Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Royal Caribbean International
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 27th, 2011, 10:58 PM
Familiar Face

Default Anytime dinning vs assigned

Hi again,

1 more of the many questions I'm sure I'll throw at you.

We are traveling on FOS next year, have a question on how the dinning room works. it says on our reservation we have 6:00pm dinning (which we requested) Somewhere I read, (or maybe drempt it) that the lower two dinning rooms are assigned times, and the upper one was for "any time Dinning".

My question: can we flop back and forth? Suppose we are late getting dressed for dinner one night and don't make it to the dinning room until say 6:30 or so, can we still eat at our regular table? if not can we jump to "any time" dinning? Or will we be sent to the Wind Jammer that evening?
img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=02&year=2012&day=05&hour=16:00[/img]Freedom of the seas
Sponsored Links
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

From what I understand, you can go from the traditional dining to anytime during the cruise, but you can't do it the other way around. For me, I would rather have the traditional time, but I usually get waitlisted for that. If you know a head of time and are at dinner one night, good idea to let your wait staff know you will not be there the following evening.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 28th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Your not supposed to do that. They have dining staff allocated to each dining room according to need. If you don't make the dining room, then the Windjammer is your option.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:22 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks, guys. So if there is 6:00 seating, what is the latest I could show up in the dinning room? is 6:00 the time they serve or the time you expected there.

If I had "any time" couldn't I choose to go at 6:00 anyway?
img]http://www.cruisemates.com/countdown.php?month=02&year=2012&day=05&hour=16:00[/img]Freedom of the seas
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:37 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

If you have 6:00 pm dinner you should be there by 6:05. The waiters take the orders for the entire table at the same time. Also they pull from the kitchen in a certain order. If your late you mess up the system. If you want good service i'd be there on time.

If you have 'anytime' you can go whenever you want.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old March 28th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You could change to ATD for the duration of the cruise if you choose, but not go back and forth as you choose.

If you chose to switch, you could go at 6 or later if you're late, but you may have a short wait, as you would with land based restaurants.

As Snooze says, if you stick with assigned early seating you really should be close to ontime. It not only throws of table service, but if you arrive too late, there can also be an affect on the servers getting ready for late seating.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Yes, Mnice,
If you had anytime dining, you can still go at 6:00. That is the nice thing about anytime versus traditional, you can go whenever you want.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Captain

Exclamation Traditional vs. AnyTime Dining

There's also the issue of gratuities if you switch back and forth. I believe gratuities are to be prepaid if you choose ATD. If you go the the main dining room instead, you would be expected to give the waitstaff a gratuity.
Old March 29th, 2011, 12:24 PM
First Mate

That is correct, Anytime dining requires you to pre-pay your gratuties. If you plan to dine in the various "alternative" dining options throughout the week (i.e., like on Oasis & Allure - there are a large number to choose from) and only end up in the main dining room for one or two nights or something; then you'd need to tip the wait staff in the dinning room accordingly. I do not believe there is an expectation that if you only used the dining room once during the 7nights you'd tip for all seven.
Old March 29th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Familiar Face

I didn't even think of the whole tipping thing.

We'll make sure we are there by 6:00, or plan to eat elsewhere.

thanks everyone!