CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Why are drinks so much? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/381664-why-drinks-so-much.html)

Insider April 2nd, 2011 10:15 PM

Why are drinks so much?

Sailing our first Royal cruise in Jan 2012. Was totally shocked with their drink prices. Carnivals are 3 to 4 dollars cheaper. Why are they so high on RCI?

fun2cruiz April 2nd, 2011 10:50 PM

I found the drinks less expenisve on my RCI cruises and CCL's hgher by a couple bucks each !

Trip April 2nd, 2011 10:55 PM

that old saying....whatever the traffic will bear.....you are their captive audience..

MNice April 3rd, 2011 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insider (Post 1364040)
Sailing our first Royal cruise in Jan 2012. Was totally shocked with their drink prices. Carnivals are 3 to 4 dollars cheaper. Why are they so high on RCI?

Just curious where did you locate the drink prices?

We are also going in 2012 and trying to find out what to budget for.

felix_the_cat April 3rd, 2011 10:00 AM

I was going to say the same as Trip - they can so they do. As long as the captives will pay they will charge.

Galveston April 5th, 2011 11:34 AM

You're going on vacation...ever been to a ball game, concert, strip club?? Chances are, RCCL is still charging less than half of what you'd spend at any of the above.

Dave the Wave April 5th, 2011 04:04 PM

I found them to be about the same if not Carnival a little more. Make sure you are comparing beers to beers and a rum and coke to a rum and coke. Not a can of beer to a Pina Colada in a souvenier glass. 8-)

Insider April 5th, 2011 05:37 PM

Martines are $6.50-$9.00 on CCL. RCI prices start at $9.00 and go to $11.50. That is comparing drink to drink.

fun2cruiz April 6th, 2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insider (Post 1364593)
Martines are $6.50-$9.00 on CCL. RCI prices start at $9.00 and go to $11.50. That is comparing drink to drink.

And "Martinis" on =x= are higher priced than CCL and RCI too, depending on the type of Martini. You stated drinks were higher in general and not specific to one type of concoction..... :wink:

profln71 April 6th, 2011 06:48 PM

Great Soda Card : 50% off !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insider (Post 1364040)

If you find that the drinks are too high , then switch to sodas ! All your favorite soft-drinks are available at 50% off when you obtain a beverage card at the front desk : $50 value for only $25 ! You can use it at any bar / showroom at sea on board H A ships . ;)

dave 3261 April 11th, 2011 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by profln71 (Post 1364838)
If you find that the drinks are too high , then switch to sodas ! All your favorite soft-drinks are available at 50% off when you obtain a beverage card at the front desk : $50 value for only $25 ! You can use it at any bar / showroom at sea on board H A ships . ;)

Come on, switch to soda:confused: that's not helpful info.

I suppose it comes down to supply and demand.

On my last Royal Caribbean cruise, my bar tab was about $300 for an eleven night cruise. I was thrilled when I got my print out on the last day. I had three or four by the pool on sea days, and at least three or four after dinner every night. I mostly drink water with dinner, a glass of wine or a beer on a few nights.

Carnival Victory, 2003
Carnival Victory, 2004
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2009
RCI Explorer of the Seas, 2010
RCI Jewel of the Seas, January 2011

Mike M April 11th, 2011 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insider (Post 1364593)

A Bombay Sapphire martini is $11.50 on CCL. At least it was on Carnival Pride in May of 2009.

Take care,
Mike

shahram72 April 11th, 2011 10:35 PM

I find that I never get drunk on a cruise partly because the prices are so high so I never have more than 2 at a time and partly because my belly is always full! I usually drink cans of fosters beer because that is the cheapest per ounce for a semi-quality beer. I'm probably the cheapest person on this forum, but I've been waiting 2 years for this cruise and I'm going to get what I want. I am going to have red wine with all my dinners and if I want a second, I'm going to do it! Now I'm a little afraid of my what my wife will order, those mixed drinks are hella expensive!

I look at it this way, I try to buy the cruise at a time when it is cheap when I consider travel vessel, lodging, and meals, so the drinks and a few souveniers are how they make any money from me.

BTW, I'm never cheap on tipping. Be cheap on yourself all you want, but not on others.

yrsweetlove April 12th, 2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by felix_the_cat (Post 1364073)
I was going to say the same as Trip - they can so they do. As long as the captives will pay they will charge.

is there any way to take bottle in the checked luggage on athe allure of the seas?? i'm going in two weeks and want to take a bottle but i'm not sure! been on 3 cruises but all carnival this is my first RCCL.

felix_the_cat April 12th, 2011 04:10 PM

I would not advise it. It is against their rules and they have been enforcing it rather strictly over the last few months. Some people have used "rum runners" and got away with it though.

SophySeaDog May 1st, 2011 06:53 PM

We were on LOS last January and a Mojito was i believe, $5.25 plus gratuity.

Great drink at a good price.

We were on Carnival Liberty 2010 and found the drinks expensive.

SSD

Goteki45 May 30th, 2011 03:58 PM

My very first drink on the Enchantment was a Pina Colada which was $11.50, but it came with a nice glass that I was able to keep. The typical prices of the Pina Coladas in the lounges were around $ 6.00 dollars or so. This is how I look at the pricing. It really doesn't bother me. The cruise ship companies have to make money in order to pay for their ships, their crew, the food, entertainment etc. At the end of day, it's a business, and a business is in business to make a profit. When cruise companies spend $500+ million dollars for a ship, they have to pay for it some how, and that means trying to obtain maximum profitability from each guest on board.

shahram72 May 31st, 2011 04:40 PM

On my last cruise, I drank very little during the day, and ordered a bottle of wine ($23 for a cheap Merlot) each nite for dinner and shared it with my wife. I was sufficiently medicated for the evening and it was much cheaper than "by the glass". Still spent quite a bit overall, but really, $30 per day for alcohol wasn't too bad for a 3 nighter.

Skipper's Mom May 31st, 2011 08:39 PM

My suggestion is to only order drinks with ice, i.e., vodka/rocks, scotch/rocks, etc. When you order specialty/mixed drinks, the amount of alcohol is not easily discerned. I think that I do better with the basic drinks. Just my suggestion. We also bring unlimited wine onboard on Holland America. So that takes care of dinner, etc. and wine in our stateroom. Even with the corkage fee, we drink superior wines to those offerred on HAL.

janeyan March 5th, 2012 08:40 PM

Cold Summer With Spiked Apple Cider

Just the start of it, sunny days, party nights ,hot guys, water fights, beaches hair, tanned skin, school is out because summer is in. Its the start of a new season and everybody is thinking of a long vacation. Set aside your office works ,take off your formal clothes for summer means fun and enjoy the heat of the sun. How wonderful it is to stand on pearly sands watching the waves that goes back and forth on the ocean with glass of spiked apple cider to quench your thirst. A visit to the beach is one of lifeís greatest pleasures. No particular time constraints, not curfew, no worries Ė just endless days of child-like enjoyment. Its time to catch up and finally do what youíve never got around to. Its time to indulge in something completely mindless. It may be effective. Anything goes. I always, always look forward to summer, itís my favorite season and itís the perfect time to have some serious fun. As a matter of fact, a month before this season will come I always envisioned my self lying in the white sand beach with a glass of my favorite cold drink "spiked apple cider" , listen to the sound of the waves, watching the blue horizons .This is life! no worries, no fears, no obligation plainly relaxation.
Now let me share to you one of my favorite thirst quencher during summer. Summer is hot but with cold spiked apple cider , summer will be perfectly match.
Cider is one of the most common things found in the kitchen. Cider is basically made from apple juice, making it a good addition to a great variety of dishes and drinks. However, homemakers need to be careful when incorporating cider in any recipe since various brands of cider contain various levels of alcohol content. Nonetheless, it can be used for various purposes; one is to make the perfect cold drink for the hot summer months. Here's how its done:
Gather all the ingredients below to make a spiked apple cider :
1/4 gallon apple cider
1/2 cup dark rum
1/2 cup cinnamon schnapps
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled, cut into large chunks
1/2 lemon, juiced
Cider has been used to ease sunburn as well as a remedy for yeast infections. Itís also known to lower bad cholesterol and clear up unsightly warts. Generally, cider is said to offer a number of health benefits. Although its capacity to cure any ailments has not been proven yet, it sure wonít hurt to try; after all, cider is affordable and easy to find.
After gathering all those ingredients. Mix together the cider, rum, and schnapps in a large pitcher. Add the apples to a small bowl and toss them with the lemon juice. Thread the diced apples onto skewers. Pour the spiked cider into glasses filled with ice, then garnish with an apple skewer and walah! you already have a very tasty summer drink "spiked apple cider". Drink it while its still cold. I assure you this spiked apple cider will really make your summer more fun and delightful, enjoy drinking with your friends.

Golden1 March 5th, 2012 09:34 PM

The way I cut down on the alcohol bill is that my favorite beer is Corona and Heinekin. I cruise on Princess, which doesnt carry either one on board! lol. I am forced to drink a beer on the B list, so I enjoy, but dont drink as much.