CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Royal Caribbean International (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/)
-   -   Most highly recommended beach in Falmouth Jamaica (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/royal-caribbean-international/382060-most-highly-recommended-beach-falmouth-jamaica.html)

DJLDRUMS April 22nd, 2011 01:02 AM

Most highly recommended beach in Falmouth Jamaica

Fellow Cruisers, we will be on the Allure on 6/19/11 and would like to hear from anyone who can recommend the best beach to go to in Falmouth Jamaica. Thank you in advance to those who reply !

Portslug April 22nd, 2011 10:02 AM

On the Oaisis 6/25/11 wondering the same thing...anyone recently there advise. Also how is the area right off the ship...anywhere to grab a red stripe inside the port area? The youtube videos of people returning to the port area looked a little crazy. Dose not seem like a whole lot of info out there on this new port that is too positive.

DJLDRUMS April 22nd, 2011 02:41 PM

Falmouth Jamaica

Hey guy,
If you are a memeber of *edited for content* look at my post asking about beaches to go to in Falmouth that I posted late last night. To date I have had 5 replies suggesting that Falmouth is NOT a place to venture off the ship for many reasons. Check it out and maybe that will give you some suggestions.

Queen of Diamonds April 22nd, 2011 05:08 PM

Not enough people have been there yet (it's a new stop) to give you an idea of the beaches.... however those that have been are complaining bitterly on CC...

amiable April 27th, 2011 01:13 PM

No beach to my knowledge in Falmouth. You probably will have to go to Dunns River on ship excursion. I was just at Falmouth on Allure - no beach just dock and shopping area. Obviously the area is still in the process of being built, construction equipment was in evidence. This might be an excuse for not having signage to assist the cruiser to go from the gangway through a building entering a courtyard and then proceeding to the dock shopping area. Most people go on bus tours or hire taxis which are accessed by walking to fenced area at the end of the dock. If you are not going on a bus tour you will waste your time going to that area and will be sent back by the police to the non signed entrance in the building. The police are in strong evidence all over the dock area. Once you get beyond the fenced in dock area you can walk into old town Falmouth. Be aware it is a poor area. There are no sidewalks. The buses and cars have little enough space to get by which leaves little space for pedestrians. There is a shopping area for the natives - don't expect to find bargains - under the blue tents about a half mile from the port area - you can see this blue tent from the Allure. Warning don't take pictures in this area - natives don't like to have their pictures. The goods in the native market are primarily meant to meet the domestic needs of the citizens. I would say don't go into this area and stick with the ship excursions.

Portslug April 28th, 2011 08:16 PM

Thanks Amiable.

SophySeaDog May 1st, 2011 02:37 PM

Hello everyone, anyone try the Breezes Starfish Resort & Spa excursion?It looks like it could be OK.

Lee

AF1 May 2nd, 2011 06:18 PM

I have heard several people have taken taxi's to the Hilton Resort; all inclusive; u pay one price and it includes; water park, beach, chairs, and food.
http://www1.hilton.com/en_US/hi/hote...1&pSearch=true

DiamondMember May 5th, 2011 12:54 PM

How do you pay this one price without being a hotel guest? Is it something you pre-book through Hilton directly or through the cruise ship? Alternatively are you suggesting folks just took a cab to the hotel and someone at the check-in counter charged them a fee?

AF1 May 5th, 2011 05:04 PM

thru the hotel. I read a thread on another website and they said, they take a taxi, show up at hotel, tell them u are on a cruise, and pay the daily rate. The people who have done this rave about the hotel and all the services.

DiamondMember May 6th, 2011 02:20 PM

Just called the Hilton directly. It's $75 and you can buy the package at the pier itself. They are a 20 minute shuttle ride from the ship. It includes booze, food, towels, water park, transporation to/from hotel.

AF1 May 8th, 2011 07:38 PM

Diamond Member thank you for checking this out. It will help a lot of people make a decision for this port.

DiamondMember May 10th, 2011 09:46 PM

No problem, sailing on oasis in three weeks and plan to check it out.

Dave Beers May 13th, 2011 05:16 PM

I'll also be on the June 19 Allure cruise. I was planning on just ambling around Falmouth but the Hilton package does look interesting.

Doug S May 13th, 2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Beers (Post 1370898)
I'll also be on the June 19 Allure cruise. I was planning on just ambling around Falmouth but the Hilton package does look interesting.

I was on the first RCI ship to dock at Falmouth. Unless things have changed a lot I'd recommend against 'ambling around'. I'm a pretty big guy, and I've wandered around many carribean ports o call, but I had no desire to venture too far from the dock side shops with my lovely wife in tow. Do the little $10 historic city tour tram and have the security of the group. I saw very few passengers just ambling off into town, and they were young and naieve. There is a taxi stand within the protected dock area and you can easily book transportation to where-ever you need to go, and even group up there for group runs to beaches in passenger vans...

Just my 2 cents worth...

Dave Beers May 16th, 2011 02:27 PM

Well, I meant 'ambling' around the area at the piers and not the area outside.;)

After your visit there and the problems that the cruise passengers reportedly encountered with harassment, drug offers, prostitutes, etc., Jamaican authorities allegedly have cracked down. We'll see.

Doug S May 16th, 2011 03:30 PM

Not trying to be a know it all. Just that having been there it is not yet like many of the other ports in the gulf, and want you and others to stay safe.

The dock area was perfectly fine, but far from complete. The little local tram tour (no advance booking was needed for us) seemed safe enough. It was eye opening trolleying down the streets seeing the stark poverty mixed with really old historic churches. The locals were dressed like homeless people, but when passing schools, all the school children came out to wave in their nice uniforms. I recall the only restaurant I saw in the local area had a wooden plaquard nailed by the door with about 4 choices of quisine scrawled on it. Definitely worth a look-see.

Be safe. Have fun. I'll be back there Dec 26-Jan 2 this year with the extended family on the Mariner, so I will see how much has changed from the inaugral visit.

Doug

Dave Beers May 17th, 2011 06:05 PM

I'm really not a fan of Jamaica. I first went there (Ocho Rios) in 1981 and it was a different place back then. We actually walked from Ocho to Dunn's River Falls and never once got hassled. I could walk all over Ocho at night and felt safe.

Last summer I went into the pier shopping area in Mo Bay, bought a Red Stripe and a couple of t-shirts and went back aboard the ship. That was enough.

michelledcohen October 9th, 2011 06:26 PM

Hi all, First time post, first time cruise. Allure in Nov 2011. Getting excited.
I have a few questions and this thread looked like a good place to start:)
Did anyone ever go to the hilton rose hall for the day? How about transfers? or just a taxi? just called today with a few questions, very friendly and lots of answers. directed me to Jamicaforaday.com. Anyone use this? Thanks for now, I'm sure I'll come up with more.

Donna October 9th, 2011 07:19 PM

Welcome Michelle,
I will be on Allure of the Seas a week from today, will be packing this week....Make sure you go to the Royal Caribbean web-site and enter all your information, fill out the sea pass, etc. You should be able to view all the different ship excursions, to get an idea of what is available at each port. Depending on the port, it is sometimes a good idea to use the ship excursion, especially if there is a time frame. When booking through the cruiseline, they will usually wait on you if the tour is running late, if you do your own, you are on your own, so pick accordingly. There are many tours you can easily book on your own and be fine....

Merg55 October 20th, 2011 08:45 PM

We are going in December and I have already made reservations to go to the Hilton but I used Resortforaday.com or Jamicaforaday.com to reserve. They provide the transportation there and back for $35 per person and then I think it is $45 when you get to the resort. (if you do want transportation, you do have to pay it using paypal etc.)
The first time we went to Jamacia, there was around 50 folks that ended up getting robbed... some took non government taxis and they would take them where they wanted but then demanded more money to take them back to the ship. Our taxi driver became our bodyguard when we went shopping.
Therefore we are just doing the resort for a day thing and relax.

Manuel October 21st, 2011 02:06 AM

I will be waiting for moe comments. We will be on the Oasis april 14th. cruise.

TM

johnthed0g October 21st, 2011 08:16 AM

There will be those who say Jamaica is fine, these are either those who have been many times & are comfortable or those who are just naive & think it won't happen to them...but it often does! Do a trip or stay on the ship I would say. We went to Negril on our recent trip but that is WAY too far from Falmouth.

shenglu November 14th, 2011 12:10 AM

Has anyone been to the Hilton Rose Hall day? How to transfer? Or just a taxi it? Is today called a few questions, ***Edited to remove commercial reference*** very friendly, a lot of answers. Directed me Jamicaforaday.com. Anyone use this?

briguy November 19th, 2011 11:55 AM

Going on the Allure in January and I will spend the port day of Falmouth sitting my butt on the ship. Let the crowds explore the port while I relax in the solitude of quiet pools, bars and restaurants...Nice...

Donna November 19th, 2011 07:25 PM

Hi Brig,
We did that last month while on Allure when we were in St. Thomas....It was pure bliss, had a nice relaxing day at the pool..

courtneytaylor May 28th, 2012 03:07 AM

Go to Montego Bay beaches- Doctor's Cave or Aquasol instead of the resort $5 admission and $25 taxi fair

EMG May 29th, 2012 11:03 AM

I just came back from Falmouth and I hired a driver for the day. My driver actually took us to Negril for the day. There are no beaches in Falmouth per say but you have the hip strip and other beaches in Montego Bay that are very nice. If you're interested in the drivers information let me know, send me a PM and I will forward it to you. My driver was is a native Jamaican but spent time in the US and went to college here then went back.

courtneytaylor June 20th, 2012 10:50 AM

While Negril has the best beaches on the island, to drive 4 hours round trip from a cruise ship in Falmouth is not a good idea. I recommended go to Montego Bay for the day. I can set it up for you just PM me for more info