March 7th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Question

We are Diamond members going on the Oasis in May. We had to "register" on line for our shows each night. I thought by registering there is a seat for you and your guest. Are the shows open to those who do not register or do they let them in last? Do we still have to go early to get a good seat? Anyone?

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Admiral

I'm sure it's like we had on the Epic..you have reservations, and you have your seats..the seats are where you want to sit..first come first serve, everyone may have their own idea of what best seats are. Once the reserved seats are all in, then anyone can come in...

It seems people who get in frst, are saving their seats for all their friends..they may have had reservations, but, maybe not...really not right;(

Old March 7th, 2011, 08:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I'm sure it's like we had on the Epic..you have reservations, and you have your seats..the seats are where you want to sit..first come first serve, everyone may have their own idea of what best seats are. Once the reserved seats are all in, then anyone can come in...

It seems people who get in frst, are saving their seats for all their friends..they may have had reservations, but, maybe not...really not right;(

Yes, that is exactly the way it works.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 7th, 2011, 08:27 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser View Post
We are Diamond members going on the Oasis in May. We had to "register" on line for our shows each night. I thought by registering there is a seat for you and your guest. Are the shows open to those who do not register or do they let them in last? Do we still have to go early to get a good seat? Anyone?

You won't have a specific seat but you will get in immediately. Those without ressies have to line up and are let in 10 minutes before show time to take up any empty seats.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old March 7th, 2011, 10:14 PM
First Mate

I believe it would take a couple of big confrontations where people began fighting, before the cruise lines do anything. Right now, I think it's - I hear nothing, see nothing, do nothing attitude with the staff and crew.

Crew members will not jeopardize their job over seats saving. All it would take is for a passenger turning them in and they would be on the next plane back to their respective country.

Carnival Tropical 2000
Carnival Pride 2002
Carnival Glory 2003
Carnival Miracle 2004
Carnival Victory 2004
Sun Princess 2005
Carnival Legend 2006
Carnival Glory 2008
Carnival Liberty 2008
Carnival Freedom 2009
Carnival Dream 2011
Carnival Conquest 2012
Carnival Liberty - Sept 2013
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas- Sept 2014

Old March 8th, 2011, 06:56 AM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to AF1

I was on Allure in Jan. We had a group of 20. with a group this large we knew we weren't going to sit together in the theater, or anywhere else; so when we went to a show in theater we would grab a row of seats; if someone in our group was running late; they just had to sit where ever they found a seat; we didn't want to make a big deal; the main thing was; everyone who had a reservation should get in to see the show. And we also could not sit together at the pool; we might get six or seven in one area;. I think the staff in the main theater; they are mostly posted out front, scanning sea passes for people who have reservations; the only staff that are down inside the theater were the waiters/waitressess; they didn't want to piss anyone off, because they didn't want to lose out on a tip.
Splendour of the Seas: May 07
Explorer of the Seas: Jan 04
Majesty of the Seas Jan 99

Go Reds
Old March 8th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Admiral

Thanks Trip and Felix for your input. Trip, you are right, everyone's idea of the best seat is different. We, too, like to sit in the back for a quick exit if necessary as well as an aisle seat, etc... We usually go early and that is my reading or social time.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 8th, 2011, 04:13 PM
First Mate

Hopefully RCI will innovate this area of issue as well as they've innovated other great things on there ships. Another "to-do" for them I guess.