Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Security Concerns in Mexico

How do those of you cruising to Ports in Mexico feel about the Drug Cartels targeting Americans off of Cruise Ships in port?

Last edited by dp229; March 10th, 2011 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Sponsored Links
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Admiral

I for one have no desire to ever set foot in Mexico .
Old March 10th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp229 View Post
How do theose of you cruising to Ports in Mexico feel about the Drug Cartels targeting Americans off of Cruise Ships in port?

The drug cartels are not targeting American's on cruise ships. The violence is in the boarder towns and is mostly cartel on cartel violence with some cartel on law enforcement and politician violence thrown in. Yes, there have been a few American's, who have got in the way, deaths but there has been no reports of violence against cruise passengers by the cartels.

The tourist areas of Mexico are still "relatively" safe. Like anywhere you can't let your common sense go on vacation and you should always be aware of your surroundings but the tourist areas are still relatively safe. There was a short pullout from Mazatlan by a couple of cruise lines but they are now back and there was a mass murder of cab drivers in Acapulco but that was because of problems between them and the cartels and cruise passengers were not targeted.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 10th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
The drug cartels are not targeting American's on cruise ships. The violence is in the boarder towns and is mostly cartel on cartel violence with some cartel on law enforcement and politician violence thrown in. Yes, there have been a few American's, who have got in the way, deaths but there has been no reports of violence against cruise passengers by the cartels.

The tourist areas of Mexico are still "relatively" safe. Like anywhere you can't let your common sense go on vacation and you should always be aware of your surroundings but the tourist areas are still relatively safe. There was a short pullout from Mazatlan by a couple of cruise lines but they are now back and there was a mass murder of cab drivers in Acapulco but that was because of problems between them and the cartels and cruise passengers were not targeted.

Take care,
Mike
I agree. The areas of concern are the Northern border crossings. I've been traveling to Mexican resorts in the Cancun, Riviera Maya, Los Cabos, Puerto Vallarta areas for many years with my most recent trips in Aug. 2010 and Feb. 2011. I have never experienced or heard of any violence against tourists except for the "usual" pick-pocketing, and rip-off scams. I like Mexico and as long as I stay in a tourist area (which I always do) I don't have any fear.

Old March 10th, 2011, 01:31 PM
Admiral

The cruiselines have left Mazatlan again. No sign of returning anytime soon. There were two shooting deaths in a parking lot of a hotel frequented by tourists.

We were on the Allure last week. It stopped in Costa Maya which I just consider "made in China" place therefore extremely boring. From there we went to Cozumel where we did not get off the ship.

There have been far too many Canadians die in Mexico over the last while, whether by bullets, knives or a gas line blowing up in a resort.

I have no use for Mexico and will not willing go there. If I am on a ship that stops there, I won't get off.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old March 11th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Familiar Face

Dh and I have done 3 trips to the MR. I wasn't empressed by the ports before this all happened.
I'm so GLAD that Princess is now doing West Coast trips. Sure, there's one stop in Mexico but we will take advantage of the ship being bare of people. ;-)
Old March 11th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dp229 View Post
How do those of you cruising to Ports in Mexico feel about the Drug Cartels targeting Americans off of Cruise Ships in port?
Wow.... such a broad stroke of the paint brush here ! And where have there been any REPORTED INCIDENTS of Americans travelling via cruise ship being targted by Drug Cartel ???

The border towns of Mexico is where the cartel is causing such an uproar with killings.... not in the tourist spots that cruiselines visit. COZ is very safe as is Costa Maya, Cancun and other tourist areas within Mexico.

Heck, I just came back from a week AI stay in COZ... and it was wonderful ! And we had little fear for our safety, but always had our guard up as usual when travelling anywhere !

Watch your back and Mexico is safe in the tourist areas for sure !
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2cruiz View Post
Wow.... such a broad stroke of the paint brush here ! And where have there been any REPORTED INCIDENTS of Americans travelling via cruise ship being targted by Drug Cartel ???

The border towns of Mexico is where the cartel is causing such an uproar with killings.... not in the tourist spots that cruiselines visit. COZ is very safe as is Costa Maya, Cancun and other tourist areas within Mexico.

Heck, I just came back from a week AI stay in COZ... and it was wonderful ! And we had little fear for our safety, but always had our guard up as usual when travelling anywhere !

Watch your back and Mexico is safe in the tourist areas for sure !
Matzatlan, Acapolco, (sp), tourists areas.

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Ture, but I was citing the areas that MOST cruise ships port at on the eastern side of Mexico i.e. Yucatan Peninsula. I know you don't like Mexico, and that is OK.... but there are many relatively safe areas that cruise ships go to that are tourist areas.....Jamaica is another dangerous zone.... if in the wrong area !
Old March 11th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

I have investments in Mexico and was considering a big one in Merida, but now even my friends who live there have told me to hold off. So I will. Hope this plays out soon. It is bad.

That being said I have no problem visiting any of the ports in Mexico while on a cruise ship. I know some choose not to, but not a problem for me.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 11th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Our next cruise stops in Cozumel, and we will go there and have a good time. We were there last january and did not encounter any problems.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old March 13th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Familiar Face

I was just in Cozumel last Saturday on a big white ship and had no problems. Even left the island and went to the main land for the ruins tour and still no issues.
Old March 13th, 2011, 11:52 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Cozumel is probably the safest place in all of Mexico right now.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.